Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:45 AM   #1
leekohler
Banned

Russian Prime Minister Opposes Gay “Propaganda” Law

Good for Russia. Let's see what happens. I play hockey with several Russians and they've been very upset about this whole mess. Let's hope this turns around in a good way.

Quote:
Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev announced his opposition Friday to a pending national version of a “homosexual propaganda” law that has already been enacted in regions including St. Petersburg.

The leader of United Russia said during a TV interview that he believed the bill was unnecessary because “not all relations between people can be regulated by law,” according to Russia Today. He also said that his party, which holds the parliamentary majority, agreed with him.

Medvedev’s comments won praise from LGBT human rights advocates including Lady Gaga. The pop star tweeted, “Thank You Prime Minister Medvedev for not standing by your party's anti gay propaganda law & instead supporting my show+fans all over Russia.”

The bill, which is scheduled for its first hearing next week, targets the “promotion” of homosexuality to minors. Opponents of the legislation have criticized its potential chilling effect on free speech and health care needs.

“Laws that tell you who you can love -- and even what you can say about love -- don’t change who people are,” said Andre Banks, executive director and cofounder of AllOut.org. “If this bill passes, the law would force lesbian and gay Russians, and their friends and families, to live in even fear and isolation.”

Last month, a St. Petersburg court dismissed a $10.7 million lawsuit brought against Madonna by conservative groups who claimed she had violated the law at a concert. Gaga arrived in the city for a performance Saturday.
http://www.advocate.com/news/world-n...propaganda-law
leekohler is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:28 AM   #2
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Russia has a VERY long way to go. I'm so thankful my parents left there.
likemyorbs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
Good for Russia. Let's see what happens. I play hockey with several Russians and they've been very upset about this whole mess. Let's hope this turns around in a good way.

http://www.advocate.com/news/world-n...propaganda-law
I have long thought that D. A. Medvedev was always a bit more open-minded (and possibly, potentially even liberal) on a great many issues than his mentor; however, for a variety of reasons, he was not in a position to deliver while he served as president as his mentor - serving as PM at the time, but since returned to the kremlin as President - over-shadowed him, and managed to block quite a number of planned reforms.

My sense is that Mr Medvedev feels that now may be his last opportunity to make some sort of positive mark on Russian history and political & social culture; it is a pity that it seems to have taken him so long to make a stand for whatever principles he holds, but better late than never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
Russia has a VERY long way to go. I'm so thankful my parents left there.
Yes, indeed. A long, tortuous and uneven way to go, yet.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:03 AM   #4
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Yes, indeed. A long, tortuous and uneven way to go, yet.
Yes, but this is a huge leap. No politician has even come close to saying anything like this.
leekohler is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

Quote:
Yes, but this is a huge leap. No politician has even come close to saying anything like this.
I agree completely; I remember that when Mr Medvedev became President in 2008 there was some guarded optimism, because he was considered in some quarters to have been something of a liberal. While he served as President, President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton attempted to cultivate a relationship with Mr Medvedev (in the process, hoping to bypass, or at least sideline a little the somewhat baleful influence of Mr Putin) but little came of it despite the fact that foreign affairs were considered the remit of the President rather than the PM.

Having said that, I think that for Mr Medvedev it is make or break time; he needs to deliver on some of his beliefs and ideals, or risk seeing his entire time in public life as a decorous fig-leaf for some dreadful practices on the part of (far more culpable) others.

Besides, rumours from Russia suggest that his remaining time as PM may not be terribly long, and he may wish to leave some sort of constructive legacy after he leaves office (voluntarily or not). If so, good luck to him. I sincerely hope he succeeds.
Scepticalscribe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:36 AM   #6
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It's a start, but now he needs to get Moscow to stop blocking gay pride events.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:42 AM   #7
avro707
macrumors 6502a

Well done Medvedev.

The time for talk is over, the time for concrete actions is now. Let's see if he has some real strength of conviction, or will this just be a nice little PR exercise and nothing more really happens.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues