Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
So it's been six months since the entire MacBook Pro and Air line-up has been graced with USB 3.0. The new Mac mini and iMac's have since been upgraded to USB 3.0 as well, albeit with 4 each, so a hub may not be necessary for most people with one of those. Then again, most people buy MacBook's of one sort or another (over 75% in fact) and they only have 2 USB 3 ports, so I can't believe I'm the only one looking for a simple USB hub...? :confused:

I know about the Support page on apple dot com, but even with all recent software updates applied - of which at least one talked about how USB compatibility had supposedly been improved - I am still not finding any USB 3.0 hubs except a yellow one from Satechi. (although it looks like they have the same one in grey now)

So does anybody have a working USB 3 hub? By that I mean one that works at USB 3.0 transfer speeds? Any recommendations or help would be greatly appreciated? Are there any other people looking for a USB 3 hub? :(

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
There are tons of them. I've been using one for months.

What are you talking about?

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Came here to post this. Was not disappointed. Upvote to you sir. However, i would have used US based shopping results. The OP is in Hollywood, so initiative and smarts aren't exactly in great supply there. You need to hold his hand.

Aww...what terrible fighting words. Are you one of those pseudo-cultured hypocritical *******s from Europe who likes to talk down the U.S. in his spare time while at the same time gobbling up everything that comes from us, including Hollywood? And I trust you have visited here, yes? (...that's what I thought.)

And to the rest of y'all, excuse the hell out of me for asking a question. I have purchased two USB 3.0 hubs, both of which only work at USB 2.0 speeds. When researching the issue, the supported operating systems routinely exclude all Macs with USB 3. Sometimes, specifically by model, e.g. "Does not work with MacBook Pro w/ Retina display". Still others have 4+ star reviews and the one or two 1-star ones are all Mac owners who scream about how "this hub sucks", despite the fact that the supported OS section only listed every last edition of Windows.

Now...all of you who claim to have a working USB 3.0 hub on a Mac, and working at USB 3.0 speeds, I want you to respond and tell me the make and model # so we can see if you're really so completely above me technologically or if all you can do is run a Google search. A'ight???

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
.)

And to the rest of y'all, excuse the hell out of me for asking a question. I have purchased two USB 3.0 hubs, both of which only work at USB 2.0 speeds. When researching the issue, the supported operating systems routinely exclude all Macs with USB 3. Sometimes, specifically by model, e.g. "Does not work with MacBook Pro w/ Retina display". Still others have 4+ star reviews and the one or two 1-star ones are all Mac owners who scream about how "this hub sucks", despite the fact that the supported OS section only listed every last edition of Windows.

You failed to clearly mention you have tried ones that are available in your OP... USB hubs should not be affected by the Mac or PC. What are the models of the ones you have tried that didn't work?

TheSpeaker

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Aww...what terrible fighting words. Are you one of those pseudo-cultured hypocritical *******s from Europe who likes to talk down the U.S. in his spare time while at the same time gobbling up everything that comes from us, including Hollywood? And I trust you have visited here, yes? (...that's what I thought.)

Born and raised on the west coast kiddo. Nice try though. Typical Hollywood arrogance, hence why I never spend more than a few days there at a time unless work dictates it. Sad. The only thing more sad is that I take work from you Hollywood types here in the Bay area...mainly because I'm more talented and efficient than you are. I can mix, color grade, and edit as well or better than you people in the hills any day.

Also using a 4 port USB 3.0 hub at USB 3.0 speeds on a Mac without any issues. Got another whine?

Last edited:

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Are you one of those pseudo-cultured hypocritical *******s from Europe who likes to talk down the U.S. in his spare time while at the same time gobbling up everything that comes from us, including Hollywood?
Yes.

;-)

----------

Now...all of you who claim to have a working USB 3.0 hub on a Mac, and working at USB 3.0 speeds, I want you to respond and tell me the make and model # so we can see if you're really so completely above me technologically or if all you can do is run a Google search. A'ight???
We discussed the compatible models last week (or so):
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1502677/
and
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1493121/

----------

Got another whine?
Sure.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Came here to post this. Was not disappointed. Upvote to you sir. However, i would have used US based shopping results. The OP is in Hollywood, so initiative and smarts aren't exactly in great supply there. You need to hold his hand.

Yeah, I just used Google Shopping and geolocation meant the default was the UK, sorry about that.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
The one I have now is from IOGear, model # GUH374. I just received a tweet from Belkin, a major accessory maker for all platforms: "unfortunately the only USB 3.0 hub we have is only compatible with window drivers, we have nothing for MAC OS."

To my west coast buddy/Hollywood reject/hater: Ohh, this is a Bay Area vs. L.A. thing, is it? That explains everything. So again, I need a MODEL # for the USB 3.0 hub you claim to have is working at USB 3.0 speeds. Come on, man...you can do it! Simply follow the instructions below:

Also, "NMF", "dontpanic", "Mr. Retrofire", "ChrisMan": Click on the :apple: logo, select "About this Mac" --> "More Info" ---> "System Report". Then kindly select USB in the left-hand menu that magically opens up and write your MODEL # in your response to this thread. Thus far, only "torana355" seems to be truly interested in helping me find one.

All of you made it sound like I'm the only one who doesn't have a USB 3 hub hanging from the side of their Mac. Clearly, you can look this up in less time than it takes you to write another ignorant baseless insult?

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
Also, "ChrisMan": Click on the Apple logo, select "About this Mac" --> "More Info" ---> "System Report". Then kindly select USB in the left-hand menu that magically opens up and write your MODEL # in your response to this thread.

AK-68UNHUB-B72AU

Would you like some more butthurt with another side of spoonfeeding?

TheSpeaker

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
To my west coast buddy/Hollywood reject/hater: Ohh, this is a Bay Area vs. L.A. thing, is it? That explains everything. So again, I need a MODEL # for the USB 3.0 hub you claim to have is working at USB 3.0 speeds. Come on, man...you can do it! Simply follow the instructions below:

HA HA HA, Hollywood "reject"? I've been to dozens of cities all over this planet, everywhere from slums to palaces. I've been shot at by terrorists in cities I'd rather spend a month in than a day LA. Have fun with your smog and plastic.

If you're too simple not to be able to figure this problem out on your own, that explains a lot.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
AK-68UNHUB-B72AU

Would you like some more butthurt with another side of spoonfeeding?

Thank you. (I think :rolleyes:)

HA HA HA, Hollywood "reject"? I've been to dozens of cities all over this planet, everywhere from slums to palaces. I've been shot at by terrorists in cities I'd rather spend a month in than a day LA. Have fun with your smog and plastic.

If you're too simple not to be able to figure this problem out on your own, that explains a lot.

Boy, you're easily riled up, aren't you? So you're a worldly person now...I'm not originally from L.A., but I really dig the weather. Your narrow-mindededness and ignorance baffle me, as you would know that there are plenty of high quality, high caliber people living in L.A. as well as the fact that smog hasn't been an issue in L.A. for over a decade. And I have probably been to more countries and lived in more places in the U.S. than you, but I never seem to have the urge to be braggadocios about it.

I'm not military, but the fact that you say you've been shot at lets me know you're either a veteran or some kind of war photographer trying to re-enter life as a civilian, which doesn't seem to be going all that well. Which I understand and if you're having to deal with the VA, then I feel genuinely sorry for you, because that's the last thing you should have to go through when you're obviously crying out for help.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006

Has a NRA sticker.

rofl!

Boy, you're easily riled up, aren't you? So you're a worldly person now...I'm not originally from L.A., but I really dig the weather. Your narrow-mindededness and ignorance baffle me, as you would know that there are plenty of high quality, high caliber people living in L.A. as well as the fact that smog hasn't been an issue in L.A. for over a decade. And I have probably been to more countries and lived in more places in the U.S. than you, but I never seem to have the urge to be braggadocios about it.

I'm not military, but the fact that you say you've been shot at lets me know you're either a veteran or some kind of war photographer trying to re-enter life as a civilian, which doesn't seem to be going all that well. Which I understand and if you're having to deal with the VA, then I feel genuinely sorry for you, because that's the last thing you should have to go through when you're obviously crying out for help.

what on earth are you babbling on about?

nemsye

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
To the OP, did you have any success with a HUB that reliably performed at USB3 speeds on a retina macbook pro?

I have read the other responses with pastes of random usb3 Hubs that are for sale, but a lot of these now via amazon uk or other have specific mention in the comments that they have issues with retina mbps, in some cases this is acknowledged by the manufacturer.

TLDR:

I too can use google to find random hubs for sale like the ones in this thread, but I'd like to hear from anyone who is actually running a reliable usb3 hub on a rMBP, and what model number it is, that would be really helpful.

am also looking for a reliable USB3 cf reader.

Cheers!

nemsye

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
thanks jedolley that's exactly the kind of answer i was hoping for...

although now i'm even more confused as in the feeedback on the link you give it seems problematic, and also elsewhere such as in this listing:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uspeed-USB-3-0-7-port-Hub-with-USB-3-0-Cable-and-Power-Adapter-/320999104030?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Cables&hash=item4abd099e1e

its clearly marked as not compatible for retina macbook pro...
"System Requirements
Windows XP/Vista/7, Mac OS (Not compatible with Retina Macbook Pro)"

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
thanks jedolley that's exactly the kind of answer i was hoping for...

although now i'm even more confused as in the feeedback on the link you give it seems problematic, and also elsewhere such as in this listing:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uspeed-US...t=UK_Computing_USB_Cables&hash=item4abd099e1e

its clearly marked as not compatible for retina macbook pro...
"System Requirements
Windows XP/Vista/7, Mac OS (Not compatible with Retina Macbook Pro)"

Yeah, apparently there is a new version/revision but that was after I got mine so I can't comment on that.

kjsdad

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
Apple Macbook Pro & USB 3.0 not ready for each other.

Yeah, apparently there is a new version/revision but that was after I got mine so I can't comment on that.

I have read so many posts... yes used google.... some don't have even enough power(powered usb 3.0 hub) to sustain the 900ma. Others just say don't work on mac... mountain lion... i have the retina macbook pro & have sent back uspeed... thought i found it with pluggable... but they also have a disclaimer... Apple get with a vendor and make this work.... sell them on your site... who cares we want one that works. and it would be terrific if it would also work with the superdrive, but that's probably too much to ask.
http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I have read so many posts... yes used google.... some don't have even enough power(powered usb 3.0 hub) to sustain the 900ma. Others just say don't work on mac... mountain lion... i have the retina macbook pro & have sent back uspeed... thought i found it with pluggable... but they also have a disclaimer... Apple get with a vendor and make this work.... sell them on your site... who cares we want one that works. and it would be terrific if it would also work with the superdrive, but that's probably too much to ask.
http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Maybe it's something with the newer "revision" because the USpeed I have worked fine when I had the rMBP and continues to work fine with my 2012 27" iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.