Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:20 PM   #176
VulchR
macrumors 68000
 
VulchR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Scotland
I am appalled that some people posting here seem to be quite harsh on the nurse who apparently committed suicide. She wasn't the victim of a harmless prank. It was fraud, (actually it would have been treason in the UK) and the people who committed the fraud mocked their victims mercilessly and it went viral. Perhaps the hospital did not formally discipline the nurse, but I can imagine that she might have been bullied and perhaps even told she would be subject to a future disciplinary hearing. Even if one views the impact the 'prank' as minor, perhaps the person was already experiencing problems and this was the last straw. That just makes this suicide - if that is what it was - all the more senseless and unnecessary.

Some of the callous posts in this thread are contemptible.
__________________
My first was a Mac+. Now I own an iPhone with 3.5x the pixels, a colour display, WiFi, 512x the RAM, >1500x the data storage, and 100x the speed. And it fits in the palm of my hand.
VulchR is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:23 PM   #177
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
I am appalled that some people posting here seem to be quite harsh on the nurse who apparently committed suicide. She wasn't the victim of a harmless prank. It was fraud, (actually it would have been treason in the UK) and the people who committed the fraud mocked their victims mercilessly and it went viral. Perhaps the hospital did not formally discipline the nurse, but I can imagine that she might have been bullied and perhaps even told she would be subject to a future disciplinary hearing. Even if one views the impact the 'prank' as minor, perhaps the person was already experiencing problems and this was the last straw. That just makes this suicide - if that is what it was - all the more senseless and unnecessary.

Some of the callous posts in this thread are contemptible.
You do know the nurse didn't kill herself it was the receptionist.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:24 PM   #178
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
I am appalled that some people posting here seem to be quite harsh on the nurse who apparently committed suicide. She wasn't the victim of a harmless prank. It was fraud, (actually it would have been treason in the UK) and the people who committed the fraud mocked their victims mercilessly and it went viral.
It was a harmless prank until the receptionist unfortunately kill herself. It wasn't even close to fraud because of the ridiculousness of the idea that you could call a hospital, pretend to be the QUEEN OF ENGLAND and have 0 verification and actually get through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
Perhaps the hospital did not formally discipline the nurse, but I can imagine that she might have been bullied and perhaps even told she would be subject to a future disciplinary hearing. Even if one views the impact the 'prank' as minor, perhaps the person was already experiencing problems and this was the last straw. That just makes this suicide - if that is what it was - all the more senseless and unnecessary.
Well, she failed in her duties. She rightly should have been disciplined. And if she was dealing with mental issues, that's unfortunate, but it's not as if the DJs targeted nurses with issues. They just called and pretended to be the Queen of England. If somebody calls you and gets one over you in that manner, sorry, you were had.
eric/ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:57 PM   #179
VulchR
macrumors 68000
 
VulchR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
You do know the nurse didn't kill herself it was the receptionist.
You do know it was a nurse who killed herself, not a receptionist. There was no receptionist on duty since the call came at very early in the morning UK time. However, the nurse who killed herself did take the call and forward it to a second nurse on the ward, who then divulged the information to the fraudulent callers. In any case, nurse or receptionist, this appears to be a needless tragedy brought on by 'entertainers' who could have declared themselves at before any patient's rights were violated (before the second nurse divulged details). The fact that they didn't shows their lack of judgment, character and compassion. And all in the name of profit. They might not have meant to cause this tragedy, but it appears they set a chain of events in motion that has resulted in a loss of a medical caregiver, wife and mother. Shame on them.
__________________
My first was a Mac+. Now I own an iPhone with 3.5x the pixels, a colour display, WiFi, 512x the RAM, >1500x the data storage, and 100x the speed. And it fits in the palm of my hand.
VulchR is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:23 PM   #180
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
You do know the nurse didn't kill herself it was the receptionist.
You do know you should actually verify your facts are true before you post in a manner that implies they are true.

Like VulchR said below me, it wasn't a receptionist, it was another nurse who was answering the phone at the reception desk because it was 5:30am and the normal day staff wasn't in for the day yet.

And yes, she wasn't the nurse who directly told the scumbag the confidential medical information, but she was the one who transferred the call and most likely told the other nurse who (she thought) was calling. She had as much fault in this as the other nurse did, and obviously something happened that caused her to think this was her only choice left. It's very sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
You do know it was a nurse who killed herself, not a receptionist. There was no receptionist on duty since the call came at very early in the morning UK time. However, the nurse who killed herself did take the call and forward it to a second nurse on the ward, who then divulged the information to the fraudulent callers. In any case, nurse or receptionist, this appears to be a needless tragedy brought on by 'entertainers' who could have declared themselves at before any patient's rights were violated (before the second nurse divulged details). The fact that they didn't shows their lack of judgment, character and compassion. And all in the name of profit. They might not have meant to cause this tragedy, but it appears they set a chain of events in motion that has resulted in a loss of a medical caregiver, wife and mother. Shame on them.
This post is pretty spot on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Not any worse than calling out the humor in the DJs being on suicide watch.

If you find one to be worse than the other, I think you've got some issues.

The point of the post is to highlight the hypocrisy, and vindictive nature of those who are upset about a prank gone wrong.

That is the best way to illustrate how one group thinks that these DJs somehow deserve anything more than losing their jobs and having to deal with the fact that this health care worker may have killed herself over embarrassment. Call for more blood is never the answer.
I actually agree with the part in bold. They deserve to lose their jobs because it was immature and extremely responsible. You never want to see somebody on suicide watch though, even after something like this.

That said, you easily prove your point in another way without saying "the funniest part is the nurse killed herself". That's disgusting.
zioxide is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:26 PM   #181
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
You do know you should actually verify your facts are true before you post in a manner that implies they are true.
The facts in this thread have shifted about 5 times already.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:29 PM   #182
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
The facts in this thread have shifted about 5 times already.
No, the facts haven't changed at all. A bunch of ill-informed people posting inaccurate facts doesn't mean the facts have changed, it just means that people don't know what they're talking about. That's why you should be getting your facts from an actual reputable source and not the random experts in the Macrumors PRSI.
zioxide is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:33 PM   #183
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
No, the facts haven't changed at all. A bunch of ill-informed people posting inaccurate facts doesn't mean the facts have changed, it just means that people don't know what they're talking about. That's why you should be getting your facts from an actual reputable source and not the random experts in the Macrumors PRSI.
I comment on what is posted here and if those facts are not true **** it. I don't care to hunt down 500 gossip sites to find the answers.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:52 PM   #184
iJohnHenry
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On tenterhooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
I take it you never liked Candid Camera?
Oh?

I guess I missed that part of the story where the two nurses involved signed releases before it was broadcast.
iJohnHenry is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:49 PM   #185
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post

I actually agree with the part in bold. They deserve to lose their jobs because it was immature and extremely responsible. You never want to see somebody on suicide watch though, even after something like this.

That said, you easily prove your point in another way without saying "the funniest part is the nurse killed herself". That's disgusting.
Sometimes you really need to get people's attention to illustrate a point. I hope that my intentions are understood.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:58 PM   #186
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
Oh?

I guess I missed that part of the story where the two nurses involved signed releases before it was broadcast.
Not sure what the release laws are but this is something that could be sued.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:27 PM   #187
iJohnHenry
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On tenterhooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Not sure what the release laws are but this is something that could be sued.
Here, if someone calls you, you can record them with impunity.

If you call them, however, you have to ask them it you may record the conversation.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:33 PM   #188
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Here in NY, radio pranks are 100 times more harsh than what those DJs did. It's actually hard for me to understand that it was a prank, that's how lame it was.

Feel sorry for those who feel they have to kill themselves, but no blame should be put on the DJs in this situation. That's like saying all pranks and/or jokes should be ban due to overly sensitive or depressed people.
LIVEFRMNYC is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:55 PM   #189
Sydde
macrumors 68000
 
Sydde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
According to this story, prince Bill is in a bit of a snit over the prank, but his dad seemed to be more sanguine. When faced with reporters' questions about Miss Kate's pregnancy, he responded, "How do you know I'm not a radio station?"
__________________
You got to be a spirit. You can't be no ghost.
Sydde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:35 PM   #190
Arran
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
...prince Bill is in a bit of a snit over the prank...
I think any husband would be, considering that his pregnant wife was admitted to hospital with complications and two juvenile airheads decide to waste the time of the hospital staff who are caring for his wife and unborn child.

Prank calls to a pizza takeaway or a Starbucks are one thing, but prank calling a hospital is like making a fake 911 call.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
The funniest part is the idiot nurse/receptionist who fell for the trick then was so embarrassed that she killed herself.
Not cool.
__________________
When the world zigs, zag
Arran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:21 AM   #191
Happybunny
macrumors 68000
 
Happybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 's-Hertogenbosch Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
Here in NY, radio pranks are 100 times more harsh than what those DJs did. It's actually hard for me to understand that it was a prank, that's how lame it was.
That is quite true, but there again you are from a country that thinks 'Here comes Honey Boo Boo' is entrainment.
__________________
'You cannot undo history, but you can learn from it'
Happybunny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:31 AM   #192
Eraserhead
macrumors G4
 
Eraserhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
Here in NY, radio pranks are 100 times more harsh than what those DJs did.
Out of curiosity do you have an example?
__________________
Actually it does make sense. Man created god, so if we exist, He exists. - obeygiant
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:59 AM   #193
fox10078
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
In an interview for Channel Nine's A Current Affair programme Mr Christian told presenter Tracy Grimshaw: "When we thought about making a call it was going to go for 30 seconds we were going to be hung up on, and that was it. As innocent as that.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20662352

Sad state of affairs all around. I truly don't have sympathy for suicides, if it turns out as suicide.


I have been in the spot, literally one step from killing myself, I didn't, because of all the people I would hurt.

I weep for the victims of this woman's selfishness, if it turns out as suicide.

I'm surprised no one has brought up how selfish suicide is... especially if you are a mother, I hope her death isn't to be found after the autopsy as a suicide, nothing at all as a parent should want you to be away from your children.
__________________
Vortex 8: Super Hackintosh Vortex 4: Render pal for Vortex 8, Also Hackintosh. Galaxy Nexus. iPad 2, My always trusty Macbook(Late 2006). Mac Pro 3,1(RIP) iPhone 4S(RIP)

Last edited by fox10078; Dec 10, 2012 at 03:06 AM.
fox10078 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:09 AM   #194
avro707
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
Here in NY, radio pranks are 100 times more harsh than what those DJs did. It's actually hard for me to understand that it was a prank, that's how lame it was.

Feel sorry for those who feel they have to kill themselves, but no blame should be put on the DJs in this situation. That's like saying all pranks and/or jokes should be ban due to overly sensitive or depressed people.
This radio station has prior form in this matter. I don't wish to elaborate on the sordid actions of their morning program, but it's well known.

It's time for them to stop with these prank calls and other nonsense gags. I think we've had more than enough of it for now.

Sadly, someone died as a result of this and also on face value, these two radio hosts (unless the tears are an act) will be forever scarred by it.

A good old investigation to lift the lid on who did what and why would clear this up well. If the talk is true, then the radio station knew that this was quite dodgy to start with because it was reportedly checked with legal people before anything went to air. That says it all really.
__________________
Website
Mac Pro 5,1 | iMac | iPhone 5 64gb | Nikon D800e | Nikon D3s
avro707 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:21 AM   #195
Eraserhead
macrumors G4
 
Eraserhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by avro707 View Post
If the talk is true, then the radio station knew that this was quite dodgy to start with because it was reportedly checked with legal people before anything went to air.
But it was also cleared by those legal people.
__________________
Actually it does make sense. Man created god, so if we exist, He exists. - obeygiant
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:34 AM   #196
avro707
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
But it was also cleared by those legal people.
If it was so harmless, then the legal eagles wouldn't have needed to check it.

The point is, the radio station has prior form on these matters. It's time for the radio station to face the music. The station is a shell of its former self and it's time for it to clean up its act. I used to listen to that station years ago when it had decent presenters who were funny and relevant.
__________________
Website
Mac Pro 5,1 | iMac | iPhone 5 64gb | Nikon D800e | Nikon D3s
avro707 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:20 AM   #197
VulchR
macrumors 68000
 
VulchR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox10078 View Post
....
I weep for the victims of this woman's selfishness, if it turns out as suicide.
I'm surprised no one has brought up how selfish suicide is... especially if you are a mother, I hope her death isn't to be found after the autopsy as a suicide, nothing at all as a parent should want you to be away from your children.
People commit suicide because they feel inescapable but unbearable pain. A natural response to pain is to try to avoid it. I would like to think we all feel acutely how much this is going to affect the nurse's family and friends, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't also feel for what the nurse endured before she died. In any case, like you I hope this wasn't suicide, but I am also concerned that the stress of all this could have caused Ms. Saldanha to have a fatal heart attack or stroke.

I suppose all of this has left me wondering if they are people I pass in the street who are also teetering on the edge, particularly the way the economy is now. I used to volunteer on a crisis hotline - perhaps it's time to go back to that.

@MacNut: I get what you mean about the confusion about what was posted here, so I apologize if I sounded snippy. It's just in the UK this is a big story in part because somebody involved in a caring profession appears to have been driven to suicide. It shouldn't matter – a human being is a human being – but the fact it was a professional dedicated to serving others seems to make this all the more poignant.
__________________
My first was a Mac+. Now I own an iPhone with 3.5x the pixels, a colour display, WiFi, 512x the RAM, >1500x the data storage, and 100x the speed. And it fits in the palm of my hand.
VulchR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:42 AM   #198
m00min
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
It's a sad situation all round, I don't think you can lay 100% of the blame at the DJs. The second nurse shouldn't have talked on the phone, the station's legal dept. shouldn't have let it air, and yes, the DJs should maybe have considered the possible fallout from socially engineering medical information. They all played their part.

Yes, the DJs did a stupid thing but hands up who never did a stupid thing? Most of the time your momentary stupidity goes by without any lasting consequences. It's not like they set out to bully someone into taking their own life.
__________________
Obligatory dick waving: 2012 i7/8GB/256SSD MBA; 2010 i7/8GB/256SSD MBP; 2006 Mac Mini; iPhone 4S; iPad 3
m00min is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:06 AM   #199
decafjava
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Geneva
Am I the only one thinking it strange to think the Queen would have to call the hospital and get put through to Kate's room? You don't think William and Kate have there own cell phones with secret numbers? You don't think the Royal family would know the direct number to the room and nurse tending Kate or made other arrangements?
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:14 AM   #200
m00min
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafjava View Post
Am I the only one thinking it strange to think the Queen would have to call the hospital and get put through to Kate's room? You don't think William and Kate have there own cell phones with secret numbers? You don't think the Royal family would know the direct number to the room and nurse tending Kate or made other arrangements?
Nope, I would think they have some system very much like that. Possibly this wasn't information given to the nursing staff, it wouldn't be the first time key info was not included in a staff handover. The imagine the hospital is urgently looking at their data protection process right now.
__________________
Obligatory dick waving: 2012 i7/8GB/256SSD MBA; 2010 i7/8GB/256SSD MBP; 2006 Mac Mini; iPhone 4S; iPad 3
m00min is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GLEE star Cory Monteith found dead in Canada sundog925 Current Events 4 Jul 16, 2013 04:13 PM
Found one dead pixel in my rMBP TC400 MacBook Pro 5 Apr 14, 2013 01:33 PM
Serbian PM gets pranked niuniu Community Discussion 9 Feb 2, 2013 01:10 AM
Just found a dead pixel on my iPhone 5 dave8209 iPhone 22 Oct 15, 2012 05:05 PM
Found a fix for my dead SuperDrive! Jessica Lares PowerPC Macs 1 Jul 29, 2012 07:14 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC