Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
My old unlocked iPhone 3G died and Apple gave me a deal on a refurb'ed 16GB 3GS running iOS 5.1.1 (firmware 05.16.05). Is there any way to unlock this if it was made in 2012? Would upgrading to iOS 6 allow me to use a factory unlock via eBAY?

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
There are no software unlock methods for your 3GS on new bootrom.

You can go the IMEI Factory Unlock route, but you do not need to upgrade ios. It is IOS and Baseband independent. Just buy the unlock and you should be fine.

tim9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Where to buy the IMEI Unlock

Where is the best place to buy the IMEI factory unlock? best price/reputable?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
My old unlocked iPhone 3G died and Apple gave me a deal on a refurb'ed 16GB 3GS running iOS 5.1.1 (firmware 05.16.05). Is there any way to unlock this if it was made in 2012? Would upgrading to iOS 6 allow me to use a factory unlock via eBAY?

It depends what wireless carrier your iphone is locked to.
Whatever you do dont try to unlock it using the ipad baseband or you will ruin it and fry all the wireless chips.

tim9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
UnlockFusion did the trick

Thanks all, I bought an IMEI unlock on EBay from UnlockFusion and $3.15 and 1 hour later, it was unlocked. I am back on T-Mobile. Yay???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.