Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirCarrington

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2012
Newfoundland
Noob question:

Can I boot my PPC Mini in target disk mode and use it as a DVD burner for my 2011 MacMini?

I don't have a lot of experience with PPC's interfacing with Intel's but to me it seems that this would be normal. I want to know if I will run into any snags before I "borrow" the firewire cable from work.

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
If they are on the same network and you share the DVD drive on the Mini, you should be able to do this without needing target disk mode or a firewire connector.

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
Noob question:

Can I boot my PPC Mini in target disk mode and use it as a DVD burner for my 2011 MacMini?

I don't have a lot of experience with PPC's interfacing with Intel's but to me it seems that this would be normal. I want to know if I will run into any snags before I "borrow" the firewire cable from work.

Other suggestion: Why not sell your PowerPC Mini and use the proceeds for the aluminum USB burner? Just a thought.

SirCarrington

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2012
Newfoundland
Other suggestion: Why not sell your PowerPC Mini and use the proceeds for the aluminum USB burner? Just a thought.

I've considered selling it and decided that it's better to hang onto the old Mini, just in case I need a spare small form factor Mac at some point. I already have an external USB burner but it's big and ugly.

I'm trying to find a good use for it. It's down to either a burner or a DVD player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.