Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
They are. Linus Torvalds predicts they'll be going the way of the tape drive shortly.

Whether that's accurate or not, who cares what he says, Linus Torvalds is a complete idiot. He's like Steve Jobs if Jobs was constantly wrong. Linus even staunchly advocates monolithic kernel architectures even to this day.. ridiculous

If you want to find one person's tech opinions that don't matter, it's going to be his

And I don't think it's accurate at all, HDDs will be around for quite a while. If you want to find something going the way of the tape drive, it's optical discs

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Did a 25 GB file transfer yesterday on what I presume was USB2 and it took 7 hours.

Something is wrong with your USB drive.

A USB 2.0 hard drive should be able to transfer at 20 - 30MB/s... 25GB should only take ~30 minutes.

Were you transferring a lot of small files? If so, Thunderbolt won't help since random I/O is a bottleneck for mechanical drives.

Maybe one of the two ends or the hub was USB1.
That sounds likely.

Performance comparison: Transfer of 25GB HD movie:

USB 1.1: 9.3 hours

USB 2.0: 13.9 minutes

USB 3.0: 70 seconds

source

I routinely transfer that amount of data (36MP RAW + JPG images). If it took hours I would have given up long ago. I've since updated my card reader to USB 3.0 and love it.

mawyatt

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
Does anyone know if the new LaCie Thunderbolt HD has dual drives to support RAID 0 and 1?

Thanks,

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
The new LaCie d2 drive with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 is a single 7200 RPM drive; either 3TB or 4TB capacity.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I don't 'get' external enclosed DT drives, isn't it better to just put 'internal' drives into a docking station? No fan noise, no heat issues, and easy to use different drives, slow quiet ones for back up, faster ones for other stuff. And if the dock goes belly up just get a new one and you're good to go none of this wondering if it's the enclosure or the drive

I'll never go back.

mawyatt

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
There is a different LaCie product that is exactly what you're looking for.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H...underbolt-series-raid-hard-drive?fnode=5f&p=1

I have one.

Thanks. I now have 2 of the LaCie 2Big 4T Thunderbolt drives. I got the first one a couple months ago as a refurb from MacMall, was so delighted with it I tried to order another but they were out of the refurbs and didn't know if they would get anymore. I didn't want to spend $600 for a new drive, the refurbs are $300, so started looking at other options.

Now MacMall has the refurbs back in stock and I ordered another. I checked the internal drives they all are Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm with 2/2012 date codes. These are very fast drives in RAID 0 configuration.

Acamerainjapan

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
I don't 'get' external enclosed DT drives, isn't it better to just put 'internal' drives into a docking station? No fan noise, no heat issues, and easy to use different drives, slow quiet ones for back up, faster ones for other stuff. And if the dock goes belly up just get a new one and you're good to go none of this wondering if it's the enclosure or the drive

I'll never go back.

This.

For anyone that moves a lot of files ( I do video), this is the way to go.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
This.

For anyone that moves a lot of files ( I do video), this is the way to go.

Why would a drive in a d2 be faster than a drive in a thunderbolt dock? Like the seagate dock, which would not be cheaper with the added HDD but it would be more versatile and it has two TB ports as well.

edit added link to video.

Last edited:

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, flash memory will overtake hard drives. Here's why: flash memory roughly follows Moore's Law. Disk drives don't. So while disk density is increasing, flash density is increasing *much* faster. Follow the math, and you will realize that at some point within ten years, flash will be cheaper, larger, and faster than spinning rust.

You, sir, are a moron.

barokt

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Lacie d2 Thunderbolt uses which brand HD inside WD or Seagate i really wondering that i couldn't find any source who knows that kind of information.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Lacie d2 Thunderbolt uses which brand HD inside WD or Seagate i really wondering that i couldn't find any source who knows that kind of information.

As LaCie is almost owned entirely by Seagate, you will likely find a Seagate 3.5" drive inside. Before the acquisition by Seagate, LaCie used Hitachi and Seagate mostly, and stopped using WD drives quite some time ago.

The current d2 uses Seagate 7200 RPM drives. At least in the one I have here. The specs also call out 7200 RPM drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.