Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:31 AM   #1
trvsglr
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Apple TV, Home Sharing?

I picked up an Apple tv about a week ago and i can't get enough of it! When I try to connect my PC through Home Sharing though I'm not sure its working right. I turned Home Sharing on and entered the same Apple ID and password on my PC and Apple tv, but when i go to the computers section on the Apple tv my PC does not show up. They are connected to the same wifi and everything. Any help, thank you!
trvsglr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:18 AM   #2
marc11
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NY USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvsglr View Post
I picked up an Apple tv about a week ago and i can't get enough of it! When I try to connect my PC through Home Sharing though I'm not sure its working right. I turned Home Sharing on and entered the same Apple ID and password on my PC and Apple tv, but when i go to the computers section on the Apple tv my PC does not show up. They are connected to the same wifi and everything. Any help, thank you!
Did you turn on home sharing in iTunes as well as the Apple TV? Is the PC on running iTunes when you try to connect?
__________________
Various Apple Products
marc11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:37 AM   #3
trvsglr
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Did you turn on home sharing in iTunes as well as the Apple TV? Is the PC on running iTunes when you try to connect?
Yes, Home Sharing is activated on both devices and I leave my PC with iTunes up and running on it.
trvsglr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:36 AM   #4
slothrob
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvsglr View Post
I turned Home Sharing on and entered the same Apple ID and password on my PC and Apple tv, but when i go to the computers section on the Apple tv my PC does not show up.
You may have already done this, but I'd double check to be sure that you signed into Home Sharing with the same ID and Password, on both the computer and aTV. Try signing out of Home Sharing on both, then back in on the computer then the aTV.

Last edited by slothrob; Nov 28, 2012 at 06:49 AM.
slothrob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:44 AM   #5
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Home sharing is hit and miss at the moment. Hopefully iTunes 11 will fix the issues.
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:45 AM   #6
bushido
macrumors 603
 
bushido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: España y Germany
after u signed in, try turning off home sharing and turn it back on.
__________________
¡No hables a menos que puedas mejorar el silencio!
Don't judge me by my user name - I was young and stupid xD
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:09 PM   #7
trvsglr
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I appreciate everyone's feed back and i have tried all of the above suggestions. Here is the message i get under the "computers" section of the Apple TV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Apple TV Message.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	380251

I hope i did that right, Does this mean it worked? I'm sorry everyone, I'm just so lost with this!
trvsglr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:02 AM   #8
X5-599
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvsglr View Post
I appreciate everyone's feed back and i have tried all of the above suggestions. Here is the message i get under the "computers" section of the Apple TV.

Attachment 380251

I hope i did that right, Does this mean it worked? I'm sorry everyone, I'm just so lost with this!
I know this is not helping, but are you on Mac or Windows? I ask because when trying to share using Windows (XP) iTunes it doesn't work me. Surprisingly, when using Mac version it does... Both are the latest iTunes versions btw.
I haven't found anything related on the web. I turned off Firewalls, restarted Bonjour and other Apple services but nothing helped. Eventually I gave up and just thought: "Crap Windows version!"
X5-599 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:18 AM   #9
bjm2660
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Virginia
Sometimes connecting as a guest because of convenience limits the network privileges in such a way as to render some of our expensive toys useless.

