Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:32 PM   #101
macs4nw
macrumors 68020
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkadamsjr View Post
Ive is staring me into submission. I almost feel obligated to go buy an Apple product now.
A hilarious take, I must admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
No question about it and frankly does it not make you feel better as a stock holder to have the belief that the company is on the right path for more success. Both on a PR front and a management front this is a very good move. You want senior leaders to collaborate as a team and NOT some dictatorship with the head guy just pushing folks buttons on his beliefs. Not one of these 4 guys at the leadership can do all 4 jobs effectively. So collaboration as a team with the same goals in mind are what it takes to succeed.....Frankly pretty damn smart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgrove View Post
Unusual to hear an Apple CEO be this open about internal company affairs and people being forced to leave the company. But I assume it's to give that extra nudge to Apple stock. Apple usually doesn't comment on these kind of matters if it doesn't help them. But if there's one thing the stock market dislikes, it's uncertainty surrounding major moves within a company. I don't doubt that some of the recent stock tumbles are effects of questions being raised in the wake of the recent shakeup. A bit like "Oh, wow... OK. So now what will happen?" So while I may be biased here, I do think this interview is a smart move by Cook, and probably calculated.
Right on the money!
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:07 PM   #102
osaga
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetson View Post
People speculate on why the Apple stock prices drop.

There are many reasons other than the idea that "uncertainty" about management shakeups is causing people to panic and sell.

More likely people sell Apple stock because it's at the top of it's likely near term valuation - profit taking. Also with federal taxes such as capital gains surely increasing people want to take profits before those new rates kick in. Several Apple executives have recently sold $millions worth of Apple stock. Are they panicking?

I seriously doubt that investors are concerned with who got hired or fired.
There is no reason at all! This is why short term investing is impossible. Price fluctuations are like flocks of birds, with hedge funds at the lead.

"Apple stock is significantly more volatile than its earnings and innovation stream," said Daniel Ernst, analyst with Hudson Square Research. "And yet the wind blows slightly from the south instead of the east one particular morning and the stock is down 6 percent."

"It makes no sense. There are lines around the block for their products all around the world," he added.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8B40VK20121205

I think they should impose a random 5-20 min delay on all trades.
osaga is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:17 PM   #103
fpsBeaTt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris7 View Post
Ive looks none too happy.
He looks intense, filled with purpose.
__________________
15" RMBP 2.6GHz16GB; 11" MBA; iPad Mini R;Gold iPhone 5S; 27" Thunderbolt Display; PC: 4GHz i7, 3GB 7970, 6GB triple channel RAM, Lian Li A71F case, Logitech G700 mouse, Apple Wireless Keyboard.
fpsBeaTt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:30 PM   #104
MikeyDbear
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Mansield cheap shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroll32 View Post
Looks like Bob Mansfield is the odd one out now.

Has he not discovered Apple's gym?
Gee, that's a cheap shot. Is Schiller exactly skinny? Any other Apple employees you want to poke fun at for stupid reasons?

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

So mind your manners.
MikeyDbear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:41 PM   #105
MacDav
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickCocoa View Post
Ivy looks deep into my soul, finds me wanting, and fills me with a sense of underachievement and foreboding. He knows, he knows, and he understands. He sees the rough edges of my life and dreams, the unconnected items, the wrongly-patterned desires and hopes. And he explodes them. The only way to fill the aching emptyness he rips open? Buy the new iMac 27" with friction-stir welding!
Nice
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:04 PM   #106
MacDav
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
Ain't going to happen. The pundits who predicted this took a lot of people along for the proverbial ride. At least you bought in cheap...
Yeah, there are a lot of theories out in the wild about the future of Apple. Nobody know's the future, and so nobody took anybody for a ride, especially if they bought in at $85 per share. People need to take responsibility for their decisions and not blame others for the choices they make. The choice you made in selecting your name for this forum speaks volumes about your own motives. You will ultimately reap what you sow. So enjoy spewing your poison while you can. To me you are laughable.
MacDav is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:33 AM   #107
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
Yeah, there are a lot of theories out in the wild about the future of Apple. Nobody know's the future, and so nobody took anybody for a ride, especially if they bought in at $85 per share. People need to take responsibility for their decisions and not blame others for the choices they make. The choice you made in selecting your name for this forum speaks volumes about your own motives. You will ultimately reap what you sow. So enjoy spewing your poison while you can. To me you are laughable.
Very well stated. I could not have said it better myself, and you will have to take my word on that.
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:28 AM   #108
MacDav
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
Very well stated. I could not have said it better myself, and you will have to take my word on that.
Thanks, I'm sure you are a man of your word. So am I.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:05 AM   #109
olowott
macrumors 6502a
 
olowott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dundee, UK
Send a message via MSN to olowott
so happy they are not making both OSX and iOS the same

so happy
__________________
iPhone 5s 32gb SpaceGrey -- 2011 13" Macbook pr-- iPhone 4s 16gb -- iPAD 2 32gb
olowott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:10 AM   #110
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
Yeah, there are a lot of theories out in the wild about the future of Apple. Nobody know's the future, and so nobody took anybody for a ride, especially if they bought in at $85 per share. People need to take responsibility for their decisions and not blame others for the choices they make. The choice you made in selecting your name for this forum speaks volumes about your own motives. You will ultimately reap what you sow. So enjoy spewing your poison while you can. To me you are laughable.
Say what you want, I for once didn't bite when the stock was at ~700 about it going to $1000 as few pundits were enthusiastically claiming. And yes, they did take a few people along for a ride with their predictions and anal-ysis.
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:34 AM   #111
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainKing View Post
I'm not against moving forward, I just believe in having different devices for different purposes. If OS X became a touch screen OS it would be lose a lot of functionality.
I don’t want OSX to be a touch screen OS. I want iOS to have a file system and maybe themes. OSX is great the way it is.
__________________
2011 MacBook Pro iPod touch 2G iFone 5! iPad 2 ATV 2G
ncaissie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:53 AM   #112
Patriot24
macrumors 68020
 
Patriot24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Theory: Mansfield came back to work on wireless charging.

Cook continues to refer to Mansfield's area as "Silicone and Wireless". Do we really think he came out of retirement and is rededicating his life to screw around with chips and wireless radios?
Patriot24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:22 AM   #113
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
It's all good as long as "increased collaboration" still means opposing views are encouraged.

Steve Jobs was known for making decisions on topics he didn't understand, based greatly on how hard someone or their group argued their position. In other words, the squeaky wheel often got the grease, as the saying goes.

Seems to have worked out pretty well.
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:26 AM   #114
everything-i
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
Yeah because the Maps experience is just fantastic.
Yeah because the iOS App store experience is just fantastic.
Yeah because sorting app reviews to read some of the more honest negative reviews experience is just fantastic.
Yeah cos they fired the guy responsible for those Hence the management shake up.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:02 PM   #115
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
Say what you want, I for once didn't bite when the stock was at ~700 about it going to $1000 as few pundits were enthusiastically claiming. And yes, they did take a few people along for a ride with their predictions and anal-ysis.
And you claim to know what will happen next. Must be nice. Can I borrow that crystal ball when you are done with it?
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:08 PM   #116
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
And you claim to know what will happen next. Must be nice. Can I borrow that crystal ball when you are done with it?
It doesn't take a crystal ball buddy to know apple won't hit $1000 any time soon, as it didn't take a crystal ball to assume people were taking other people along for the proverbial ride when they were touting $1000 apple stock prices a few months ago. It's called an informed opinion based on how well attuned one is to the market in question. Of course it's not 100% probability, but then pretty much nothing is in this life.
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:45 AM   #117
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
It doesn't take a crystal ball buddy to know apple won't hit $1000 any time soon, as it didn't take a crystal ball to assume people were taking other people along for the proverbial ride when they were touting $1000 apple stock prices a few months ago. It's called an informed opinion based on how well attuned one is to the market in question. Of course it's not 100% probability, but then pretty much nothing is in this life.
Okay buddy, but from long, hard experience as an investor (including 15+ years in AAPL) I've learned to not make predictions one way or another. This so-called "touting" is in fact what the stock analysts do for their livings. They are professional guesstimators. You don't have to like it, anymore than you have to like trees, grass, or the sky.

For many, many years few analysts even followed AAPL and fewer yet knew anything about the company. Consequently Apple flew under the radar and performed much better than nearly any analyst predicted. Today the company is followed by nearly every financial company on the planet (insert shock and surprise here: _____). The result is many voices saying many different things, with none of them holding the keys to the financial kingdom, as many are erroneously convinced that they do.

The obsessive-compulsive disorder that so many have in reaction to analysts forecasts is the unhealthy thing going on here. A wise investor tunes out the noise and looks for the signal.
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:43 PM   #118
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
Okay buddy, but from long, hard experience as an investor (including 15+ years in AAPL) I've learned to not make predictions one way or another. This so-called "touting" is in fact what the stock analysts do for their livings. They are professional guesstimators. You don't have to like it, anymore than you have to like trees, grass, or the sky.

For many, many years few analysts even followed AAPL and fewer yet knew anything about the company. Consequently Apple flew under the radar and performed much better than nearly any analyst predicted. Today the company is followed by nearly every financial company on the planet (insert shock and surprise here: _____). The result is many voices saying many different things, with none of them holding the keys to the financial kingdom, as many are erroneously convinced that they do.

The obsessive-compulsive disorder that so many have in reaction to analysts forecasts is the unhealthy thing going on here. A wise investor tunes out the noise and looks for the signal.
Fair points, I don't disagree with any of them.
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:30 PM   #119
terraphantm
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetson View Post
Well you took entirely the wrong meaning from what I said, which is to be expected I suppose on this sort of touchy topic.

Historically in this country (and elsewhere I imagine) race and gender were VERY MUCH a part of that discussion in terms of hiring, firing and promotion decisions and it is still a living legacy. If you deny that, then you aren't facing reality or never had to face it.
Indeed they were - but two wrongs don't make a right. It's unfortunate that minorities and women were denied opportunities in the past, but that doesn't mean one should pick someone who belongs to a minority and/or is a woman over a white male only because of their race and gender. It should be based purely on their qualifications. So if you have a latino woman who happens to be one of the best in her field, by all means she should be hired. But if she's less skilled than another applicant who happens to be a white male, then she shouldn't be hired.

Of course this doesn't just apply to companies' hiring practices. Take medical school admissions for example: Based on published statistics from the past few admissions cycles, an African American woman with a 3.2 GPA and 28MCAT is more likely to get accepted into medical schools than an Asian American (male or female) with a 3.6GPA and 32MCAT... All in the name of diversity. I don't think that can be justified.

And for the record I'm not white, though I am male.
terraphantm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:36 PM   #120
oliversl
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
What I can not understand is that even if Tim has given Scott a warning or an ultimatum, that Scott did not change and got fire.

Another point is that I have hear 2 versions: Tim fired Scott and Scott resigned. I think he was fired.

The last point is that Scott was the father os iOS, he was "in" from the NeXT years, how could Tim not make it work? I think this is the only that matters to me, how could Tim don't make it work.
__________________
My email after a captcha in: http://tinymailto.com/oliversl
oliversl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:38 PM   #121
krravi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversl View Post
What I can not understand is that even if Tim has given Scott a warning or an ultimatum, that Scott did not change and got fire.

Another point is that I have hear 2 versions: Tim fired Scott and Scott resigned. I think he was fired.

The last point is that Scott was the father os iOS, he was "in" from the NeXT years, how could Tim not make it work? I think this is the only that matters to me, how could Tim don't make it work.
Given the credentials of Scott as you mentioned, guess is, he got way over his shoulders and felt that he can't be touched. Tim had to bring him to the ground to face reality.
__________________
Lots of Apple,Sony and other gadgets.
krravi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:45 PM   #122
Cubytus
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Train/subway/walking not integrated

Not complete data. Yelp?! Seriously
They're not properly integrated in Google Maps either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Hey, at least he's a happy guy, leave him alone! On a serious note, with his vast experience, his departure would mean a significant loss to APPLE.
If overweight-related illnesses kill him prematurely, this would also be a significant loss for Apple. This is not fun to make fun of his weight, but there's a right to feel concerned about his health. Oh well, Apple must still have a failover plan as it had when Jobs passed away.
__________________
Ubuntu and Mac OS X user means sacrilege both to Mac and GNU/Linux communities.
Stop ranting, give feedback: http://www.apple.com/feedback
Online, my trilingual blog
Cubytus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:41 PM   #123
Radio
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubytus View Post
They're not properly integrated in Google Maps either.

If overweight-related illnesses kill him prematurely, this would also be a significant loss for Apple. This is not fun to make fun of his weight, but there's a right to feel concerned about his health. Oh well, Apple must still have a failover plan as it had when Jobs passed away.
Ok thx
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:55 PM   #124
oliversl
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Interesting point, like it. I hope someday Scott could talk about all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
Given the credentials of Scott as you mentioned, guess is, he got way over his shoulders and felt that he can't be touched. Tim had to bring him to the ground to face reality.
__________________
My email after a captcha in: http://tinymailto.com/oliversl
oliversl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tim Cook goft20 Wasteland 0 Apr 23, 2014 05:20 PM
Excerpt From New Book Offers Look at Tim Cook's Management Style MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 167 Mar 11, 2014 12:05 AM
Tim Cook 'Extremely Proud' of Ongoing Collaboration At Apple, Will Host Employee Meeting Tomorrow MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 124 Oct 30, 2013 01:21 PM
Tim Cook Joins Board of Advisors at Tsinghua University's School of Economics and Management MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 21 Oct 22, 2013 12:43 PM
To Tim Cook OGmaC Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 10 Dec 19, 2012 10:00 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC