Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:43 PM   #1
eespinosa
macrumors newbie

White Screen

A friend of a friend is selling an iPhone 32GB 3GS for $75. It turns on, but the screen is white. He says he doesn't know how to fix it and wants a new phone anyway. He says it's never been exposed to water. I'm not sure what water damage in an iPhone looks like. I saw online how a reset can probably revive a white screen on an iPhone. Is it worth taking a chance for $75? Is water damage a possibility?
eespinosa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Shadowbech
macrumors 6502a

Has your friend ever dropped his iphone 3GS before? My sister dropped her iPhone 3G once and the screen turned all white and nothing worked, she was able to connect to itunes and back up but was just white screen. Fortunately we got it replaced without any cost. So you might ask your friend if it was ever dropped.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:05 PM   #3
eespinosa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbech View Post
Has your friend ever dropped his iphone 3GS before? My sister dropped her iPhone 3G once and the screen turned all white and nothing worked, she was able to connect to itunes and back up but was just white screen. Fortunately we got it replaced without any cost. So you might ask your friend if it was ever dropped.
If it fell, there isn't any evidence of that. It barely has any blemishes.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Shadowbech
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by eespinosa View Post
If it fell, there isn't any evidence of that. It barely has any blemishes.
When my sister dropped her phone that caused the white screen there was no evidence for it either as there was no marking or blemishes (She had a case on tho so may that is why it didn't leave a mark).

Anyways check the headphone jack and the dock connector to see if it's pink. If it is then water or moister may have tripped the sensor.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:21 PM   #5
eespinosa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbech View Post
When my sister dropped her phone that caused the white screen there was no evidence for it either as there was no marking or blemishes (She had a case on tho so may that is why it didn't leave a mark).

Anyways check the headphone jack and the dock connector to see if it's pink. If it is then water or moister may have tripped the sensor.
Perfect. That's what I had been looking for online. A way to see if there is water damage. Thanks. I might take the chance if I don't see any pink around the headphone jack and/or dock connector.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:41 PM   #6
luisadastwin
macrumors regular

Occasionally, screen can go white and a simple tap on power off and then on again solves the problem (or a reset with 10 seconds POWER + HOME).

For what I've read, almost certainly there's always an hardware issue in the LCD or the main board connectors / ribbons.

But I'm also hoping to solve my 3GS' occasional white screen without replacing LCD.
luisadastwin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone