Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swandrix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Just purchased the 2.6 mini with 1 TB fusion and stock ram. I'm interested in maxing out ram to 16 GB as soon as it arrives. Please recommend the best, highest quality, fastest, and most reliable/compatable RAM to purchase to install. If there's a good and trustworthy website to recommend for purchase as well I'd appreciate it.

Same questions for a 256 solid state hard drive for installation later as well.

Appreciate it! I was bummed with the new iMacs as well so trying a mini for the first time. Just looking to Mac it out without getting reamed by apple for these couple of upgrades.

Thanks!

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Just purchased the 2.6 mini with 1 TB fusion and stock ram. I'm interested in maxing out ram to 16 GB as soon as it arrives. Please recommend the best, highest quality, fastest, and most reliable/compatable RAM to purchase to install. If there's a good and trustworthy website to recommend for purchase as well I'd appreciate it.

Appreciate it! I was bummed with the new iMacs as well so trying a mini for the first time. Just looking to Mac it out without getting reamed by apple for these couple of upgrades.

Thanks!

CRUCIAL RAM is pretty much the gold standard

here is an amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-1...F8&qid=1354597561&sr=1-3&keywords=crucial+ram

amazon has a very good return policy. with holidays policy you have until the 31st of jan to return it... just tell them it does not work and they will pay the return shipping no questions asked.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Ordered from Crucial-Mistake

I ordered 16GB direct from Crucial. Shipping is taking forever. Probably will end up 2-3 weeks. I've used Crucial before and it is always good. Use the Amazon in stock link.

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I ordered 16GB direct from Crucial. Shipping is taking forever. Probably will end up 2-3 weeks. I've used Crucial before and it is always good. Use the Amazon in stock link.

This. Amazon are quick to ship.

Make sure its the Crucial RAM - there is Komputerbay RAM on Amazon slightly cheaper but it has some negative reviews, which put me off. I've upgraded most Macs I've owned with Crucial RAM and its all been good stuff.

Enjoy your Mini.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
If you want the best go with the Corsair Vengeance ram, it's got 99% positive reviews and I can vouch for it's performance.

I've had issues with Crucial ram before, which is unfortunate as their customer service is great.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
for solid state a samsung 830 model only because the samsung 840 is a new design. It is becoming a bit harder to find the 830 models.

here is an 840

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elect...sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+solid+state+drive+830

it is not that I dislike the 840 it is new so if it has a problem in the new design nobody knows yet.

the above price is good and if you buy it amazon will take it back up to the 31st of jan 2013 just say it does not work no questions asked.

swandrix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Thanks for all of the responses! Is the Corsair Vengeance significantly better than crucial? seems to be about twice as expensive....

As for the solid state hard drive, what's the maximum size that the 2012 mini can take for the second hard drive?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
the corsair vengeance has had people on this site say it was bad. not to argue or disagree with the poster that likes it.

I have had bad corsair ssds the service for rma was good. I have used corsair ram it was also good. I have installed hundreds of sticks of ram.

My 8 2012 minis have crucial and have kingston ram. But if I saw a good price on corsair I would not be afraid of it.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
The Corsair ram I've got nothing but love for, I have however had two bad SSD's from them and would not recommend em, the Crucial SSD's on the other hand work a treat and are quite a bit cheaper then the competition, should balance out the ram price diff ;)

As for the size, your wallet is the limit, they make 900GB SSD's now but those cost big $$$ :eek:
I bought a 512GB SSD from Crucial for £320.

jksu

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009

Thanks!

bought the same macmini for my wife. just installed g.skill 8x2 from newegg ($50). took 2 min - love the easy access!

we have an external usb 2tb for movies and 1tb USB time machine for backup for the internal 1.12 fusion.

saha-med

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
I see the corsair vengence is a 240pin ram... how is this supported as ive heard only 204pin ram is supported

ZenMoto

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
I see the corsair vengence is a 240pin ram... how is this supported as ive heard only 204pin ram is supported

Maybe you're looking at the Desktop version? Not sure, but I got the Laptop Vengeance RAM and all the pins were a perfect match. Here, let me get the box...

CORSAIR DDR3 16GB
VENGEANCE

Improve your notebook PC's performance with Vengeance high-speed SODIMM memory. No configuration is required to take advantage of the higher speed - just plug it in and go.

Améliorez la performance de votre portable PC avec la mémoire SODIMM haute vitesse Vengeance. Aucune configuration n'est requise pour profiter de cette plus grande vitesse. Installez la et démarrez, tout simplement.

1600MHz
2 x 8GB

Then it has two pictures of the "Intel inside" chip icons with "CORE i5" on one and "CORE i7" on the other.

CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10

I copied that UPC and googled it, and all sorts of links popped up and should answer your questions, or direct you to a good deal. Regards.

Last edited:

swandrix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Thanks for all of the responses. RAM should arrive today and mini on wednesday. I just went with the crucial since it seemed to be the general favorite...we'll see if I end up wishing i went conair!

Now to figure out what monitor to buy. Sounds like the Dell 2440m is everyone's favorite to balance quality with price. Is there any advantage to one hook up (DVI, VGA, etc.) over the other?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.