Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:59 AM   #26
bflowers
macrumors 6502

Why is Apple even working with Google on this? They have enough cash just in Steve's old sofa to buy Kodak outright and still have enough to buy an overpriced Facebook! Not that they would want Facebook.
bflowers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:37 AM   #27
the8thark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Apple doesn't really _want_ these patents, all they want is not getting sued by Google or anyone else. And Google doesn't really _want_ these patents, all they want is not getting sued by Apple or anyone else. Since there is an obvious way how they can both achieve what they want at a relatively low price, instead of getting in a bidding war in which one achieves what they want at a much too high cost, and the other loses out, it would be outright stupidity not to team up.
I agree 100%. Both sides want less of this pointless litigation stuff through the courts. I am glad both sides can put aside their differences to achieve this common goal. Maybe this idea can spread to other aspects too.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:23 AM   #28
1957GoldTop
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since 1984 View Post
No sad at all. Although the digital research and innovation were integral to the development of those technologies, most everything else they was sub-standard or plain bad: color paper that was just garbage, consumer film that was grainy, professional film with poor contrast and color fidelity, consumer electronics that were out of date before they hit the market, etc

The only exceptions were Eastman motion picture films which were outstanding.

The demise of Kodak is a warning for Apple: innovate quality or die!
You're joking right? Kodak's professional film was and still is the standard. I'm a professional photographer (a real one, not an ex-dentist that now takes pictures of pregnant moms and pets) and when I shoot film only use Kodak. Tri-x is THE legendary b&w film. Kodachrome is a beyond iconic color film and Portra is a spectacular color negative film.

So, while Kodak screwed a lot of things up, professional film was never one of them.
1957GoldTop is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:41 PM   #29
globalhemp
macrumors regular

Mid 1990's

Yes, Apple's QuickTake camera was basically a Kodak camera with drivers to allow it to work on your Performa, Quadra, etc.

Apple also partnered with Cannon for Apple branded Color StyleWriter, an inkjet printer. So, Apple may have some collaborative patents with that "camera" company as well.

In 1994 of so, Apple has a black all-in-one Mac that included a TV tuner. Not yet an iMac, nor HDTV. Here we are nearly 20 years later, and ...
globalhemp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:00 PM   #30
hamkor04
macrumors 6502

what about Microsoft, IBM, Samsung and other tech giants who MIGHT be beneficial from Kodaks patents? Or they don't need that?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:07 PM   #31
Glideslope
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
Excellent.

Thermonuclear friendship.
The "Yes we see Samsung" era has begun. The next 2 years will determine the future.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamkor04 View Post
what about Microsoft, IBM, Samsung and other tech giants who MIGHT be beneficial from Kodaks patents? Or they don't need that?
Microsoft? Can probably get cheap license fees if WIN8 Phone is a bomb.

IBM? Um, ok.

Samsung? Easy. $20 a handset. Or no cameras.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflowers View Post
Why is Apple even working with Google on this? They have enough cash just in Steve's old sofa to buy Kodak outright and still have enough to buy an overpriced Facebook! Not that they would want Facebook.
To defeat a common enemy. Samsung.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:17 PM   #32
Purant
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glideslope View Post
To defeat a common enemy. Samsung.
How is Samsung an enemy to Google?

And how are these patents related to taking Samsung down?
Purant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:07 PM   #33
hudson1
macrumors regular

Interesting. Not sure how this would pass muster with the Justice Dept., though, as it borders on the highly illegal practice of bid-rigging.
hudson1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:54 PM   #34
MacDav
Banned

Good move
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:24 PM   #35
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
No sad at all. Although the digital research and innovation were integral to the development of those technologies, most everything else they was sub-standard or plain bad: color paper that was just garbage, consumer film that was grainy, professional film with poor contrast and color fidelity, consumer electronics that were out of date before they hit the market, etc

The only exceptions were Eastman motion picture films which were outstanding.

The demise of Kodak is a warning for Apple: innovate quality or die!
This would imply that Apple is on a path similar to Kodak's and must change course to stay alive. If you mean this as a general statement, then it applies to every maker of tech and not just Apple. Either way it is simplistic and reckless.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:40 PM   #36
Marrakas
macrumors 6502

I'm so tired of patents.

