Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Apple over the years has taken quite a few ideas from Android. You gotta admit some of them are pretty good.

-Notification Center
-Open apps from lockscreen
-Wireless syncing
-iCloud syncing
-OTA updates
-Tabbed browsing
-Split keyboard
-Facebook & Twitter integration

I've been looking at some Android devices and some of them have really good features that would be good on the iPhone. Hopefully iOS 7 has some of these...

-Widgets (or live icons, tiles, anything more unique than bland icons)
-Expandable, actionable notifications
-Gesture typing
-Multi-Window (better multitasking features)

Last edited:

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Stolen is pretty subjective, and some of those features being claimed as from any source besides Apple is just wrong. iCloud?

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Stolen is pretty subjective, and some of those features being claimed as from any source besides Apple is just wrong. iCloud?

I never said stolen...

Being inspired and copying someone is different than stealing something.

Plus Jobs said ""Picasso had a saying: 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas...I think part of what made the Macintosh great was that the people working on it were musicians, poets, artists, zoologists and historians who also happened to be the best computer scientists in the world."

So even if I did say steal (which isn't accurate at all), its still ok.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I never said stolen...

Being inspired and copying someone is different than stealing something.

Plus Jobs said ""Picasso had a saying: 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas...I think part of what made the Macintosh great was that the people working on it were musicians, poets, artists, zoologists and historians who also happened to be the best computer scientists in the world."

So even if I did say steal (which isn't accurate at all), its still ok.

I meant to type copied. My mistake. I would still say that copied is a strong word in some of your examples.

CK1Czar

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2010
Weren't some of these ideas in the iOS jailbreak community before Android had them?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
If iOS 7 had settings toggles in notification center which everyone wanted so badly, it will really be copying Android. I mean if you put an iPhone and an Android phone beside each other, and you can swipe down from both phones and toggle settings, if that isn't copying, I don't know what is.:confused:

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
If iOS 7 had settings toggles in notification center which everyone wanted so badly, it will really be copying Android. I mean if you put an iPhone and an Android phone beside each other, and you can swipe down from both phones and toggle settings, if that isn't copying, I don't know what is.:confused:

Who cares if iOS gets a few things from Android. People forget that Android also copied a ton of things from iOS (Game Center, Siri, Airplay, etc)

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Who cares if iOS gets a few things from Android. People forget that Android also copied a ton of things from iOS (Game Center, Siri, Airplay, etc)

That may be so, but the folks over at Mountain View may not be impressed. Isn't this kind of stuff patented or something? The last thing we need is another saga of lawsuits over minor stuff like this which a company could've avoided.

Not sure anyway. Just my 2 cents.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Possibly but that's not the point.

What ideas from Android should Apple take a look at for iOS?

Why does it seem from your post that you think only Android has good ideas to be had?

The vast majority of this was available from the jailbreak community before Android ever had it. So whom is leading who?

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Why does it seem from your post that you think only Android has good ideas to be had?

The vast majority of this was available from the jailbreak community before Android ever had it. So whom is leading who?

I think I mentioned this in previous post...

"People forget that Android also copied a ton of things from iOS (Game Center, Siri, Airplay, etc)"

You either have to literally blind or won't accept that Android has some pretty good ideas right now.

Some of these would really benefit iOS. Just asking which ones might be implemented well to iOS.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Apple over the years has taken quite a few ideas from Android. You gotta admit some of them are pretty good.

-Notification Center
-Open apps from lockscreen
-Wireless syncing
-iCloud syncing
-OTA updates
-Tabbed browsing
-Split keyboard
-Facebook & Twitter integration

What? Notification Center, obviously, but everything else no...

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
What? Notification Center, obviously, but everything else no...

Are you saying that Apple didn't look at what Android had and implemented a few of there ideas?

What's wrong with Apple copying some of Android's ideas?

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
They should get rid of the home button and welcome on screen buttons :) back,home,task switcher nuff said; best thing i love of my nexus 4.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Are you saying that Apple didn't look at what Android had and implemented a few of there ideas?

What's wrong with Apple copying some of Android's ideas?

Nothing's wrong with copying, I just don't see the connection with your examples.

Axious

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
Somewhere in the world
I have to agree with the OP. Apple got the inspiration from some of android featues. What they really need is the predictive text above the keyboard like android has

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Just 2 things for me:

- toggle settings from the task bar (wifi, Bluetooth, etc.)
- an app/ task killer (I hate having to kill apps one by one)

If Apple did this, I'd be very happy:D

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Nothing's wrong with copying, I just don't see the connection with your examples.

I'm not saying that Android invented everything like Facebook integration or wireless syncing.

Its just that compared to Apple, they were first. Over the years Apple has added features that Android had.

Now Android has some new features, just wondering any ideas Apple should look out for.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah because keeping a button that breaks its a nice idea.....

Idk, you can argue it both ways really. I personally don't like it, but I'm not sure I would really dig on screen buttons either. And the 4 had problems with slowly unresponsive home buttons, not sure if any other models have.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Idk, you can argue it both ways really. I personally don't like it, but I'm not sure I would really dig on screen buttons either. And the 4 had problems with slowly unresponsive home buttons, not sure if any other models have.

While none of the home buttons on the iphones i had broke it is common plus you can bet the only trouble onscreen will have is if you break the touch.

Having 3 main options its really a joy, specially one just for app switcher :) i really hate the double tap wich imo is the culprit with unresponsive buttons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.