Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?
Flawless 1,155 46.24%
Flawless because I put a case on it. 198 7.93%
Scuffed out of the box 816 32.67%
Scuffed/scratched shortly after 329 13.17%
Voters: 2498. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:39 PM   #4501
blue-bear
macrumors newbie

just got back from the apple store not long ago to swap over my iphone that kept dropping off the wifi.

got a week 41 (DN Factory) and i have to say its absolutely flawless
blue-bear is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:41 AM   #4502
Scott2345
macrumors regular

I heard they fixed the problem on the black model is this true? I sure hope so, I ordered a factory unlock black.
Scott2345 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:02 PM   #4503
mgb1120
macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat, have until the 15th to get it replaced I have a 16gb black and the back has some spots on it, yet the bezel is perfect no nicks or scuffs. Ugh. Anyone think they fixed the issues with the black or no?
mgb1120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:31 PM   #4504
itjw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2345 View Post
I heard they fixed the problem on the black model is this true? I sure hope so, I ordered a factory unlock black.
There is no "problem" to fix. Aluminum shows marks easier than steel. If you receive one with damage out of the box (unlikely but possible), exchange it for another until your level of OCD is satisfied (nearly everything, even $200K Bentley's, have SOME miniscule flaws if you look hard enough... it's all about how hard you look).

As a reward for it being aluminum it's thinner, lighter, doesn't shatter, and is much more likely to survive a drop and still be usable. But ya, it does scratch slightly easier if you don't care for it...

The "problem" is with user expectations. Not the best iPhone ever produced (the 5).

Enjoy the phone
itjw is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:14 PM   #4505
Jimrod
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjw View Post
There is no "problem" to fix. Aluminum shows marks easier than steel. If you receive one with damage out of the box (unlikely but possible), exchange it for another until your level of OCD is satisfied (nearly everything, even $200K Bentley's, have SOME miniscule flaws if you look hard enough... it's all about how hard you look).

As a reward for it being aluminum it's thinner, lighter, doesn't shatter, and is much more likely to survive a drop and still be usable. But ya, it does scratch slightly easier if you don't care for it...

The "problem" is with user expectations. Not the best iPhone ever produced (the 5).

Enjoy the phone
The phone is five inches long, not fifteen feet, it's easier to make "perfect", if the material is too soft use something else. If the materials aren't up to daily wear and tear as a device that's used in the hand they shouldn't be used, nothing to do with OCD.

My black iPhone 5 is fine btw, just saying for people who have issues with theirs.
Jimrod is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:43 PM   #4506
sewer-surfer
macrumors newbie

I also wanna throw in my 2 cents about the iphone 5 (black) build quality:
I received my iPhone 5 two weeks ago and it had a dent on the left frame, right out of the box. There was also a glue stain on the top.
Apple customer service was very helpful and they sent me a new iphone.

I took the new one out of the box and it didnīt show any dents, scratches etc. However, after only 3 days of using it, I can already see some silver spots (sice of a dust particle) on the frame. Itīs the black coating comming off. I am absolutely sure that I have not damaged the iphone myself, since the spots are right on the edge of the frame (just where it touches the display) and you canīt even touch that spot with your fingers. Also, I carry it in a soft pouch.

My question is if this is "normal" and something you simply have to life with with the black iphone 5 or if itīs yet another faulty iphone and should be replaced again.
I am really not searching for problems and I get that not every product can be a 100 % perfect, but I donīt wanna be stuck with an iPhone where the frame sort of destroys itself.
sewer-surfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:39 AM   #4507
JohnnyAndre
macrumors regular

see vendor information in user profile
It's normal, something you have to deal with if you own a black iPhone 5. That's why I bought a Lumia 920.
Wii U Deluxe - 3DSXL Red - PC - 360 - PS2 - Dreamcast
JohnnyAndre is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:52 AM   #4508
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Enjoy the phone
Whew, good thing you clarified that no one has any problems with the materials, build quality or finish of the iPhone 5 (I'm sure maps works great for you too). I guess the internet can go home now.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:31 PM   #4509
ferganer
macrumors newbie

Got a week 47 iPhone yesterday. What a beautiful and solid phone. It does have a small dent on one of the corners OOB. But I am not OCDing over it. As long as it's not something like dead pixels, battery problems, signal issues, I don't care.

Overall, I am super happy. Let's see what long-term durability is like.
ferganer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:59 PM   #4510
itjw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
Whew, good thing you clarified that no one has any problems with the materials, build quality or finish of the iPhone 5 (I'm sure maps works great for you too). I guess the internet can go home now.
THANK YOU! Finally SOMEONE who GETS IT!!! *big hugs*

The VAST majority of folks have NO problems.

Might a few abberations exist? Sure. Luckily, unlike our plastiphone Samsung frenemies, iPhone owners can arrange a simple swap in the event they do receive one of the few hundreds of phones that have actual problems.

If you need to return dozens of phones I've got news for you: The phone isn't the one with the problem
itjw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:46 PM   #4511
Nale72
macrumors regular

Quote:
Might a few abberations exist? Sure. Luckily, unlike our plastiphone Samsung frenemies, iPhone owners can arrange a simple swap in the event they do receive one of the few hundreds of phones that have actual problems.
Just out of the iPhone 5 owners in the world finding this very thread on this forum, appr. 788 users (so far) got scuffed phones out of the box (and if any of these got several scuffed ones, they still just count as one in the survey). This leads me to believe that there are a tad more than a few hundred phones with a problem out there (if a scuffed phone out of the box is concidered a problem that is).

But I agree that its very likely that the vast majority out there have no problems (if the crappy maps are not considered a problem that is )
Nale72 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:14 PM   #4512
itjw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nale72 View Post
Just out of the iPhone 5 owners in the world finding this very thread on this forum, appr. 788 users (so far) got scuffed phones out of the box (and if any of these got several scuffed ones, they still just count as one in the survey). This leads me to believe that there are a tad more than a few hundred phones with a problem out there (if a scuffed phone out of the box is concidered a problem that is).

But I agree that its very likely that the vast majority out there have no problems (if the crappy maps are not considered a problem that is )
Right. 788 users, on a rabid fanboy forum (myself included, no offense intended) with no verification (they might not even OWN an i5 let alone one with scuffs), and no way to tell otherwise.

Again, not saying there aren't cases of machining marks happening out of the box, just that it has been blown WAY out of proportion (especially when you consider that with all of the pages of replies we have here, there have STILL been less than 1000 claims).

Apple has not confirmed any problems at all. TIME magazine named the i5 the "gadget of the year" (over the SGS3 and Note 2 BTW). The phone is still selling as fast as they can make them, nearly 3 months AFTER launch.

"Scuffgate" isn't real. It's a way for those with OCD to justify returning phone after phone in the search for "perfection" and to not feel as crazy as they look in doing so. It's ok. They are well within their rights to return it as many times as Apple will let them, but I stand by my statement: The phone isn't the one with the problem.

itjw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:03 PM   #4513
nwmtnbiker
macrumors 65816

I don't know why I keep clicking on this thread I feel like an idiot lol...
nwmtnbiker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:34 PM   #4514
desistyle
macrumors regular

Here's mine. 1.5 months of use - slight nicks on the backside (last 2 pics):

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355290396.765137.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	383000

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355290420.167483.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	383001

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355290432.346680.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	383002

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355290450.041130.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	383003

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355290460.810677.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	383004
desistyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:33 AM   #4515
thedonutbandit
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
You're an idiot.
I second that, my good sir. I am testament to not being overly OCD about my phone. I had several iphone 5s with little scratches I could live with. But even those who are not OCD got busted up phones. In fact, one of the times I was at the apple store, the genius opened 5 replacements.

He did not do this because I asked him to (the phone I had brought in had a large chip in the screen), he continued opening iphone 5s because he said he would not give me something that looked like it had been dropped and dragged against concrete. Oh and when I finally got a phone that didn't look like crud, two weeks later , the screen goes completely dead. My replacement arrives tomorrow in the mail.
thedonutbandit is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:07 AM   #4516
swervinsuburban
macrumors regular

My phone has SIM card problems, I do think that this phone was rushed to the market with some known flaws.
swervinsuburban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:18 AM   #4517
Kukulcan
macrumors 6502

Have mine for a month now, flawless out of the box and not a single nick yet (no case, front pocket but without extra money or keys, lies it on hard surfaces all day, not really going easy on it).
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:12 AM   #4518
CasperRooney
macrumors newbie

oh darn

This is what mine looks like after 6 weeks. Using AIAIAI TMA-1 headphones.

Name:	foto.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	552.1 KB
ID:	383039

Hope they give me a new one, then I will wrap it up all good, and newer use a headset again!
CasperRooney is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:46 AM   #4519
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

I really don't understand how you expect the phone NOT to get scratches if you aren't using a case. Seems obvious.

Also surprised so many people carry their phones without a case.

I'm definitely getting a case if i get a 'smart'phone.
mackandproud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:18 AM   #4520
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nale72 View Post

Something to think about though is that if someone has a problem the first thing they do is go to the internet. When you just google "iphone 5 nicks" macrumors is one of the first links. It is not like people are just happening to stumble across these forums....and I would venture to say a TON of those 788's are new users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desistyle View Post
Here's mine. 1.5 months of use - slight nicks on the backside (last 2 pics):

Attachment 383000

Attachment 383001

Attachment 383002

Attachment 383003

Attachment 383004
I would say that is exactly how mine looks and I got it at launch. A few very small speckles that someone would have to look for to notice.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperRooney View Post
Attachment 383039

Hope they give me a new one, then I will wrap it up all good, and newer use a headset again!
Honestly, without applecare+ they may not give you a new phone. However, that is definitely caused from the headphone cable rubbing on the bottom...and there is nothing you could have done to prevent that. I could see if it looked like stab marks from trying to plug it in and missing, but that is clearly caused by the friction in normal usage. That should be consider a manufacturing flaw IMO
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:09 AM   #4521
CasperRooney
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Honestly, without applecare+ they may not give you a new phone. However, that is definitely caused from the headphone cable rubbing on the bottom...and there is nothing you could have done to prevent that. I could see if it looked like stab marks from trying to plug it in and missing, but that is clearly caused by the friction in normal usage. That should be consider a manufacturing flaw IMO
I hope they find the coloring to poor, and thats why the raw alu is showing.
It should hold up better than that. I have my headset plugged in 2 times a day about 30 min.
But your right about the friction point. The jack on the cable is angled, so it gets turned alot, therefor the friction. People with "normal" straight jack cables wont get the same friction, so maybe itīs not a problem for others.

But I cross my fingers for a new one!
CasperRooney is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:32 AM   #4522
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
I hope they find the coloring to poor, and thats why the raw alu is showing.
It should hold up better than that. I have my headset plugged in 2 times a day about 30 min.
But your right about the friction point. The jack on the cable is angled, so it gets turned alot, therefor the friction. People with "normal" straight jack cables wont get the same friction, so maybe itīs not a problem for others.

But I cross my fingers for a new one!
I have heard of them offering people applecare+ when something like this happens even if they are outside of the 30 days. May not be free, but $150 (applecare+ and deductible) is much better than the $229 out of warranty price.
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:56 AM   #4523
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Attachment 383039

It's what happens when you have metal to metal contact on a coated surface. Friction will cause that. It's not a defect. Nothing is permanent.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:18 AM   #4524
Leggy2012
macrumors newbie

I have had my iPhone 5 white 32GB for 2 months now and there will be scuffs, it is inevitable. The most common place to get scuffs is on the champhered edges which have a too many scuffs for my liking and I also keep my iPhone in a case as I am a very careful person however it is inevitable
Leggy2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:05 AM   #4525
duhyes
macrumors member

so i might buy an iphone this christmas will it be scuffed out of the box?
and if it's scuffed out of the box can i get a new one(im buying a contract btw)
duhyes is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone