Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Actually my 4S works that way, when i'm at home or at work 3G seems to be off.

The iPhone will stop using the cellular network to send and receive data if it is connected to a Wi-Fi network.

The exception to that is MMS and Visual Voicemail (where supported), which will continue to run over the cellular network.

3G is however not disabled (for the reasons I mentioned earlier).

Last edited:

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
[those] have the toggle on iPhone 3GS iPhone 4 we know you have it... stop asking why we don't have it!

The iPhone 4S doesn't have that toggle !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

aneagle

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
No need for 3G button after jailbreak

Just JB my 4s iOS 5.0.1(9A406) and the 3G toggle on SBSettings does turn 3G off making the 4s to stick to 2G network.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
OP: If you want the 3G toggle for the 4s, why not just wait for iOS 5.1 to be released? Apple has added the toggle back in this version for 4s users.

Or just jailbreak now with the untether option, sbsettings has the 3g toggle in it. I am using it on mine right now.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
Or just jailbreak now with the untether option, sbsettings has the 3g toggle in it. I am using it on mine right now.

Yup yup...no need for iOS 5.1 now. I'm probably going to turn 3G off all day tomorrow, to see what it does for battery life.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
I however have a 3G button on my 5.0.1 4s under sbsetting.... It rock's

Last edited by a moderator:

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
So I've had 3G off for good now with the jailbreak. Because it doesn't switch constantly between 2G and 3G I've noticed improved battery life!

Oh man, jailbreaking is the ****! And ColorProfiles, oh yeah.

aneagle

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
It's safe to update to 5.1

It's been confirmed: ENABLE 3G button is back on iOS 5.1

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Not on AT&T, but my friends on O2 (UK) and 3 (Hong Kong) have enable 3G back on.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    173.7 KB · Views: 32

yea, sure

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
More info from various sources indicates the 3G button doesn't show if:
- the carrier is CDMA
- GSM 3G only

GSM is not a carrier. by carrier he means service provider. ie, sprint, verizon, at&t. i saw you on another forum saying this toggle is back. it's not back, it's available for whatever carrier you are on. it's not available for at&t. at least i haven't read anything about it.

as far as getting a 3g toggle in sbsettings, that's also not true. on the default theme it shows an E for data. if you choose the "serious" theme, the data button will say "data". BOTH however are tied to the functionality of the cellular data button in the iphone's general settings.

you don't revert to 2g. you just turn cellular data off.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
sorry to revive an old thread

hi guys, sorry to revive an old thread, but here is my scenario..

Jailbroken for about 7 months now on 4s....ATT.

I used both SBSettings and iFile to bring back the ability to restrict 3G and stay on edge.

However, here is what I am noticing...in the middle of the night, or some unforseen time, I'll notice the phone itself or maybe ATT is kicking it off Edge....They really dont want you to use Edge.

I wake up and and use my phone, just to see that the ig 3G symbol on the status bar, even though I know i Physically turned it off the night before via SBSettings or the actual toggle brought back by iFile.

Anyone else experiencing this? Its annoying...just let me use Edge on standby....I'll use 3G when I WANT to...when surfing or whatever....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.