Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:31 AM   #1
randallisation
macrumors newbie

10.6 Server Install Issues

Hi all,

Odd one for anyone to shine a light on. I have a retail copy of 10.6 Server (Snow Leopard), and I'm struggling to install it.

I have two Mac minis, both are the Mac mini 3,1 model. First is a 2GHz C2D with 2GB of RAM, second is a 2.26GHz C2D with 8GB of RAM.

Both machines can install and run 10.6 client without a problem.

- 2GHz/2GB Mac mini CAN install 10.6 Server
- 2.26GHz/8GB Mac mini CANNOT install 10.6 Server

Both the same model number, the one with better specifications gives me the "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer" message when I boot the installer. I'm using a 10.6.4 installation disc.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:55 PM   #2
motorboating
macrumors newbie

Are you installing on to a clean volume with no existing OS? That's usually the thing, however sometimes it's that the disk doesn't have the right drivers.

In the second case, I'd recommend using one in 10.6.x client, installing the server OS from disk via command line and Target Disk Mode.
motorboating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:24 PM   #3
hydrostaticpdx
macrumors newbie

Same here

I have the same issue, but with an Xserve, just imagine. It's just impossible to install SL Server 10.6.3 there. And I tried EVERYTHING. So it looks as it would be just (bad) luck if it works or not.

Please give a hint here if you finally got this to work. Good luck!
hydrostaticpdx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:33 PM   #4
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you are using a gray disc, which is a restore disc designed for one model machine (the one it came with). Can you confirm it's the gray discs instead of a retail disc?
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:48 PM   #5
hydrostaticpdx
macrumors newbie

For me, i can say that it is a white one, for randallisation I do not know.
hydrostaticpdx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking