Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eluxman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
Need advice Im thinking about get 2 iphone 5s @ Best Buy they offer a $25.00 gift card for each phone is it better to order from Verizon or else where, or is this a good deal ?
I always went right to Verizon store in the past but $50 bucks in gift cards seem to be a good deal
Also will I be charged a activation fee on both of these phones ?
Im a Verizon customer already replacing a iphone 4 & a dumb phone & going to a share everthing plan?
Thanks

Last edited:

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Need advice Im thinking about get 2 iphone 5s @ Best Buy they offer a $25.00 gift card for each phone is it better to order from Verizon or else where or is the a good deal ?
I always went right to Verizon store in the past but $50 bucks in gift cards seem to be a good deal
Also will I be charged a activation fee on both of these phones ?
Im a Verizon customer already replacing a iphone 4 & a dumb phone & going to a share everthing plan?
Thanks

If bestbuy has the better deal, then just buy it from them. If you are already a Verizon customer they will be able sort everything out in no time at all. Additionally, you will have to pay the upgrade fee just like any upgrade.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Just go for it, it's great deal and I wish I waited now a few weeks. it doesn't matter where you get your iPhone as long as they are an authorized retailer.
The Best Buy I got mine from were very nice, but I wish they knew more about the iPhone. They wanted me to transfer my contacts from my old iPhone to the 5, I told them I have iCloud set up and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. No big deal though.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Normally, I wouldn't recommend BB for anything. However, this is a good deal since it's the same exact product you'd get from Verizon or Apple. Plus, never hurts to save some $$.

The upgrade and/or activation fee is just outright BS. I'm surprised it still exists!! :mad:

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
The upgrade and/or activation fee is just outright BS. I'm surprised it still exists!! :mad:
That fee is outright a joke! I did get mine waved because I told them that I wasn't paying almost $200 upgrading 5 phones, and they said since I was upgrading 5 phones it wouldn't be an issue. I can't believe they charge to activate a phone you already paid for just to put it in the system.

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
shocking Best Buy report. It was pleasant...

Went to buy an iPhone for my daughter, and I was surprised by the experience. My previous iPhone purchase was at a Radio Shack, and it was horrible. It was like being trapped with a used car salesman (no offense). At every turn I was pressured for upgrades... Radio Shack protection packages, screen cover, cases, car charger, etc. etc. etc. It wasn't just the endless questioning, it was the manner, and then the rude disparaging grunts of disapproval and warnings of dire things that can happen without "x".

I saw the BB $25 gift card offer, and so we headed there. We had an intelligent, well-Apple-versed sales rep, that shocked me. It wasn't just me either, the previous person in line had remarked how painless his experience was too. I asked about the gift card, she said the offer was valid.

I asked about the activation fee and she said she thought Verizon charged that on the next bill. I pulled out a print-out from the BB website (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mobile/...ss/pcmcat209600050008.c?id=pcmcat209600050008), that says that BB will pick up the charges (which ranges from $25-35).

She thought the Share Everything plan would be actually $10 cheaper, or the same each month, but worked it out both ways. The old plan actually worked out to be a better deal and offered us a total of 6GB of data between 3 phones as opposed to 4gb, and was $10 cheaper.

I had backed up the old phone's contact list using the Verizon Backup asst, but had read it wouldn't work for a iPhone. She said there was an iPhone app which would pull the data (free), and then installed the app and updated the contact list.

She did a number of other things too, turned off the Stock Quote app updates, set up email, etc. I have had assistance with some of these these things for our other phones, but this was painless. Frankly, the Verizon store help had little clue how to work with the iPhones (or just made more money pushing other devices). So... when our next update comes up in 6 months, I would definitely go back again.

PS: on the activation fee, I know that V changed their policy, and started charging the bogus fees on "new every two's" in Oct 2011, Best Buy apparently is eating the charge. Guess I will find out for sure when the next bill comes...

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
Picked up 2 iPhone 5s today and it was totally painless. The people at the BB Mobile knew exactly what they were doing. Upgraded with no issues. They had the phones in stock, they just got a huge amount in recently.

Synching up all my apps now. Couldn't be happier.

ferganer

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
You have to consider one important thing. If you get a phone from Best Buy, there is additional ETF ($250) if you have to cancel your service within the first 181 days. That's on top of the carrier ETF.

So you decide if the $25 is worth the additional ETF.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
You have to consider one important thing. If you get a phone from Best Buy, there is additional ETF ($250) if you have to cancel your service within the first 181 days. That's on top of the carrier ETF.

I have never heard of such a thing. Why would BBY charge an additional ETF? They made their money off the initial sale and contract, but canceling your service is all on the carrier.

Are you referring to Internet third-party resellers such as Wirefly and Lets talk?

MxChino

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008

False.

ferganer

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012

I stand corrected. Just talked to a Best Buy CS rep and he said there is no additional ETF. However, when I bought my Android phone there, the sales guy said that there is an additional $250 ETF just like the one Wirefly, Amazon, Walmart, etc. have.

I am sorry for the misinformation. I should have known better to double check what the sales rep told me.

CrosshairDF2

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
The OP should also receive $5.00 in rewards plus 150 points towards the next reward, if the OP is a Best Buy Rewards Zone member and buying two iPhones for $399.98.

$10.00 in rewards, if the OP is already a Premier Silver Rewards Zone member.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I would go with best buy to get the gift cards. Also if you call verizon you might be able to get the upgrade fees waived.

tmgarvey

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
South Jersey
I've never had a bad experience buying anything at Best Buy. Their mobile reps are awesome, extremely helpful, and any time I have had any kind of customer service issue they have been great to deal with. When they don't know the answer, they will ask until they find out for you.

CrosshairDF2

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Best Buy is discounting all its iPhone 5 models by $50 when you sign up for a two year contract.

That makes the 16GB model $149.99, the 32GB model $249.99, and the 64GB model $349.99.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mobile-...ns/pcmcat209400050001.c?id=pcmcat209400050001

Even better get another $100 in a Reward Zone bonus certificate, so that makes the 16GB model $49.99, the 32GB model $149.99, and the 64GB model $249.99.

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/offers/offersandpromotions/info/0900a76f800c95b0

Get 4500 bonus points, plus 500 everyday points, when you purchase any smartphone with a 24-month plan. That's a total of 5000 bonus points.

Offer expires: 12/18/2012

Offer available only at RewardZoneMobile.com

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Even better get another $100 in a Reward Zone bonus certificate, so that makes the 16GB model $49.99, the 32GB model $149.99, and the 64GB model $249.99.

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/offers/offersandpromotions/info/0900a76f800c95b0

Get 4500 bonus points, plus 500 everyday points, when you purchase any smartphone with a 24-month plan. That's a total of 5000 bonus points.

That's a sweet deal.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Use those points as soon as you get them as nobody knows how long BestBuy will be around after the holiday season. (remember CircuitCity)

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007

I'm curious to know if the 25% bonus for Reward Zone Premier Silver members applies to the whole 5,000 points. That's an extra $25 if it does.
https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/silver/benefits

Lumpy05

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Bloomington, IN
I'm curious to know if the 25% bonus for Reward Zone Premier Silver members applies to the whole 5,000 points. That's an extra $25 if it does.
https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/silver/benefits

It does not, I bought two phones and the 4,500 bonus points show as a "Shipped" $0.00 item the bonus points would apply to the purchase price paid. I also dont think I will get the $25 Gift Card offer because that offer states best buy or bestbuy.com. The order for the 4,500 is at rewardzonemobile.com.

Also just FYI the Apple accessories like the Lightning USB and the Lighting 30pin adapater are 15% off.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I tried today to get the $50 off at my Apple Store of choice.... failed in the $50 off... :( Even for a iTunes gift card.... :(

But in the end it was not worth my time or effort to cancel the order to get the $50 off and drive over to my local Best Buy. I dislike Best Buy that much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.