Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4TheWin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
A ditch somewhere
I'm a new user, and just got an iBook G4. I know this is probably a newbie question, and that it may have been asked before, but I'd like to know what OS I should put on my new laptop. It has a 1.2 Ghz processor, and 768 MB of RAM. Would the benefit of speed outweigh the fact that Tiger's been deemed unsupported by Apple, or should I just stick to Leopard? All my apps work on Tiger, and the only problem for me is running a potentially dangerous operating system.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There are a lot of Tiger fans here, but I'm not one of them. Leopard to me is just better, but that's a personal opinion. Leopard however will run anything Tiger can run. But there are apps that require Leopard and if you have Tiger you of course will not be able to run them.

Max the RAM. A lot of the "slowness" of Leopard can be attributed to not having enough RAM.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
I'm a new user, and just got an iBook G4. I know this is probably a newbie question, and that it may have been asked before, but I'd like to know what OS I should put on my new laptop. It has a 1.2 Ghz processor, and 768 MB of RAM. Would the benefit of speed outweigh the fact that Tiger's been deemed unsupported by Apple, or should I just stick to Leopard? All my apps work on Tiger, and the only problem for me is running a potentially dangerous operating system.

As has already been suggested, Leopard is the way to go. And max out the RAM. I got my iBook with 768MB, and the difference in 1.5GB is not only noticeable, it makes life much easier.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
As has already been suggested, Leopard is the way to go. And max out the RAM. I got my iBook with 768MB, and the difference in 1.5GB is not only noticeable, it makes life much easier.

The only reason to run 10.4.11 is if you need to run any Classic Apps. Other than that, Leopard would likely be best.

Maxing out the RAM is the thing to do, with either system.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

Since you are a new user, you probably don't want to deal with all the compatibility issues that come with running an older OS. Leopard, get more RAM, and use Applications optimized for the computer. I always suggest Leopard Webkit for web browsing. Its user interface is identical to that of Safari's, but the code is optimized and it runs about 20% faster.

G4TheWin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
A ditch somewhere
Since you are a new user, you probably don't want to deal with all the compatibility issues that come with running an older OS. Leopard, get more RAM, and use Applications optimized for the computer. I always suggest Leopard Webkit for web browsing. Its user interface is identical to that of Safari's, but the code is optimized and it runs about 20% faster.

I've already tried Leopard Webkit, but it made Software Update and Mactubes crash, so no thank you!

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I've already tried Leopard Webkit, but it made Software Update and Mactubes crash, so no thank you!

I do not think that it was Webkit that made it crash. I successfully run Webkit on a daily basis on two PowerPC macs without no problems whatsoever. Definitely try again- It was something else.

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
If you've got Leopard already on there, keep it. Your iBook can definitely handle it but grab a 1GB stick and throw it in there for some extra speed.

G4TheWin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
A ditch somewhere
I do not think that it was Webkit that made it crash. I successfully run Webkit on a daily basis on two PowerPC macs without no problems whatsoever. Definitely try again- It was something else.

Nope. I uninstalled it (and nothing else) and both Software Update and MacTubes worked again.

B-G

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
Do not install Leopard Webkit as system default. From Leopard Webkit feedback page:

Comment by project member Tobias.N...@gmail.com, Sep 24, 2012

Installing is an experimental option that is broken since 537.8 . Just use the supplied WebKit executable to have Safari use Leopard WebKit instead of the system installed version.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Webkit?

So, what version of Leopard Webkit for PPC is stable? I think I have 537.10 installed.

Do not install Leopard Webkit as system default. From Leopard Webkit feedback page:

Comment by project member Tobias.N...@gmail.com, Sep 24, 2012

Installing is an experimental option that is broken since 537.8 . Just use the supplied WebKit executable to have Safari use Leopard WebKit instead of the system installed version.

B-G

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
I'm using 537.10, and it seems pretty stable to me. 536.26.14 should be even more stable. The point is you should not install L-W as system default (at least not with 537.10).
In the .dmg file you download from L-W site you will find 6 files. The one marked as "install" is a shell script that replaces the Apple provided version of webkit with the one you just downloaded. This is a system wide replacement (it affects all the applications using webkit, such as Mail) and it's currently broken.
If you just use the provided L-W executable, you should not see the problems some of the users here are having. It just launches Safari 5 using the updated webkit frameworks from L-W, without altering your system. If even that causes stability problems, you should inform the developers, using the feedback page on their site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.