Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:54 PM   #51
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
I will be shocked if a "brand new" car dont have tiny marks you just dont notice because of the size.
Exactly, cars sit out in the weather for months at a time sometimes. If they come off the lot in pristine condition I would be very surprised. Stop using this analogy.

Scratches on a device are one thing. These little tiny minuscule imperfections are not something to get your knickers in a bunch and return 6 times for.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:56 PM   #52
Shadowbech
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
Orange County Drums and Percussion?
OCPD = Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:56 PM   #53
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68030

Just give up.
AdonisSMU is offline   3
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:58 PM   #54
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

I went through 3 iPad minis.

Dust underneath screen, Wi-Fi stopped working and light bleed with yellow blotches on screen that got worse with use.

Apple needs to pay Foxconn more money to ensure better quality and more attention to detail. I understand that faulty products occasionally slip through the cracks, as stated by an Apple Senior Advisor, but having to go through 3 exchanges is ludicrous. It's a pain to have to go to the store and go through that process of getting it looked at and exchanged. It's tiresome.

iPad mini Wi-Fi 64GB White iPhone 4 16GB White iPod Nano 8GB Silver
EMAN19 is offline   1
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:58 PM   #55
zhenya
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
so ur saying if u buy a car with a scratch on the side, its not considered a defect?
As I said earlier, even very expensive cars have far from perfect paint jobs. This is not the equivalent of a scratch, but the equivalent of paint irregularities (say waviness or orange-peel) which every new car has. This also only illustrates the issues with one of your 6 iPads. If this was your first one, and your response was a more reasonable 'I can't really see this unless I hold it just right or take this high resolution macro image, is this normal?' then I might have some more sympathy. Again , if you aren't happy, go try a Nexus 7. I think you'll be in for a big surprise.
zhenya is offline   2
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:59 PM   #56
Haifisch
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
I will be shocked if a "brand new" car dont have tiny marks you just dont notice because of the size.
I can imagine these nitpickers going thru every car in the dealer lot to find one that is blemish-free. And when they don't find this unicorn, they will try to convince the dealer to order them one, and expect the dealer to eat the freight cost for that. Yeah....good luck with that.
Haifisch is offline   4
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:16 PM   #57
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya View Post
As I said earlier, even very expensive cars have far from perfect paint jobs. This is not the equivalent of a scratch, but the equivalent of paint irregularities (say waviness or orange-peel) which every new car has. This also only illustrates the issues with one of your 6 iPads. If this was your first one, and your response was a more reasonable 'I can't really see this unless I hold it just right or take this high resolution macro image, is this normal?' then I might have some more sympathy. Again , if you aren't happy, go try a Nexus 7. I think you'll be in for a big surprise.
You are being obtuse. The photo from the OP shows that the paint on the iPad is scratched all the way to the shinny metal. This is not a "minor" imperfection. You look at that area every time you use an iPad. It is eye catching.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   2
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:19 PM   #58
wrkactjob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR1 View Post
I think Apple sells a black Sharpie for $29.99.
I have bought 5 of these so far and have had trouble with every one out of the wrapper.....

Should I buy another people?

~puts finger to mouth~
wrkactjob is offline   7
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:29 PM   #59
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
You are being obtuse. The photo from the OP shows that the paint on the iPad is scratched all the way to the shinny metal. This is not a "minor" imperfection. You look at that area every time you use an iPad. It is eye catching.
I'm sorry, my eyes must be distracted by the screen to be looking at the bezel when I'm using it.

Trust me, you won't see it normal use. If there is any light source in the room, reflections on the bezel will wash it out. If you're in a dark room, you won't see it anyway, plus the screen will once again make everything around it harder to see.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:33 PM   #60
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
I'm sorry, my eyes must be distracted by the screen to be looking at the bezel when I'm using it.

Trust me, you won't see it normal use. If there is any light source in the room, reflections on the bezel will wash it out. If you're in a dark room, you won't see it anyway, plus the screen will once again make everything around it harder to see.
By your way of thinking, the OP could have got the whole back of the iPad scratched up and you would still say it is fine because no one looks at the back of their iPad when they use it and you can't see it in the dark anyways.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   2
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:48 PM   #61
zhenya
macrumors 68030

Quote:
By your way of thinking, the OP could have got the whole back of the iPad scratched up and you would still say it is fine because no one looks at the back of their iPad when they use it and you can't see it in the dark anyways.
The photo he used is a close up macro shot where the focal point is on the scratches. During normal handling those marks would not be visible except when held up close and looking for them. There are swirl marks on a new car too if you look for them. And like a new car, it's going to develop more of these marks over time and use. Focusing on the fact that it has them isn't productive because unless you bought this ipad to keep in the original box for posterity, it's only going to garner more as you use it.

