Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheLastSpartan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Okay, so I have my eyes on this MacBook Pro, it is an older model and much cheaper, but I do have a few questions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GSLU3E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A25LRA25IHTSJC

How well will it run Adobe programs, such as Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Dreamweaver, etc? I also plan on using it for general college stuff like note taking, writing papers, etc. As far as other uses go, Minecraft is the only game I really play anymore, and I like to surf the web and watch youtube videos. Thanks guys!

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Okay, so I have my eyes on this MacBook Pro, it is an older model and much cheaper, but I do have a few questions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GSLU3E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A25LRA25IHTSJC

How well will it run Adobe programs, such as Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Dreamweaver, etc? I also plan on using it for general college stuff like note taking, writing papers, etc. As far as other uses go, Minecraft is the only game I really play anymore, and I like to surf the web and watch youtube videos. Thanks guys!

This will run everything fine and probably better than you'd expect. it is a C2D and 2.4GHz, so you should have no reason to worry about that machine. I have an iBook G4 PPC 1.33 GHz that does almost every task perfectly(except the most recent Flash) and it is a little bit slower than newer machines.

That being said, make sure the seller's description of the machine and all the specs they list actually match the machine that they're saying it is. There are often people here that put their computers in the wrong category on purpose to get a sale. I've actually reported a few. For example, the seller put in the info that the color of the machine is "white." The seller is also stating that the weight is 9 lbs, when I think the weight of the machine and the bo should only weigh 5lbs.

AND, that machine was originally released with Snow Leopard, which means anyone advertising that it has either Lion or Mountain Lion is scamming you because both of those OSes are tied to an AppleID and you would be responsible for purchasing it and downloading it yourself.

PLUS, if memory serves me properly, that model was also shipped with 4GB RAM standard, so the seller selling it with only 2GB is also scamming you.

Visit www.everymac.com to see which machine it is and what the real specs are before you buy from Amazon.

Last edited:

TheLastSpartan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
This will run everything fine and probably better than you'd expect. it is a C2D and 2.4GHz, so you should have no reason to worry about that machine. I have an iBook G4 PPC 1.33 GHz that does almost every task perfectly(except the most recent Flash) and it is a little bit slower than newer machines.

That being said, make sure the seller's description of the machine and all the specs they list actually match the machine that they're saying it is. There are often people here that put their computers in the wrong category on purpose to get a sale. I've actually reported a few. For example, the seller put in the info that the color of the machine is "white." The seller is also stating that the weight is 9 lbs, when I think the weight of the machine and the bo should only weigh 5lbs.

AND, that machine was originally released with Snow Leopard, which means anyone advertising that it has either Lion or Mountain Lion is scamming you because both of those OSes are tied to an AppleID and you would be responsible for purchasing it and downloading it yourself.

PLUS, if memory serves me properly, that model was also shipped with 4GB RAM standard, so the seller selling it with only 2GB is also scamming you.

Visit www.everymac.com to see which machine it is and what the real specs are before you buy from Amazon.

Thanks for all the information! I was thinking of buying the $645 one that has 8 gigs of ram installed.

Tylers86

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011

Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM for CS? Maybe if it is very, very light work. After Effects and Premiere are immensely dependent on internal components. The best Core 2 Duo isn't comparable to worst current i series processor from Intel. If your machine bottle necking on Standard Definition After Effects comp's with just a few layers doesn't bother, dive right in.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Thanks for all the information! I was thinking of buying the $645 one that has 8 gigs of ram installed.

I would buy the one from USCMBABOOKS that's listed for 634.99. Seems honest about the OS, stated what it was used for, no exclamation points, expedited shipping available. Just contact the seller beforehand to ask how much RAM is installed. truthfully though, RAM is getting cheaper by the day and you can get an 8GB RAM kit from OWC for $48.

The one you like is too excited, can't spell and is using too much to get a buyer's attention, and only mentions a small dent at the end.Stuff like that makes me nervous.

But whichever one you choose, be sure to leave feedback because if you are considering the other one just because the one I suggested just launched; that status is deceiving. I have sold watches,books, little collectables, and my status still shows as "New" because I haven't received feedback from any of the buyers.

----------

Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM for CS? Maybe if it is very, very light work. After Effects and Premiere are immensely dependent on internal components. The best Core 2 Duo isn't comparable to worst current i series processor from Intel. If your machine bottle necking on Standard Definition After Effects comp's with just a few layers doesn't bother, dive right in.

True enough if he keeps it at 4GB RAM and uses the newest release of those applications, but maxed out at 8GB and using an earlier version of each of those(that would also save a lot of money) would work wonderfully.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.