Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yly3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
So I've been one of those guys who have been crying for THE google maps app ever since the fiasco.
Only today I have found about the app caled Localscope. In the description it says it was a big hit in 2011 so it's not new but holly freckin cow !
I basically have Google Maps on my iPhone again !
I was mostly using G Maps on 5.1.1 for POI and streets, no guided navigation required.

Besides the fantastic coverage of the entire social-media-POI coverage you have the option to search via the Google Maps data base with the "Skin" of Apple Maps and after that you can even voice-guide with the Native Apple Maps

This is the closest I can get (for my usage) to having gMaps.
Sure, you basically have to tap an extra time but hell it sure is worth it.
80% it's already there !
Am I missing something ?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I think it stems from the human need to be able to hold something they've bought in their hands, or for it to feel tangible or has an existence outside of a microchip. Because once you decide to not use the device anymore, you also can't use the app anymore, and there's no way to get any kind of return on unused apps. You can't have a garage sale on apps you no longer use.

Coffee supplies the body with a form of sustenance. An app does not. There are certain apps that I'm willing to pay good money for, that actually contribute greatly to my daily routine.

fljoemon

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
Thanks!

Incredibly useful app that I did not know about. Thanks for posting this!

yly3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
I think this kind of app easily justifies 10$

And I am very picky when buying apps.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
It's interesting that this seems like a lot for an app when a lot of people pay more than this for their daily coffee. I wonder if we'll ever get over this perception.

More impressive is the fact they spent a ridiculous amount of money on a phone to begin with.

People want the luxury of a 600+ dollar phone but won't spend 0.3% more for a necessary app.

Ridiculous.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I think it stems from the human need to be able to hold something they've bought in their hands, or for it to feel tangible or has an existence outside of a microchip. Because once you decide to not use the device anymore, you also can't use the app anymore, and there's no way to get any kind of return on unused apps. You can't have a garage sale on apps you no longer use.

Coffee supplies the body with a form of sustenance. An app does not. There are certain apps that I'm willing to pay good money for, that actually contribute greatly to my daily routine.

Yes, but coffee is not a necessity. Whatever benefit it provides, whether you drink it for taste or keep you up, is intangible. You won't have a further return on coffee.

Just like if you pay $2 for a game app and spend 5 hours playing it, the fun that you had playing that game during that time is the intangible benefit of buying the app. Except it doesn't disappear, and can be used for a week where as coffee is something you'd buy everyday ;)

I do agree that people value something more if they can touch it though.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Yes, but coffee is not a necessity. Whatever benefit it provides, whether you drink it for taste or keep you up, is intangible. You won't have a further return on coffee.

Just like if you pay $2 for a game app and spend 5 hours playing it, the fun that you had playing that game during that time is the intangible benefit of buying the app. Except it doesn't disappear, and can be used for a week where as coffee is something you'd buy everyday ;)

I do agree that people value something more if they can touch it though.

Agreed on the coffee, because I personally don't like coffee. :p

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I use Maps+ from the App Store, quite handy and performs the same function as the original Google Maps app. No transit directions I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.