Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I'm downloading and playing around with trial versions of a number of notebook programs out there, and now it's Devonthink's turn. I've downloaded the trial version and personally, I find this to be the best fit for my workflow and my future study flow as well. As I use this, though, there are some things I wonder, and I hope active users can give their insight.

1. According to Devon Technologies, they currently have a Mac-to-Mac sync process in public beta. Is anyone using that? Is anyone also using Dropbox to sync their databases by any chance? How good are either options?

2. Is the iPad version worth it? I would like to be able to check out the stuff I put together in the OS X version and read it on the go.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm downloading and playing around with trial versions of a number of notebook programs out there, and now it's Devonthink's turn. I've downloaded the trial version and personally, I find this to be the best fit for my workflow and my future study flow as well. As I use this, though, there are some things I wonder, and I hope active users can give their insight.

1. According to Devon Technologies, they currently have a Mac-to-Mac sync process in public beta. Is anyone using that? Is anyone also using Dropbox to sync their databases by any chance? How good are either options?

2. Is the iPad version worth it? I would like to be able to check out the stuff I put together in the OS X version and read it on the go.

I use Devon Think as my personal "paperless database". I have used it to sync certain folders to my iPhone/iPad... but I just haven't found much need for it.

What I love about DT is the artificial intelligence built into the program. I am amazed at how easy it is to find anything that I've ever put in there. I also like how it "knows" where to file things automatically. The more you use it... the smarter it gets.

/Jim

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I use Devon Think as my personal "paperless database". I have used it to sync certain folders to my iPhone/iPad... but I just haven't found much need for it.

Does that mean that if you manually add stuff into the database (by dragging and dropping), you can get rid of the original file?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Does that mean that if you manually add stuff into the database (by dragging and dropping), you can get rid of the original file?

I have DevonThink set to automatically delete original files. So for example... if I scan paper into DT... the scan does not remain in the scan folder on my computer... just the version that goes into DT. From there... it is OCR'd, filed and indexed by DT.

I can also directly insert web pages, emails etc into DT.

/Jim

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I can't speak to the mac to mac sync as I haven't tried it out, but for the iPad version, I'm not sure it's really worth it at this point. It really depends a bit on your usage, but basically, there is just one single folder that you transfer stuff into if you want to move it over to your iPad. It doesn't offer a real time sync with all of your DevonThink folders on your mac. I hardly ever use it, and I just generally treat stuff I put into DT as something I won't be able to access on my iPad. But then, with my current DT workflow I don't need the stuff I have there to be available on my iPad, so I haven't worked very hard to see if I can find better workarounds.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I can't speak to the mac to mac sync as I haven't tried it out, but for the iPad version, I'm not sure it's really worth it at this point. It really depends a bit on your usage, but basically, there is just one single folder that you transfer stuff into if you want to move it over to your iPad. It doesn't offer a real time sync with all of your DevonThink folders on your mac. I hardly ever use it, and I just generally treat stuff I put into DT as something I won't be able to access on my iPad. But then, with my current DT workflow I don't need the stuff I have there to be available on my iPad, so I haven't worked very hard to see if I can find better workarounds.

Nice to see you here as well :p though despite your insight into CPN earlier in another forum, I have to say that this fits my style better :(

But yeah, your comment sounds very familiar...

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Nice to see you here as well :p though despite your insight into CPN earlier in another forum, I have to say that this fits my style better :(

But yeah, your comment sounds very familiar...

I'm stalking you :p

No seriously, I think DT is a great tool, and I've seen a lot of people using it in conjunction with Scrivener in very interesting ways. It's a great and very powerful app. It's just not really set up for the iPad yet, which is why I won't put my day to day work in there. I use it mainly as a personal database (receipts, official docs and so on), and as a repository for resources that I want to use in a future book project but don't need to access on a daily basis.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Things I notice about syncing

So here are a couple of heads-up bits for those considering DevonThink Pro regarding sync.

Mac to Mac: You can set it so the databases created by DT are synced by Dropbox. There's a public beta version of some sort of in-house sync, but I haven't used that. Dropbox seems to work well, for me at least. Then again, I've only gotten started with the program.

Mac to iOS: Ugh. As Jojoba says, the app isn't ready for prime time and is best left for databases that don't require frequent syncing. I dare say, Omnifocus's sync method spoiled me. I've earned at least (IMO) half the app's price's worth by turning my iPad into a database for my personal details for easy access.

Syncing involves bringing the iWhatever within the same wi-fi network as the Mac running DT is, and then manually starting it. There doesn't seem to be a way to automate it (unless AppleScript is used, though that is merely an assumption on my part).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.