Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:42 AM   #1
jason.siegel
macrumors 6502

App to Show Me Difference in Disk Usage From a Week Ago?

Is there some app that can show me, based on my Time Machine backups or something, how my disk space is being used in comparison to a week ago? A week ago, I was using 150 gigs or so. Today, I'm using about 90. I have no idea where those 60 gigs of files disappeared to. Although I did install iTunes 11, which moved some things to the cloud, it wasn't 60 gigs worth.

Thanks.
jason.siegel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:43 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating my space
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:45 AM   #3
jason.siegel
macrumors 6502

Thanks. That info seems to be about freeing up space; I almost have the opposite problem. Do you mean to imply that perhaps my Time Machine local snapshots, e.g., have cleaned themselves up?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:48 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.siegel View Post
Thanks. That info seems to be about freeing up space; I almost have the opposite problem. Do you mean to imply that perhaps my Time Machine local snapshots, e.g., have cleaned themselves up?
It's not just about freeing up space, but about accounting for how space is being used. There are many factors that can account for increases or decreases in drive space being used, such as TM backup files, swap files that disappear on restart, trash being emptied, reindexing, etc.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:48 AM   #5
jason.siegel
macrumors 6502

Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store