Sure, my ideal is also that we have a beautiful device that is completely bulletproof. The reality is that probably requires synthetic materials -ie plastic. Most natural materials - wood, stone, glass, steel, aluminum, etc also have properties that mean they show wear with use. Would you rather have a flawless plastic device?
zhenya is offline   2
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:49 PM   #62
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
No, a car with a scratch on the side would be a defect, and I would consider an iPad with a scratch to have a defect, but you don't have a scratch, you have some tiny imperfections in the anodised surface.
I guess it depends on your definition of scratch. I think the OP defines his "imperfection" as a scratch and/or defect. I agree for the extra money being charged.
SeanR1 is offline   1
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:52 PM   #63
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
NO!! That is not what I'm saying at all!

Here let me break it down to you. Here's my iPhone at roughly normal viewing distance.

Thumb resize.

Now here's a macro of the same phone taken a few seconds later that shows a close up of a nick I have in the chamfered edge (bottom corner of the phone in the photo, upper left corner when looking at actual phone).
Thumb resize.

Do you see how it's damn near impossible to see from normal viewing distances but looks like a big deal in the close up shot. That little guy is probably bigger than the OP's nicks or "scratches" as you like to call them.

It is not a huge distraction or eye sore. It does not take away from enjoyment of using the device. It does not take away from functionality of the device. If I had picked up the OP's iPad, I would not have noticed those tiny markings.

Look, I understand you've had problems with iOS in the past and you've moved on to Android, so what is the point of you still being here? Every single one of your post are negative. You're not adding anything constructive to the conversation, just telling people to revolt against apple. Please, do the rest of us a favor and stop.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:01 PM   #64
bevsb2
macrumors 6502

I agree that something new in the box should be scratch and otherwise defective free. How you handle the device determines how long it remains scratch free. None of my Apple devices have scratches or other blemishes. I've seen some people throw things like it doesn't matter, "it's just a phone" but that is not my style. And yes, I'd return 6 devices if they came out of the box with scratches.
bevsb2 is offline   2
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:05 PM   #65
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Quote:

Here let me break it down to you. Here's my iPhone at roughly normal viewing distance.

Thumb resize.

Now here's a macro of the same phone taken a few seconds later that shows a close up of a nick I have in the chamfered edge (bottom corner of the phone in the photo, upper left corner when looking at actual phone).
Thumb resize.

Do you see how it's damn near impossible to see from normal viewing distances but looks like a big deal in the close up shot. That little guy is probably bigger than the OP's nicks or "scratches" as you like to call them.

It is not a huge distraction or eye sore. It does not take away from enjoyment of using the device. It does not take away from functionality of the device. If I had picked up the OP's iPad, I would not have noticed those tiny markings.

Look, I understand you've had problems with iOS in the past and you've moved on to Android, so what is the point of you still being here? Every single one of your post are negative. You're not adding anything constructive to the conversation, just telling people to revolt against apple. Please, do the rest of us a favor and stop.
my iphone 5 actually has one nick like that. but ive acepted that.

the ipad though has a bunch of those all around the bezel, which i IMO dont find aceptable.

prob should have went with white, these would be unnotciable since theres no black finish. but i love the stealth look of the all black devices
Chuck-Norris is offline   1
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:07 PM   #66
Caromsoft
macrumors member

Quote:
6th ipad mini replacement? should i just give up?
Chuck Norris would NEVER give up!
Caromsoft is offline   4
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:39 PM   #67
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya View Post
The photo he used is a close up macro shot where the focal point is on the scratches. During normal handling those marks would not be visible except when held up close and looking for them. There are swirl marks on a new car too if you look for them. And like a new car, it's going to develop more of these marks over time and use. Focusing on the fact that it has them isn't productive because unless you bought this ipad to keep in the original box for posterity, it's only going to garner more as you use it.

Sure, my ideal is also that we have a beautiful device that is completely bulletproof. The reality is that probably requires synthetic materials -ie plastic. Most natural materials - wood, stone, glass, steel, aluminum, etc also have properties that mean they show wear with use. Would you rather have a flawless plastic device?
Quote:
I guess it depends on your definition of scratch. I think the OP defines his "imperfection" as a scratch and/or defect. I agree for the extra money being charged.
Quote:

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

heres that random spec of dust under not the screen butt he BLACK BORDER

its right above the light reflection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(6).JPG
Views:	242
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	382554  
Chuck-Norris is offline   1
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:44 PM   #68
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
so ur saying if u buy a car with a scratch on the side, its not considered a defect?
Once again, you morph nicks to scratches in a feeble attempt to justify what you've done. Anyone with any self respect would not even have started this thread.
kodeman53 is offline   3
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:11 PM   #69
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Quote:
sounds crazy but every ipad mini had an issue. 4 of them had nicks on the bzel, one had dust and junk udner the screen and one had a home button that got stuck under the glass when u pres it.

my 6th one has tiny nicks all over the top part of te bezel

the apple store manager just said its barely noticable, but even the geniuses there acknowledge, "yeah we can see it".

i mean, i spent 600 dollars on this, its my first ipad and i love it but, is there really a flawless product or am i having serious ccrappy luck. im not trying to be obessive, just trying to get what i paid for. yes it doesnt efect the device functionaly but, from apple, you'd expect nothing less

p.s- i didnt open 6 at the store, the last 3 i did, the first 3 was through online orders
If you opened the last three at the store and examined them, why did you accept the last one given what you claim to be quite evident defects? Why didn't you ask for another one to examine? Just curious.
Aspasia is offline   1
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:19 PM   #70
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
Once again, you morph nicks to scratches in a feeble attempt to justify what you've done. Anyone with any self respect would not even have started this thread.
It doesn't matter if you call it a Nick or Scratch, whatever it is it's there. Since apple charges a PREMIUM for supposed QUALITY there shouldn't be anything there but black.
SeanR1 is offline   2
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:22 PM   #71
roxxette
Banned

Quote:
It doesn't matter if you call it a Nick or Scratch, whatever it is it's there. Since apple charges a PREMIUM for supposed QUALITY there shouldn't be anything there but black.
Then why not ask for a refund ! you rather waste your time like these ? Seriously 6 devices and still no game just forget it.
roxxette is offline   2
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:49 PM   #72
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
Get a microscope. Use a scanning electron microscope. Find every defect and keep exchanging until you find the perfect, unblemished device. Make it your life's work.
kodeman53 is offline   4
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:01 PM   #73
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
Get a microscope. Use a scanning electron microscope. Find every defect and keep exchanging until you find the perfect, unblemished device. Make it your life's work.
Well I can certainly see the problem in his picture, no microscope needed. I think he should keep exchanging until he gets an unblemished product. Most companies sell blemished products at a discount, not a premium.
SeanR1 is offline   2
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:09 PM   #74
Oui
Banned

And people bitch about the cost of Apple products.
This is why. Somebody has to pay for the asinine antics of some.
Oui is offline   5
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:18 PM   #75
Haifisch
macrumors regular

Quote:
And that is the underlying issue in all of this: expectations. We all have different levels of tolerance. We value the Apple Premium differently and are willing to paying varying amounts of money to get it. $100 to one guy is a fortune, and to another, it's a tip for the valet. Unfortunately, some people interpret this as the right to complain, to demand, to whine.

Another issue is what is considered flawless. With what magnification do you inspect your device? How big does a flaw have to be in order for it to be deemed unacceptable? Again, that definition varies and is influenced by how we value money. I have 2 specks under the black border of my iPhone 5. I'll need my macro lens to capture it but I didn't notice it until this thread came up.

I have always been happy with Apple. When I open anything, from my rMBP, to a lightning to 30pin adapter, to my original iPod touch, I have always been impressed by the packaging. Their attention to detail exceeds that of competitors and extends to the products themselves. I think the Apple premium buys me not only a better built device, but also a higher chance of getting a near flawless one out of the box. Apple has to set their QC somewhere. They will not please everybody. To those who feel entitled to open 10 packages to find one, I suggest you try a different brand. Report back to us and share your findings.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oui View Post
And people bitch about the cost of Apple products.
This is why. Somebody has to pay for the asinine antics of some.
And if SeanR1 is head of QC at Apple: the cost would triple, yields would be exceedingly low, wait times for delivery is measured not weeks but months......

and then people will bitch about that.
Haifisch is offline   5

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland