Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
im gonna say it again..
pple who cant afford them.. shld quit whining. no one is interested to hear ur 1cent worth.

mkbook

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
I dont understand how people here can say Bose systems are junk :confused: i do agree they are overpriced but you also pay for the brand name and costumer service plus build quality; i dont see anybody complaint about apple here in that regard, they also sell overpriced stuff but by no means are junk.

Overpriced meaning you don't get what you pay for. I paid $800 for my AirPlay speaker. Overpriced means they're selling you a $2 speaker for $300. Get a B&W speaker for your iPhone if you care about quality.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Well that's not to fair since with the Sony you are probably going to get more bass, while the Bose headphones aren't know for its punchier bass, or forward mids like Sony can be.

How is that an unfair comparison? I'll say now that I'm not an audiophile, but I appreciate high-quality audio and am not like those people who use earbuds and MP3 audio. I gathered opinions from a few people, and all liked my $40 Sony MDR-XD200 headphones the same or better than some $200 Bose set. I think they're about the same, but the Bose headphones are comfier.

----------

im gonna say it again..
pple who cant afford them.. shld quit whining. no one is interested to hear ur 1cent worth.

Who here can't afford Bose speakers and is whining about them? I'd whine about your lack of vowels though.

mkbook

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
im gonna say it again..

I love this argument. I paid $800 for my B&W AirPlay speaker last week. I also have Sennheiser HD 800 headphones with a Luxman amp. Bose is for people who don't know any better, for those who don't spend a few days doing some A/B listening at stores, for those that don't know what high end is.

People are trying to help you. Get something better for less money, or spend a few dollars more and get something dramatically better. Such hostility for trying to get you better audio. Unbelievable. Enjoy Bose. I don't know how, but enjoy it. Stare at the logo as you try to struggle to stay focused to your dull sounding music and enjoy.

Last edited:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Overpriced meaning you don't get what you pay for. I paid $800 for my AirPlay speaker. Overpriced means they're selling you a $2 speaker for $300. Get a B&W speaker for your iPhone if you care about quality.

You pay for a speaker and thats what you get :confused: dont understand whats so hard about it, those airplay speakers are also overpriced mate but you got what you pay for.

Regarding audio quality thats the last i would expect from my iphone/ipad :eek:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
You pay for a speaker and thats what you get :confused: dont understand whats so hard about it, those airplay speakers are also overpriced mate but you got what you pay for.

An Airport Express can serve as an Airplay host, and it's gotta be less money than any premium you pay to have Airplay-enabled speakers. So it's cheaper to buy an AirPort Express and a speaker system, plus you can use it for other systems, and you get a wifi router.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
An Airport Express can serve as an Airplay host, and it's gotta be less money than any premium you pay to have Airplay-enabled speakers. So it's cheaper to buy an AirPort Express and a speaker system, plus you can use it for other systems, and you get a wifi router.

Another good alternative.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I haven't use a fidelity measure, but every magazine in the past that tried to measure their frequency response or any other specs have gotten in trouble by Bose.

I can't understand how this is so. It's surely the same as testing a car and posting economy and performance figures? As long as the test method is consistent and posted for people to look at how can they be sued for it?

As to the theatres in their shops, rubbish. Almost all manufacturers do it. They are not acoustically perfect, what they tend to be is tailored. Strategically placed sofas, carpets on walls, lack of bookcases etc - ie nothing like the room they are going to be used in when you get them home.

----------

Who here can't afford Bose speakers and is whining about them? I'd whine about your lack of vowels though.
+1. I have no idea why that kind of typing annoys me but it does.

Last edited:

KSouder

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
North Carolina
I love this argument. I paid $800 for my B&W AirPlay speaker last week. I also have Sennheiser HD 800 headphones with a Luxman amp. Bose is for people who don't know any better, for those who don't spend a few days doing some A/B listening at stores, for those that don't know what high end is.

People are trying to help you. Get something better for less money, or spend a few dollars more and get something dramatically better. Such hostility for trying to get you better audio. Unbelievable. Enjoy Bose. I don't know how, but enjoy it. Stare at the logo as you try to struggle to stay focused to your dull sounding music and enjoy.

Real audiophiles don't care about the brand or how much you paid for it! If you enjoy the sound love it!

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
I can't understand how this is so. It's surely the same as testing a car and posting economy and performance figures? As slong as the test method is consistent and posted for people to look at how can they be sued for it?

As to the theatres in their shops, rubbish. Almost all manufatcurers do it. They are not acoustically perfect, what they tend to be is tailored. Strategically placed sofas, carpets on walls, lack of bookcases etc - ie nothing like the room they are going to be used in when you get them home.

----------

+1. I have no idea why that kind of typing annoys me but it does.

what annoys me is trying to figure what the other party is trying to express. the irony huh.

----------

How is that an unfair comparison? I'll say now that I'm not an audiophile, but I appreciate high-quality audio and am not like those people who use earbuds and MP3 audio. I gathered opinions from a few people, and all liked my $40 Sony MDR-XD200 headphones the same or better than some $200 Bose set. I think they're about the same, but the Bose headphones are comfier.

----------

quit whining

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
what annoys me is trying to figure what the other party is trying to express. the irony huh.

LOL, yeah. Am rushing to get ready. That said, there is a difference between a simple typo and also btwn smbddi typn like this dlibratlee.
Also, you've underlined some terms that make me think, eh?

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
And the elephant (sized cock-up) in the room?

Apple should never have changed the origiinal dock connector and this conversation wouldn't have taken place.

Old Jobs' Apple-Good
New (Change For Changes Sake Cos We've Run Out Of Ideas) Apple-Bad

It Wasn't Broken ....:confused:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
And the elephant (sized cock-up) in the room?

Apple should never have changed the origiinal dock connector and this conversation wouldn't have taken place.

Old Jobs' Apple-Good
New (Change For Changes Sake Cos We've Run Out Of Ideas) Apple-Bad

It Wasn't Broken ....:confused:

What was your opinion of the 1st proprietary 30-pin dock connector? Good? Bad?

So why is the 2nd proprietary dock connector such a big deal?

Oh I see... it was your fault for buying into the 1st proprietary dock connector... and amassing quite a collection of 30-pin cords and accessories. Oops...

There's such a double-standard with this topic...

Proprietary is bad... right? That's what I always hear.

But apparently one proprietary connector is fine... however two is horrible...

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
People who buy Bose stuff are the same morons who buy $100 HDMI cables and $500 ethernet cables. Their stuff is garbage. Just because you have lots of money doesn't mean you have to waste it.

And does it really matter how good something sounds when you are playing compressed audio files into it? Garbage in, garbage out.

I'm sure you'll get excellent stereo separation on speakers that are 3 inches apart. What a joke. I could glue a dock connector to a clock radio and get the same quality. (Or is that what Bose really did here?)

And what's all this talk about customer support? Huh? If you knew what the hell you were doing, you wouldn't need this. What do you need it for? Are you calling up and asking how to plug it in? I don't get it. Unbox, plug into wall, stick phone into dock. Then what? Call someone on the phone to ask what button to press to make it go?

Arggh.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
People who buy Bose stuff are the same morons who buy $100 HDMI cables and $500 ethernet cables. Their stuff is garbage. Just because you have lots of money doesn't mean you have to waste it.

And does it really matter how good something sounds when you are playing compressed audio files into it? Garbage in, garbage out.

I'm sure you'll get excellent stereo separation on speakers that are 3 inches apart. What a joke. I could glue a dock connector to a clock radio and get the same quality. (Or is that what Bose really did here?)

And what's all this talk about customer support? Huh? If you knew what the hell you were doing, you wouldn't need this. What do you need it for? Are you calling up and asking how to plug it in? I don't get it. Unbox, plug into wall, stick phone into dock. Then what? Call someone on the phone to ask what button to press to make it go?

Arggh.
Not as simple as that. I don't/wouldn't buy bose but if something you want is nice then surely you wouldn't mind paying a premium for it?
I suspect also that the customer support is meant to say After sales Customer Support.
Some of your points are vaild though.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
Not as simple as that. I don't/wouldn't buy bose but if something you want is nice then surely you wouldn't mind paying a premium for it?
I suspect also that the customer support is meant to say After sales Customer Support.

I'll pay a premium for nice products. The problem here is that Bose products are all hype. They are not high quality.

What support do you need after the sale other than "this thing is broken, please send me a new one?"

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I'll pay a premium for nice products. The problem here is that Bose products are all hype. They are not high quality.

What support do you need after the sale other than "this thing is broken, please send me a new one?"

Well, having never owned a Bose product I can't comment on the quality, but they sure look nice and are seen as premium by most I'm sure.
Remember, even Toyotas break. It's important that when they do life is made easy to reach the goal you want.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I wouldn't say Bose products are garbage as such, they're generally okay but massively overpriced and fall into the marketing induced reality distortion field. Significantly better products can be had for less though, I don't think there's much debate to be had there.

The only Bose products I own are a pair of Bose Companion stereo PC speakers that I got for peanuts in an Amazon sale. Cost me about £40 iirc, they were a great buy actually, and have two sets of analogue inputs which come in handy for the small room PC setup I have. Under no circumstances would I have paid full whack for them though, they're normally ludicrously priced for what they are.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
But then it won't work with the older devices... Oh Apple sometimes you make things so difficult!

I'm sure you can plug older devices into the aux input. Of course you can't mount the device, but will still work fine.

----------

just wondering.. is there a way where i cld buy this bose attachment (lightning connector protruding thingy) and just replace it into my old bose (diy).

It works for me on my old system. (not Bose though). I don't see why it would't work with a Bose system. I haven't tried it and I am not saying it's guaranteed to work. My iPod is raised about an inch higher with the adapter in place. Yes, it looks kind of weird. :)

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Bose is garbage i use to see the stuff when i was younger. but this is just a sound dock nothing more nothing less it will sound just fine as well now being fully compatible with iPhone 5 and no adaptors.

----------

Last time i checked Bose is not even that expensive just overpriced. Mt mbp and iphone together cost more than their best speaker system. maybe if this was another brand computer forum but this is an apple forum nobody is crying poverty here.

EDIT: this really should have been more geared to the first post at the top of the page.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
All the people saying "Bose is garbage" truly don't have a clue, are over-exaggerating and have probably never even used one of their products, they are just following along with what is perceived to be true and the cool thing to say on teh INterW3bZ!!!!. Not to mention, all of the exact same arguments are made against Apple by the PC crowd. Bose and Apple target very similar markets.

With that said, they make mostly quality, good sounding products until you start getting into the $2000+ for a cubed home theater in a box system, and even that is quality, its just ridiculously over-priced. For that kind of money, I will second what another user said that you could buy an entire Klipsch Reference setup or something similar that would blow it out of the water.

Where Bose has nailed it though is headphones. I also own the QC 15's. One plane ride with a screaming baby and they pay for themselves! They also make pretty good car audio setups.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i bought bose because it looked the best. i got the dock where u can change the leather plates on the front and i havent regreted it so far. but im not an audiophile either, as long as it isnt mono and above 128kps i dont rly care

it makes enough "boom" to me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.