Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:44 AM   #1
celo48
macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5 third party USB cable. Any good?

I have been looking to buy one but some say they are too tight, somewhat tight or not reversible although it is supposed to, some say reversible. Yes, I can spend the $20 and get the original one but I can get 4 of them if bought 3rd party cables. Yes, I spent a lot of money on the iPhone but am willing to take the risk. Could someone share their opinions on the cable they bought and which store/Ebay seller/online site? Thanks!
celo48 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:31 AM   #2
adm.hpe
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celo48 View Post
I have been looking to buy one but some say they are too tight, somewhat tight or not reversible although it is supposed to, some say reversible. Yes, I can spend the $20 and get the original one but I can get 4 of them if bought 3rd party cables. Yes, I spent a lot of money on the iPhone but am willing to take the risk. Could someone share their opinions on the cable they bought and which store/Ebay seller/online site? Thanks!
Be very careful with iPhone5 third party cables. Apple have chipped the 5 cable and most (from Amazon or eBay) simply work intermittently or don't work at all.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:36 AM   #3
VeridisQuo
macrumors newbie

I ordered 1 off amazon, and 2 off ebay, all around $5 shipped a piece and all seem to work perfectly fine in both positions. One of the ebay ones was a little tight. Personally, I wouldn't use any third party cables for charging overnight or anytime you won't be able to keep an eye on it, but thats just me. I use my original cable for charging while I'm asleep, and the other 3 for syncing, car and work where I'll be there with the phone while connected. I say go for it, if anything, buy 1 and test it out, if it works well, buy a few more from the same vendor.

Amazon one I ordered, ships out of china though, so kind of a long wait

eBay one I ordered, seem to be sold out though

Last edited by VeridisQuo; Dec 9, 2012 at 07:41 AM.
VeridisQuo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:50 AM   #4
celo48
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeridisQuo View Post
I ordered 1 off amazon, and 2 off ebay, all around $5 shipped a piece and all seem to work perfectly fine in both positions. One of the ebay ones was a little tight. Personally, I wouldn't use any third party cables for charging overnight or anytime you won't be able to keep an eye on it, but thats just me. I use my original cable for charging while I'm asleep, and the other 3 for syncing, car and work where I'll be there with the phone while connected. I say go for it, if anything, buy 1 and test it out, if it works well, buy a few more from the same vendor.

Amazon one I ordered, ships out of china though, so kind of a long wait

eBay one I ordered, seem to be sold out though
Thanks! Which vendor/store did you buy it from on Amazon?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:25 AM   #5
bandityo
macrumors member

Ive gotten 5 aftermarket...two from boxwave, three from generic all works both ways for power and data..The only gripe is they dont have the same exact fit as OEM but work fine...dont listen to the hype....
bandityo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:51 AM   #6
adm.hpe
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandityo View Post
Ive gotten 5 aftermarket...two from boxwave, three from generic all works both ways for power and data..The only gripe is they dont have the same exact fit as OEM but work fine...dont listen to the hype....
Do they charge as quick?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:01 AM   #7
wratran
macrumors regular

i bought 4 of them from ebay for $7 each.
work perfectly....dont listen to the bozo that never bought one...
Those iphone boy like anything that is APPLE and pay the apple tax
wratran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:07 AM   #8
celo48
macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys! Hopefully, more people put where they bought it so, people who are interested to buy one like me also knows. I bought four USB cables for my iPhone 4 and they all worked fine except one that went bad but I paid a dollar so who cares The new 8-pin cables are little more complicated, that's why I wanted to ask.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:58 PM   #9
fljoemon
macrumors newbie

I bought it here!

I purchased for $4.94 + free shipping from an USA seller.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Pin-Lightn...-/261118395956
fljoemon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:18 PM   #10
celo48
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljoemon View Post
I purchased for $4.94 + free shipping from an USA seller.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Pin-Lightn...-/261118395956
I took the plunge with your seller! All the feedback they received regarding the cable are good. I like the way they explain what they are selling in details and their feedback is pretty good. Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:39 PM   #11
VeridisQuo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by celo48 View Post
Thanks! Which vendor/store did you buy it from on Amazon?
The seller was Goingpower on amazon
VeridisQuo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:15 AM   #12
kalexn
macrumors 6502

So Tanga has a color cable out today: https://www.tanga.com/deals/c628136f...ing-sync-cable

I am still nervous about ordering a third party cable because of all that was said before. What do y'all think?
kalexn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:26 PM   #13
thehilife
macrumors newbie

Bought a set of a car charger, charging cube, and three cables for $20 shipped off eBay from a US seller named "drgaddis". I would NOT recommend purchasing from him. Two of the three cables I have work sometimes and sometimes they don't. They are also not reversible like the real Apple chargers and don't charge as quickly as the real chargers. I'm in the process of getting replacement cables from him, that probably won't even work. They worked fine the first few times, but now sometimes when I plug them in they stop charging after a while. Once, I plugged in the USB cable to my computer and my computer just shut off immediately. Other times, nothing happens at all when I attempt to charge (literally, nothing--no charge, no alert errors). Other times, it will say "Charging is not supported by this accessory." Once, I got the messages on my computer that said a USB adapter was drawing too much power from my computer and to disconnect the cable. As I write this, I am at work. I was able to charge my phone from 56% to 70%, but suddenly it just stopped charging. -_-

SKETCHY. I now no longer connect the generic cables to my Macbook Pro. Honestly, with all the hassle, I wish I had just spent that $20 on another real Apple cable. I float around between 3 residences (dorm, parent's house, boyfriend's house) and also like to have additional cables for my car, work, etc. It was nice to find such an amazing deal on eBay, but remember: YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET.
thehilife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:43 AM   #14
celo48
macrumors 6502a

I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/261118395956...956%26_rdc%3D1 and very happy with it.

It fits like the original. I can insert either way. Charges with no problems. Few cosmetic differences vs. the original, that's all. I paid $4.94 but it went up to $11.39 and I don't know if the seller still has them in stock or not. I wish I purchased more from him but did not want to risk by buying more than one.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:52 PM   #15
zorinlynx
macrumors 68030

Careful, there have been reports of third party lightning plugs breaking off inside the socket. This is obviously very bad, and it is unlikely that you will be able to remove it.

The repair probably won't be covered under warranty either.

Just stick with Apple or licensed cables. The risk is not worth the tiny amount of money you save.
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:15 PM   #16
comptr
macrumors 6502

well monoprice does make cables now that are apple certified: http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...ighting+cables
comptr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:34 PM   #17
wxman2003
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptr View Post
well monoprice does make cables now that are apple certified: http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...ighting+cables
Thanks. I will wait for their 6 foot cable which is only $0.75 more.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:38 AM   #18
Sparky9292
macrumors 6502a

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
Thanks. I will wait for their 6 foot cable which is only $0.75 more.
The 6' is sold out till March 21... you'll have to wait 5 weeks! The 3' one's are still for sale.

That said, I've just ordered 2 of the 3" ones.... thanks! saved me 50% instead of buying the "official" apple ones!.

Last edited by Sparky9292; Feb 11, 2013 at 01:44 AM.
Sparky9292 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories