Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blvck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Music > Artist > Albums > Ablum 1 > songs (mp3s)

any advice would be helpful im still switching over to make and would like to make my iPod, mac and music sync well without getting things scattered all over the place.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Music > Artist > Albums > Ablum 1 > songs (mp3s)

any advice would be helpful im still switching over to make and would like to make my iPod, mac and music sync well without getting things scattered all over the place.
You can organize your music files yourself, or you can let iTunes manage them. I have mine organized by Genre/Artist/Album/Song.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
iTunes sorts the maiin library and let's you sort by genre, artist, album, song...etc.. Then I tell iTunes which genres and playlists to put on my iPhone and iPad.

blvck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
You can organize your music files yourself, or you can let iTunes manage them. I have mine organized by Genre/Artist/Album/Song.
I'm worried that itunes would screw it up, then i'll have to spend hours fixing it :(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm worried that itunes would screw it up, then i'll have to spend hours fixing it :(
iTunes won't screw it up. It just may not organize using the same method you might use, but it keeps track of everything.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I'm worried that itunes would screw it up, then i'll have to spend hours fixing it

Tell iTunes to import (which is copy...not move) the existing music files and see if you like it. If yes, you can remove the old file structure. If no, ignore iTunes and you still have your original file structure.

Glenn.eu

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
When i switched to mac i stopped caring about ordering my songs/albums in folders, i let iTunes manage it since i also got iTunes Match where all my songs are backed up in the cloud.
Man i love not having to worry about where i put a song/album, i just import it and delete the file because it is stored in iTunes.:apple:

I have the same feeling that you have for music that i got for my pictures (in iPhoto library). My pictures ate still nicely stored in folders as a backup :D

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I let iTunes do it for me.

I also use Spotify a lot and used to keep that list alphabetically by artist, but the collection is now so big that this is difficult. I have no idea why they can't introduce a sort by... feature. It's very annoying,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.