I had an ongoing problem where I was unable to AirPlay to my apple tv because I had connected it to as a guest on my AirPort Extreme Base Station. I switched it back to the main one and the problem went away. In my case, the guest password was easier to remember, but it comes with some limits.
bjm2660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:48 AM   #10
trvsglr
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5-599 View Post
I know this is not helping, but are you on Mac or Windows? I ask because when trying to share using Windows (XP) iTunes it doesn't work me. Surprisingly, when using Mac version it does... Both are the latest iTunes versions btw.
I haven't found anything related on the web. I turned off Firewalls, restarted Bonjour and other Apple services but nothing helped. Eventually I gave up and just thought: "Crap Windows version!"
PC, Windows 7.
trvsglr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:58 AM   #11
X5-599
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvsglr View Post
PC, Windows 7.
Huh, then I guess: Here's to hoping for iTunes 11. Although it doesn't make sense to me that the option is built in but doesn't work in the Windows version. Also, why can't I find anything on the web regarding this issue...
I'd like to hear from Windows users who have no problem with the ATV and Home Sharing. Surely there have to be some. Windows users, I mean. It seems improbable that 99% of ATV users are on Macs.
X5-599 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:58 AM   #12
JoeBlow74
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Turn off windows firewall. Trust me when I say this. Try a different network cable. I had a cable that had a messed up connector that would flop around when my wife put her candle holder on the wire causing a disconnect. It sounds stupid but try it.
JoeBlow74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:36 AM   #13
trvsglr
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 View Post
Turn off windows firewall. Trust me when I say this. Try a different network cable. I had a cable that had a messed up connector that would flop around when my wife put her candle holder on the wire causing a disconnect. It sounds stupid but try it.
A different cable for my wireless router? Or a different cable for the Apple tv? I am going wireless from my router to the Apple tv. They are in seperate rooms.
trvsglr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:59 AM   #14
frankdogg
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I would check your iTunes setting/prefs to make sure that your entire library is being shared and that it is not password protected. Just helping you check possible loose ends.
frankdogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:09 PM   #15
DaveGee
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvsglr View Post
I picked up an Apple tv about a week ago and i can't get enough of it! When I try to connect my PC through Home Sharing though I'm not sure its working right. I turned Home Sharing on and entered the same Apple ID and password on my PC and Apple tv, but when i go to the computers section on the Apple tv my PC does not show up. They are connected to the same wifi and everything. Any help, thank you!
I realize you stated both devices are on the same wifi but just for kicks what are the IP addresses of both devices... It's a long shot but perhaps a rogue DHCP demon is mucking up the werks...
DaveGee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:16 PM   #16
trvsglr
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Just ealier tonight bewfore i left for work I synced my iPhone and I noticed near the top of iTunes on my PC was an airplay button, does this have anything to do with Home Sharing? It was there for a little and when I clicked on it an option was there for my Apple TV, but then it went away and it has not been back since. I have tried restarting and everyting to try to get it to pop up but nothing. Also my Apple TV was asleep while this happened. I tried turning it on hoping that maybe my PC would detect it but nothing.
trvsglr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:34 AM   #17
tibere86
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Do you have IPv6 active on your network or are using a non-Apple router?
tibere86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:42 AM   #18
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvsglr View Post
Just ealier tonight bewfore i left for work I synced my iPhone and I noticed near the top of iTunes on my PC was an airplay button, does this have anything to do with Home Sharing? It was there for a little and when I clicked on it an option was there for my Apple TV, but then it went away and it has not been back since. I have tried restarting and everyting to try to get it to pop up but nothing. Also my Apple TV was asleep while this happened. I tried turning it on hoping that maybe my PC would detect it but nothing.
That means you can share your desktop with your Apple TV. (your screen will display on your TV via the ATV)
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:46 PM   #19
Legios
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
What router are you using, I recently switched to Fios and use the provided Router which totally broke home sharing unless I changed some settings deep within the router.
Legios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 02:31 PM   #20
shadow puppet
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 4th padded cell on the right
Legios, which FIOS router do you have? I have the Actiontec MI424WR Rev. E, and my ATV3 is working fine with wifi. I haven't changed any settings. Maybe a different one would work for you?
shadow puppet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:55 PM   #21
MFL2012
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibere86 View Post
Do you have IPv6 active on your network or are using a non-Apple router?
This. I had your same problem using Windows 7, but when I turned off IPv6 home sharing has since worked perfectly.
MFL2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:01 PM   #22
davidoloan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
See if you can access your library on your iphone using homesharing.
davidoloan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:18 PM   #23
Legios
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Cant remember off the top of my head but I changed the setting and it automagically worked.
Legios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:06 PM   #24
trvsglr
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Ok, my Home Sharing is now working! I just used it tonight and worked perfect. Not sure what the problem was, tonight for kicks I gave it a shot and everything worked fine. My entire iTunes library was on my tv! Hopefully it stays working!
trvsglr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:44 AM   #25
Layton10
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I have no suggestion about Apple TV home sharing because now I have no any Apple TV but I am so much interested about Apple TV. Also I want to buy it but I have no enough money. So, off course I will buy it after some days.
__________________
CPSC
Layton10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Computers, Apple TV and Home Sharing sgiera Apple TV and Home Theater 3 Apr 2, 2014 08:43 AM
2 Apple TV Simultaneous Home Sharing? Gala Apple TV and Home Theater 5 Jan 4, 2013 07:16 PM
Still No Ethernet Home Sharing With Apple TV Update 5.1.1 boltjames Apple TV and Home Theater 15 Nov 30, 2012 08:13 PM
Apple TV Home Sharing failing OldSchoolMacGuy Apple TV and Home Theater 1 Nov 30, 2012 02:36 AM
Apple TV 3 Home Sharing Help!!? entropyfl Apple TV and Home Theater 3 Aug 28, 2012 04:34 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC