Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LondonJim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
London
Somehow it slipped under my radar but Apple MAPS has a "public transport" routing option.

On asking MAPS for a route if you choose the public transport option, you then get to choose from one of your "Transport Apps" for directions.

Other options available from third parties are also presented to you for upload from the App Store.

Mine is "Journey Pro". Well hello! what a revelation.

Journey Pro has always been a good interrogator of timetables; however the fact that it looks to all the various modes of transport before presenting results can make it appear not the easiest on the market. That’s its strength; so many Apps cheat by giving results for the Tube or buses only. The greatest difficulty with Journey Pro (in London, a severe test of any programme) is entering the specific start and finish locations you want.

However the combination of Apple MAPS and Journey Pro was a revelation.

Using MAPS made it so simple. The two in combination are very impressive.

nickhutson

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
You should try "CityMapper" for London. A truly amazing app!

(I don't work for them - I just love it!)

maricc

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
The public transport option on the Google Maps App was FAR superior...

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I would like to hear the answer to this also. Just wondering.

I've stated it in other threads, but having used both when I travel, I find that the Apple transportation app I have been using in the US (HopStep) is FAR better and way more accurate than the Google version ever was...and such a nice looking app.

Whether I'm walking, looking for a taxi stand or riding the bus/train, it has always been spot on with the information provided.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
The public transport option on the Google Maps App was FAR superior...

It used to be when it was the maps option but now it is worthless if you leave the browser it has to reroute the whole thing. I miss google maps.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Wonder if the lack of public transport routes in the Apple maps app itself is just temporary or permanent...

I'm currently using a local transport routing app from a local developer, and it's called "NextRide", very handy. Gets me from A to B.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
How so? The one less step to get less accurate information than dedicated third party apps? :p

After several months of iOS 6 being out to the public and several more of it being available as a beta, I'm not aware of an App for the UK that works outside of London (for buses at least).

Google has public transport data for many places outside of London.

"Journey Pro" looks good, but it does nothing outside of London.

LondonJim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
London
"Journey Pro" looks good, but it does nothing outside of London.

Wrong! Journey Pro just gave me a route from my home in London to Crieff, Scotland. Howzat!:)

Journey Pro gives routes for the Tube, the DLR, British Rail, Buses, Trams, Ferries and Planes. The reason I use it is because it includes the Tram in South London.

Last edited:

Heb 7:4

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2011
Have to be honest, I've never seen the appeal of the transport option in maps. Not in a city the size of London where there are multiple potential routes, and your preferred one might change depending on time of day or even the weather.

For London I use Travel Deluxe (general TFL style route builder, where you can turn transport options on/off and it gives you multiple route options), UK train times (great for inter-city, and gives you platform numbers), and city mapper (very cool, and has live bus information so you know how long you'll have to wait!) Tube Deluxe used from time to time to check upcoming line closures too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.