Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following announcements from JBL and Philips regarding their new speaker docks compatible with Apple's Lightning connector, Bose has begun advertising its upcoming SoundDock III digital music system for Lightning-equipped devices. The SoundDock III is priced at $249.95 and is currently listed as shipping in 7-10 business days, making for a rather tight delivery window for holiday shoppers.
The SoundDock Series III digital music system lets you play music from any iPod or iPhone model with an Apple Lightning connector, and enjoy it with Bose quality sound.

- Proprietary acoustic design delivers a unique combination of small size and proven performance.
- Convenient remote controls the system and basic iPod or iPhone functions, including playlist navigation.
- Works with and charges iPod and iPhone models with an Apple Lightning connector.
- Auxiliary input lets you play other audio devices.
bose_sounddock_lightning.jpg
Like JBL, Bose was one of the vendors mentioned by Apple at its September media event as being an early partner on the new Lightning connector. Other early partners who have yet to announce their Lightning speaker products include Bowers & Wilkins and Bang & Olufson, although the latter has announced a free upgrade program that will allow owners of the BeoPlay A8 system to upgrade to the Lightning connector if they prefer a direct connection rather than using the system's AirPlay capabilities.

Article Link: Bose SoundDock III with Lightning Support Shipping Later This Month for $250

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
just wondering.. is there a way where i cld buy this bose attachment (lightning connector protruding thingy) and just replace it into my old bose (diy).

unr1

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Can somebody explain me what the point of this product is?
The bluetooth speaker systems are superior to this.. no plugging in, the iPhone itself is the remote.

Why is this even on the market these days?

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Am I actually in before people start bashing Bose? Incredible!

I couldn't be happier with my QC 15's.

And Bose customer support is by far the best I have encountered in any industry.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
The bluetooth speaker systems are superior to this.. no plugging in, the iPhone itself is the remote.

cos it's a docking station, u do know what that is for, right?

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
sounds good to me. however, I'll stick with my JBL sounddock that has airplay, since I prefer doing that anyways

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

Docking stations charge the iPod and typically (not in this case) also act as alarm clocks that play the iPod's music. And is Bluetooth really as good as digital audio over Lightning? That's not a rhetorical question.

----------

$250?! That thing had better have some really, really nice speakers to cost that much.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA

And Bose customer support is by far the best I have encountered in any industry.

I enjoy all of my Bose equipment. No it is not audiophile quality nor hi-fi. It was never meant to be. It is good looking easy to use equipment that sounds very good to most people and lasts for years. That's it. Most consumers are very happy with the products, however audiophiles don't like the colored Bose sound.

You are also very correct as far as customer service goes. You always get a very knowledgable Customer Service rep on the second or third ring right from the headquarters in Framingham, MA. They will do whatever it takes to keep you a happy customer and I have even had them take care of products that were out of warranty. Believe me there is no better customer service in the consumer electronics industry.

With all of that said, I decided to go with the SoundLink Mobile Speaker over the SoundDock. Even though it probably has a little less power it is more portable and has a rechargeable battery. It also uses Bluetooth so it works with my Droid, iPod and iPad.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
No highs, no lows...must be Bose.

Bose:

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

Bose...selling a $300 surround system to the ill informed for $2200.

Bose...the power of marketing.

"Why don't you buy a Bose system? I hear they are the best."

"Who told you that?"

"They did."

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
No highs, no lows...must be Bose.

Bose:

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

Bose...selling a $300 surround system to the ill informed for $2200.

Bose...the power of marketing.

"Why don't you buy a Bose system? I hear they are the best."

"Who told you that?"

"They did."

I am very informed and I am quite happy with my Lifestyle V20. I have been using it for several years no issues and I will be using it for many more years. Whenever I do have a question or issue I can count on someone that is knowledgeable answering the phone from Framingham, MA that will take care of my issue even if the warranty period is over.

Go ahead and buy whatever you want and then when you have an issue deal with people that can't even speak English and put you on hold for 30 minutes. Been there done that.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
personally, if u can't afford them, dont whine abt it.

I'll put my $1200 Paradigm system against their $2200 system any day of the week.

Hell, I'll put my $250 Samsung soundbar against their $1500 soundbar. There's a reason why Bose refuses to let professional reviewers get their hands on their equipment.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I'll put my $1200 Paradigm system against their $2200 system any day of the week.

Hell, I'll put my $250 Samsung soundbar against their $1500 soundbar. There's a reason why Bose refuses to let professional reviewers get their hands on their equipment.

Bose stops people from going out and buying equipment?

----------

I enjoy all of my Bose equipment. No it is not audiophile quality nor hi-fi. It was never meant to be. It is good looking easy to use equipment that sounds very good to most people and lasts for years. That's it. Most consumers are very happy with the products, however audiophiles don't like the colored Bose sound.

You are also very correct as far as customer service goes. You always get a very knowledgable Customer Service rep on the second or third ring right from the headquarters in Framingham, MA. They will do whatever it takes to keep you a happy customer and I have even had them take care of products that were out of warranty. Believe me there is no better customer service in the consumer electronics industry.

With all of that said, I decided to go with the SoundLink Mobile Speaker over the SoundDock. Even though it probably has a little less power it is more portable and has a rechargeable battery. It also uses Bluetooth so it works with my Droid, iPod and iPad.

I like how they extend my warranty by a full year every time they do a replacement. I've had by headphones for 3 years and they're still in warranty. I wish I could afford their more expensive equipment, because I'm sure the experience is just as nice.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006

----------

I like how they extend my warranty by a full year every time they do a replacement. I've had by headphones for 3 years and they're still in warranty. I wish I could afford their more expensive equipment, because I'm sure the experience is just as nice.

Buy a Klipsch system for 1/3 the price and prepare to be blown away by the difference

ChristIsLORD

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011

Just quoting this for page 1 since the asinine anti-Bose bashing just got underway.

Quiet Comforts are amazing and I still love my Wave Radio I got in the mid 90s. Proudly American made just outside the best city in the world.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
I am very informed and I am quite happy with my Lifestyle V20. I have been using it for several years no issues and I will be using it for many more years. Whenever I do have a question or issue I can count on someone that is knowledgeable answering the phone from Framingham, MA that will take care of my issue even if the warranty period is over.

Go ahead and buy whatever you want and then when you have an issue deal with people that can't even speak English and put you on hold for 30 minutes. Been there done that.

You're absolutely right. The lifestyle is a boss!

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Why would anyone buy these things. For that price you could get AudioEngine A2s and a refurbished Airport Express. Much better sound + AirPlay. I just don't get this product, ever since AirPlay has been out.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I've got a SoundDock II portable, have had it over four years now, not a hiccup, and sounds fantastic for a portable radio. Bash all you want, they make a quality product.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

I wish I could afford their more expensive equipment, because I'm sure the experience is just as nice.
They sued Consumer Reports once upon a time. And threatened other magazines when they reported actual measured amplifier and speaker specs for Bose products. (like they do for all such reviews) Bose refuses to report real specs for some of their products. Most of the mags just quit reviewing Bose.

Their more expensive stuff is the Lifestyle cube systems, and they are very poor in real playback. They simply miss too many frequencies.

spb3

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
10 Dec - first business day
18 Dec - 7th business day (tue)
21 Dec - 10th business day (fri)
24 Dec - next business day after 10th business day.

7-10 business days to ship - really tight for holiday shoppers.
7-10 business days to receive - impossible.

The SoundDock III is priced at $249.95 and is currently listed as shipping in 7-10 business days, making for a rather tight delivery window for holiday shoppers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.