Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Just turn off the noise canceling by turning on hearing aid mode and see if that helps you.

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
unfortunately that also makes the phone significantly louder, it is a fix that works, but it's not ideal.

sergiozambrano

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Noise canceling sucks, but doesn't hurt

The noise cancellation is NOT for your ear confort, but for your caller, so it's not throwing any counter-wave to your ears.

You can easily test if the phone is shutting counter-noise to your ears, just by holding the phone against your ear in a noisy place, while on a call (tell the caller to keep quiet) and just plug your earphone in.
The speaker will shut up and you should suddenly notice your surrounding noise louder… (because the noise canceling depends on the speaker working to do the magic)

Anyway, the noise cancelation system sucks anyway, because it does NOT use the proximity sensor to STOP working, and when the back microphone picks up your voice too and MUTES you (the other person can't hear you)

I just got an IPhone 5 and I can't believe they didn't fix it yet.
Really stupid considering there's a sensor already (proximity) that could stop it, yet not implemented.

WAKE UP APPLE! THE NOISE CANCELING MUTES OUR VOICE IF WE TAKE THE PHONE A LITTLE AWAY FROM OUR EAR, SO USE THE PROXIMITY SENSOR TO STOP ANNOYING 90% OF MY CALLS FOR 10% OF NOISY SCENARIOS (yes, because if I don't always hold the phone in the RIGHT position, burning my ear, and my voice is picked up by the back mic and the other person can't hear me).

Now, even if the phone HAD noise canceling for your ear, saying that its waves are hurting your ear is absurd. The sound waves that are shot to your ears are EXACTLY as the ones you need to hear the noise. At max, your brain feels confused because that ear is NOT hearing the noise while the other is.

The noise cancelation equals to cross wire a speaker. It sounds the same, but when the right-wired speaker pulls, the other pushes.

If you have doubts, go to a BOSE store, and try one of their real good noise canceling headphones in just one ear, and let us know.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
So you're on your phone... driving... complaining that your ears hurt because you held the phone up to your face? I'm surprised you haven't been arrested.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
How is the noise cancellation a problem? I find myself able to hear the other person a lot better. It basically seems to reject all extraneous audio.. How the heck can silence hurt your ears?

The tech they use to give off the noise cancelling effect causes a disorienting feeling in some. It doesn't so much hurt as it feels like the pressure is building up in your head like it does when you're driving up a mountain.

basatluv

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
i phone 4 humming noise

I recently switched services and got the iphone 4 and i activated it then immediately got this humming noise and it is unbearably loud, i can't hear no one and they can't hear me. I sent the phone back on 12/3 and it is now 12/8 and they claim they haven't gotten the phone back yet and i am now without a phone for 5 days, this is ridiculous, has anyone else had this problem?

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
As some one who just changed from a Samsung Galaxy S2 to an iPhone 5, my experience has been exact opposite. While I was talking with my wife she asked me why I am not driving my car and driving her newer Lexus. I told her I am driving my own car. She said your car makes more noise and there is no noise coming at the other end. I then realized that the noise cancellation of my iPhone 5 is not sending the noise to her SGS2. My elderly mom too said why the phone is sounding so clear. To make it short, I think the iPhone has a brilliant smart and active microphone and sound system. I do find Apple's head set to be not too good a fit in the ear and I use my SkullCandy in the ear which plugs right in and are soft and do not fall off.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I have no trouble with using my phone while driving. Actually, the 5 is way better then the 4. I had to turn my radio off in order to talk in the car.

For those getting on your high horse, talking is perfectly legal in most states, why is talking on my phone any different than talking to my passenger? Quit telling me what I can do in my own damn car!

Do you hold your right/left hand to your ear while you talk to a passenger in your car? :rolleyes:

I think it should be illegal in all states. Use the earpods or a BT headset.

Anyway, yes the noise canceling is noticeable. How much it bothers you is very user specific.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Do you hold your right/left hand to your ear while you talk to a passenger in your car? :rolleyes:

I think it should be illegal in all states. Use the earpods or a BT headset.

Anyway, yes the noise canceling is noticeable. How much it bothers you is very user specific.

Not illegal in North Carolina and I hope it stays that way, thank you very much. I hate BT headsets, they're obnoxious. My car does not have builtin BT and talking on earpods is more distracting because you have earphones in your ears and can't hear what is going on around you, THAT is what should be illegal! Every heard of speaker phone? It works quite nicely, thank you very much. The phone sits in my door handle while I drive down the road talking with both my hands on the wheel and probably way less distracted than the asshat in front of me with the obnoxious flashing blue BT headset talking while eating a cheeseburger and shaving! Again, stay out of my car. I know what I can and cannot do safely while driving because only I know MY abilities! SMDH!

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Not illegal in North Carolina and I hope it stays that way, thank you very much. I hate BT headsets, they're obnoxious. My car does not have builtin BT and talking on earpods is more distracting because you have earphones in your ears and can't hear what is going on around you, THAT is what should be illegal! Every heard of speaker phone? It works quite nicely, thank you very much. The phone sits in my door handle while I drive down the road talking with both my hands on the wheel and probably way less distracted than the asshat in front of me with the obnoxious flashing blue BT headset talking while eating a cheeseburger and shaving! Again, stay out of my car. I know what I can and cannot do safely while driving because only I know MY abilities! SMDH!

You don't find it ironic that you're telling people to "stay out of my car.", yet just a few keystrokes earlier making the same complaints about other drivers? Eating, talking on phone, texting, doing makeup, changing clothes...whatever. That 2 ton hunk of metal and plastic can quickly be turned into a deadly weapon, and people don't respect that...or, like you, think they're so skilled, nothing will ever happen. When you're doing something on a daily basis that could injure or kill someone, I'm ok with the public voicing an opinion about it and laws put in place to ban it.

BTW, cool for you that you put your phone in your door and use speaker phone. There have been multiple studies done that show it's not the holding of the phone that's the real danger, but the loss of attention to the road and surroundings because you're paying attention to the conversation as the main issue. What's different from talking on the phone as opposed to a passenger you asked (or someone did)...well, your passenger is right there in the car with you and another pair of eyes if something is not right. Doesn't take rocket science to figure this stuff out.

But go ahead and keep thinking you're abilities are so superior that you're immune to a lapse in attention, hope it bites you in the rear sometime. A lot of people think they're better at things than they really are, I'd be willing to bet you don't have any drivers training outside of whatever you did as a teenager.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Your response to me is not valid/relevant, if you use the speakerphone. Not sure what your beef is.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
People always find i way to destroy threads like these, op comes with a problem looking for "homebrew" fix but others just start attacking either calling him a liar or just bringing up something from the post to bother....

Use the headphones that come with the 4s mate, you should be good if you get used to it.

raf66

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
I don't have any of the issues with noise-canceling that the OP has, but everyone experiences things differently. I notice an odd inner-ear sensation with NC headphones, but no pain.

To those who have a problem with talking on the phone while driving (texting is a different story) the good news is YOU don't have to do it. As far as it being a dangerous distraction, until auto manufacturers stop putting touchscreen sound systems, GPS systems, etc. an arm's length from the driver, distractions will be part of a driver's normal commute. Driving a 2 ton hunk of metal always has, and always will, involve risk. I've watched men shave, women put on makeup, and both genders reading, eating and disciplining children while rocketing down the highway, all of which are far more distracting than TALKING on the phone. Why don't we just criminalize doing ANYTHING but driving and remove stereos, climate controls, etc. My gut tells me we would still have distracted drivers.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
OP: How about you use a headset and KEEP YOUR FREAKIN' HANDS ON THE WHEEL.

As a motorcyclist who has been in 3 life threatening near-misses this year all from drivers TALKING OR TEXTING this is a pet peeve.

----------

If find it ironic that a motorcyclist is trying to tell someone how they should drive. Don't be offended, because i don't know you or how you drive.

But i CAN tell you i curse out at least 1 idiot on a motorcycle per day for the DUMB crap they do. be it weaving in and out between cars, cutting me off going 130 miles an hour etc etc.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
If find it ironic that a motorcyclist is trying to tell someone how they should drive. Don't be offended, because i don't know you or how you drive.

But i CAN tell you i curse out at least 1 idiot on a motorcycle per day for the DUMB crap they do. be it weaving in and out between cars, cutting me off going 130 miles an hour etc etc.

Hate the game not the playa :p

tharepairguy

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
Some people need to get off their high horses. As a motorcyclist, I have a problem with idiot drivers. Just because they are on the phone does not warrant this stupid agruement. It's my job while riding to know what each and every person is doing in their car when they're close to me. Not everyone is created equal. There ARE actually people on this planet that can multi-task just fine. Idiots that ruin things for others...

Oh and I'm pro talking and driving if you couldnt tell...

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Some people need to get off their high horses. As a motorcyclist, I have a problem with idiot drivers. Just because they are on the phone does not warrant this stupid agruement. It's my job while riding to know what each and every person is doing in their car when they're close to me. Not everyone is created equal. There ARE actually people on this planet that can multi-task just fine. Idiots that ruin things for others...

Oh and I'm pro talking and driving if you couldnt tell...

This is very true.

Some people are just not born with common sense.

Most bicyclists i'd like to punch in the nose as well. Especially in the hipster haven that Chicago has become.
They blow through stop signs, red lights, weave in and out of traffic etc etc.
I find myself in gigantic Lexus truck which weighs almost 5000 pounds, actually scared to be around THEM.

But then there are some with brains, that stay away from cars, and obey traffic laws.

digitalbill

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
IPhone 5 ear pain

I am on my 3rd IPhone 5, I had the 3 the 4s and loved them until now. The phone hurts my Ears hurt/throb after using. NO... I don't want to use a headset. Why should I be forced to use a headset. I cant stand the phone and feel it could be causing damage to my ear. This needs to be fixed. I would like my money back but I have been unsuccessful in getting it. I switched back to my 4S today until I can get a new phone. Any Ideas :mad:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I honestly dont even hear or feel the noise cancellation effects when im on the phone..pretty weird

----------

unfortunately that also makes the phone significantly louder, it is a fix that works, but it's not ideal.

So try just lowering the volume a bit?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I am on my 3rd IPhone 5, I had the 3 the 4s and loved them until now. The phone hurts my Ears hurt/throb after using. NO... I don't want to use a headset. Why should I be forced to use a headset. I cant stand the phone and feel it could be causing damage to my ear. This needs to be fixed. I would like my money back but I have been unsuccessful in getting it. I switched back to my 4S today until I can get a new phone. Any Ideas :mad:

Why can't you return your iPhone? I'd think that after trying a couple (you said you've tried 3) you'd know that it wasn't for you.

Alternatively, why don't you sell it?

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
I honestly dont even hear or feel the noise cancellation effects when im on the phone..pretty weird

----------

So try just lowering the volume a bit?

Yep, you can lower it enough now that I've tested it. When I first tested it, the volume didn't seem to want to lower enough to not be really loud, but it must've been something wrong with that particular phone. I returned that phone, instead of getting a warranty replacement, since I was worried it wouldn't work right and I'd be stuck.

However, I've been using it with the noise cancellation turned off for a little over a month now and the volume is about the same as my iphone 4s was.

----------

Turn off the noise cancellation using the hearing aid mode. It works for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.