Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macpro.jpg
During his interview with Brian Williams, Tim Cook revealed that Apple is planning on bringing some of its Mac production back to the United States. Cook did not reveal which of the Mac lines would be part of the $100 million investment, but speculation has named the Mac Pro as the likely suspect.

Fortune has rounded up all of the current thoughts on why the Mac Pro is the only viable candidate:
-A $100 million factory, Dan Luria, a labor economist at Michigan Manufacturing Technology Center told Bloomberg, employs about 200 people and produces about 1 million units per year

-Last year, Apple sold 18 million Macs, including 13.5 million MacBooks and 4.6 million desktops (iMacs, minis and Mac Pros). Only the Mac Pro and mini sell fewer than 1 million per year, and the Mac Pro is considerably heavier and more expensive to ship

-Apple, through a spokesperson and through Tim Cook himself, has already indicated that it will be producing a new Mac Pro in 2013

-Any extra labor costs associated with manufacturing in the U.S. can be more easily absorbed by a $2,500-$3,800 Mac Pro than by a MacBook or an iMac that sell for $1,000 to $1,300.

-Mac Pros are easier to build and customize than any other Apple product
Earlier this year, after a minor update to the Mac Pro was announced at WWDC, Tim Cook confirmed to a fan that new Mac Pros were coming in 2013, which was later reiterated by an Apple spokesman. The 2013 Mac Pro could be the first to carry the "Made in the USA" label, if current speculation is correct.

Article Link: Speculation Targets Mac Pro as First "Made in USA" Mac Product

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Think it'll have no optical drive, proprietary SSD, a mobile CPU, and soldered in RAM?

funman895

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
We can only hope the mac pro is updated soon; I built a hackintosh since a new iMac just won't float my boat and the current mac pro is too slow. Let's hope others can benefit from a modern pro machine from apple.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
It makes sense, it's the easiest one to build and also the one they sell the least every year. Perfect product to test a new process

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
It makes sense, it's the easiest one to build and also the one they sell the least every year. Perfect product to test a new process

Yep. I even stated to my wife yesterday (before this news), that I bet it would be the Mac Pro that they built stateside first, due to it having a higher margin, thus more ability to absorb higher production costs.

Can't wait to see what the new Mac Pro is like come mid 2013! I want one!

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
"-Mac Pros are easier to build and customize than any other Apple product"

Giving Americans the easy job, eh? Racist!
jk

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
Guess they found a way to make the Mac Pro 100% with robots. The 200 jobs that are being created are for robot technicians.;):rolleyes:

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Yeah, Apple! Manufacturer your most least-selling product in the same country that your HQ is located in! Entirely ethical.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Good stuff. Not only is the Mac Pro line staying alive, it is being made in 'Merica!

Khadgar

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Macs used to be produced in the United States, so the rumored Mac Pro would hardly be the first. My original Macintosh and Mac II both say they're made in the United States, and there used to be plants in California and Oregon which made them back in the late 80's, early 90's.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
We can only hope the mac pro is updated soon; I built a hackintosh since a new iMac just won't float my boat and the current mac pro is too slow. Let's hope others can benefit from a modern pro machine from apple.

What do you do for a living that a 12-core machine is too slow? I'm claiming *************

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
It is hard to define what is "Assembled in the US and what is "Made in the US". Lots of people buy boxes of Chines parts and stuff them into a case, assembling their own computer on the kitchen table.

What percentage of the parts have to be made in the US for the whole product to be considered to have been made in the US?

Making a relatively few Mac Pros from imported parts would be easy, making millions of iPhones a day is a different deal.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Neither apple's Tim Cook or anyone at Apple has ever said there would be a new Mac Pro in 2013. It was like"something really special for the pro users later in 2013".

That could mean an Apple coffee blend! Just kidding.:D

Waiting patiently for "something special".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.