I'm gonna patent patenting so that everyone who want's a patent have to pay me. Then I'm gonna use the money building a car that runs on tears.
Marrakas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:12 PM   #37
Gasu E.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
cooperation?
Kumbaya.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrakas View Post
I'm gonna patent patenting so that everyone who want's a patent have to pay me. Then I'm gonna use the money building a car that runs on tears.
I'm going to patent making dumb "I'm going to patent something dumb" jokes.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:35 PM   #38
Mystic386
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsta View Post
Kodak made mistakes in recent years, obviously, or this wouldn't have happened. People are still allowed to feel sad about the fall of a great company with such a long and proud history. It's a history a lot older than you, and your subjective view of a handful of recent products.
Kodak didn't make their mistake in recent years. It just became more obvious then.

I remember someone writing years ago about being in a Kodak AGM where Kodak management dismissed digital and the new Japanese camera and film houses. They had the Kodak is the best and people won't buy anything else. (sounds like a Steve Ballmer type) The guy realised then Kodak was doomed. He sold his shares and bought a competing company that was to be the future of camera and film.

Kodak lost years ago when they didn't see the trends or didn't notice what others were doing, or didn't appreciate what the future would be.

History is littered with corporates who had their heads in the sand.

Last edited by Mystic386; Dec 8, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Mystic386 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:21 PM   #39
DollaTwentyFive
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Excellent.

Mutual Assured Destruction!!
DollaTwentyFive is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:58 AM   #40
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic386 View Post
Kodak didn't make their mistake in recent years. It just became more obvious then.

I remember someone writing years ago about being in a Kodak AGM where Kodak management dismissed digital and the new Japanese camera and film houses. They had the Kodak is the best and people won't buy anything else. (sounds like a Steve Ballmer type) The guy realised then Kodak was doomed. He sold his shares and bought a competing company that was to be the future of camera and film.

Kodak lost years ago when they didn't see the trends or didn't notice what others were doing, or didn't appreciate what the future would be.
For a company that's been around since 1889, this was recent years.
kalsta is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:34 AM   #41
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957GoldTop View Post
Kodachrome is a beyond iconic color film and Portra is a spectacular color negative film.
They still make Kodachrome? I thought that died long ago in favor of Ektachrome. I remember Kodak stopped producing a number of films in the past couple years.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:51 AM   #42
DeathChill
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
I'm now tempted to combine images of explosions with rainbows and ponies.
Are you implying that you don't have already dozens of those on your computer? What kind of monster are you?
DeathChill is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:17 AM   #43
johannar
Banned

wow, Google and Apple, is this a reality?
johannar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:39 AM   #44
Macinposh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No sad at all. Although the digital research and innovation were integral to the development of those technologies, most everything else they was sub-standard or plain bad: color paper that was just garbage, consumer film that was grainy, professional film with poor contrast and color fidelity.

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Stop spewing ****.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:04 PM   #45
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Been saying Apple should buy Kodak for months.

Then all Droid phone would need to day "Technology licensed from Apple!"
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:51 PM   #46
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic386 View Post

History is littered with corporates who had their heads in the sand.
And yet, they get golden parachutes, while the regular workers get shafted! We have to stop rewarding people who fail!
imageWIS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:24 PM   #47
Marrakas
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasu E. View Post
I'm going to patent making dumb "I'm going to patent something dumb" jokes.
Good, maybe you can use the money to cure mental illness.
Marrakas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:52 PM   #48
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Doomed

Kodak was a film company. An expert in film. They couldn't save themselves because film died.

They could have started selling Kodak toothpaste or digital cameras but that would not have 'saved' the company. It would have just been a different company with a very similar sounding name.
I need a new phone, One that won't make me sick, One that won't make me crash my car, Or make me feel three feet thick, One that won't hurt my head, One that won't make me nervous,Wondering what to do
RobertMartens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:23 PM   #49
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Excellent.

Would you like to play a nice game of Chess?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:05 PM   #50
brdeveloper
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
I have to agree, it is sad. In so many ways, Kodak is photography.
Hopefully Google or Apple will bring a digital sensor to my film cameras. I would definitely buy an iRoll. Looks innovative bringing old (and pretty good) cameras back to life. I imagine it transferring my pictures immediately to my Android/iOS device, working as an external Live View.

This would push Apple seriously into the camera market. Would compete with professional gear with all the processing power and portability a smartphone can give.

Just dreaming...
brdeveloper is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion