Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:40 PM   #1
pooleman
macrumors 65816

If I have an iPhone 5 and iPad mini LTE do I really need an iPod Touch?

Just like the title says. I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad mini LTE. Do I really need and iPod touch? I want one but will probably regret it later. But there is truly nothing better that opening a new Apple product. I have about $400 worth of BESTBUY gift cards to burn and not sure what to buy.

I need a new laptop but don't have enough for a Macbook. Any thoughts? Is there any benefit to owning these 3 iDevices or am I throwing money away?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:43 PM   #2
Peace
macrumors P6

Use the gift cards on something else. You already have an iPod Touch in the iPhone.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Dorje Sylas
macrumors regular

As you have an iPhone 5 you have a better iPod Touch then the current iPod Touch.

I guess the question is what tasks do you need the Laptop for?

I used to use a laptop for college but since then (and with the release of the iPad) I'm now using remote access software to get back to my far more powerful tower when I'm 'mobile' away from home.
Dorje Sylas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:44 PM   #4
rgarjr
macrumors 603

If u have an iPhone then u don't need a Touch. It is sometimes tempting to get it if u like apple gear (fanboy). The thing about the iPhone is that u have it with u almost all the time.
rgarjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:08 PM   #5
hoodedwarbler12
macrumors member

There is absolutely nothing the iPod touch can do that a combination of the iPad mini and iPhone 5 cannot do. The only reason you'd want it is the thinness and lightness. I have a 5g and now everything else feels heavy and thick, lol.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:43 PM   #6
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

You're definitely throwing your money away. iPod touch on top of iPhone 5 + iPad mini is extreme overkill.
PDFierro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:56 PM   #7
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

No, theres no reason at all to buy one.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:12 PM   #8
jsook724
macrumors regular

how about a nice pair of parrot ziks?
jsook724 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:36 PM   #9
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsook724 View Post
how about a nice pair of parrot ziks?
What are parrot ziks?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:41 PM   #10
Haifisch
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
What are parrot ziks?
headphones.
Haifisch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:47 PM   #11
burgundyyears
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Just like the title says. I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad mini LTE. Do I really need and iPod touch? I want one but will probably regret it later. But there is truly nothing better that opening a new Apple product. I have about $400 worth of BESTBUY gift cards to burn and not sure what to buy.

I need a new laptop but don't have enough for a Macbook. Any thoughts? Is there any benefit to owning these 3 iDevices or am I throwing money away?
I can't imagine the benefit of the iPod touch even if you only had the iPhone, let alone the iPad mini w/LTE as well! You won't have any use I can think of for the touch. Maybe save money on holiday shopping instead?
burgundyyears is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:01 PM   #12
pooleman
macrumors 65816

The only thing I may need is an iPod without a camera. I work in a defense p,ant that doesn't allow any device with camera capability. So I was thinking of get one the iPod touch and then disabling the camera or just getting a new iPod nano. I'm unsure. I'm on the road traveling for work now so I'm sitting on all this periderm money and nothing to do but work 12 hours a day and spend money.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:17 PM   #13
burgundyyears
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The only thing I may need is an iPod without a camera. I work in a defense p,ant that doesn't allow any device with camera capability. So I was thinking of get one the iPod touch and then disabling the camera or just getting a new iPod nano. I'm unsure. I'm on the road traveling for work now so I'm sitting on all this periderm money and nothing to do but work 12 hours a day and spend money.
The touch has two cameras like the iphone - the back one could be "disabled" easily enough but i'm not sure how you'd disable the front one without disassembling it or breaking the glass? Doesn't seem viable to me.
burgundyyears is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:48 PM   #14
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

I'd either get a Windows 8 laptop (it won't exactly be high end though) or the iPod Touch. You could use it as a media device at home or work so you don't drain your phones battery. A nice set of speakers or some external drives might be nice too. Tech wise, you can do a lot with $400
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:38 AM   #15
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Get a Classic. May be abit old stuff, but the 36hrs battery is comparable to the iPod Touch 5th Gen's 40 hrs. Plus you get 160GB of storage. And you don't have to worry about disabling the camera or whatsoever.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:01 AM   #16
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

With the current price of Touch 5, it is just not worthed if you already owned IPhone 5. Or you can try gen 4 just for music and light gaming.

Still, Laptop would be a better choice. Why does it has to be Mac anyway, Window 7 notebook should do just fine for typical use, no?
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:23 AM   #17
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
With the current price of Touch 5, it is just not worthed if you already owned IPhone 5. Or you can try gen 4 just for music and light gaming.

Still, Laptop would be a better choice. Why does it has to be Mac anyway, Window 7 notebook should do just fine for typical use, no?
I just prefer the Mac to PC. My iBook G4 is still functioning after 8 years of use. Its old and antiquated now and won't run current software, sync with my iDevices, and I want to be able to do things like use airplay form the laptop to Apple TV. I may end up just getting a new Mac Mini as mine is now no longer supported by Apple.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:34 AM   #18
bjm2660
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I just prefer the Mac to PC. My iBook G4 is still functioning after 8 years of use. Its old and antiquated now and won't run current software, sync with my iDevices, and I want to be able to do things like use airplay form the laptop to Apple TV. I may end up just getting a new Mac Mini as mine is now no longer supported by Apple.
Yes. Now you're talking. The mini fulfills a need; the iPod Touch does not. Recent minis are screamers compared to the machine you'd be replacing.
bjm2660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:56 AM   #19
jonsuh
macrumors member

Concur with most of the post above, not worth getting the iPod Touch. Get some accessories for your devices, and not to just "throw" your money away but legitimately useful ones. Maybe bluetooth earphones or bluetooth portable speakers?

Not sure what you own already, but I own a Jawbone JAMBOX and I love that thing! Now I wish I had the Big JAMBOX but the original one still packs a punch.

Some iTunes gift cards for yourself as well for some apps?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:07 PM   #20
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

the ipod touch is basically an phone-less iphone and uses older/worse hardware compared to the iphone

the ipad mini is basically a smaller ipad and uses older/worse hardware compared to the ipad

so there's no reason to get an ipod touch if you already have an iphone, but there's a reason to get the ipad mini instead of the ipad: the smaller size
Androidfan1x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:40 PM   #21
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidfan1x View Post
the ipod touch is basically an phone-less iphone and uses older/worse hardware compared to the iphone

the ipad mini is basically a smaller ipad and uses older/worse hardware compared to the ipad

so there's no reason to get an ipod touch if you already have an iphone, but there's a reason to get the ipad mini instead of the ipad: the smaller size

you are contradicting yourself because from what you said, if you already owned Ipad, why get a mini since its just smaller older cpu, cheaper hardware? To fill up space?

Some iphone users have Ipod touch for when they go to fitness. As for the OP, he shouldn't get ipod touch because Mini is already like an enlarged Ipod touch. If he has Ipad 4 then i would suggest get Ipod touch 4 for music, light game and fitness and dont drain all battery from his iphone.
raccoonboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch