Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
The REAL Pro Mac...

I laugh when I see the Mac Book Pro's benchmarks which are like 25% of the power I get on my 2010 Mac Pro.
I got 2 LED Cinema Displays, 1TB Mercury Accelsior PCI-e SSD Drive that gives me 700MB/second Read speeds, plus 6 additional Internal HD's, PCI-e USB 3.0, FireWire 800 and 32GB of RAM. Oh yeah, I removed the CD drive and hooked up a 480GB SSD instead.
Try to upgrade an iMac or Mac Book...
Mac Pro is the only REAL Professional Mac. The rest are toys... ;)

JonBook Pro

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
Would love to see this on all Mac Pros...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 175

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
And the new Apple Thunderbolt display with USB 3 and hopefully with matte screen option, even if more expensive. Because it is a health and productivity issue for millions.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
A little late to speculation MacRumors? People on here have been chatting about this since Cook said something about building Macs in the USA. ;)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
A few units to be made in USA won't affect Apple's bottom line. It's the perfect product to give Apple the positive image of "Made in USA" without any significant costs.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
I laugh when I see the Mac Book Pro's benchmarks which are like 25% of the power I get on my 2010 Mac Pro.
I got 2 LED Cinema Displays, 1TB Mercury Accelsior PCI-e SSD Drive that gives me 700MB/second Read speeds, plus 6 additional Internal HD's, PCI-e USB 3.0, FireWire 800 and 32GB of RAM. Oh yeah, I removed the CD drive and hooked up a 480GB SSD instead.

I'm not sure why you'd laugh. It's just a computer. 99% of users don't need a 12 core computer to browse safari, write some emails, play some music and edit a couple photos. But hey, if you are the type of person that stares at yourself in the mirror at the gym that's cool too.

dansix

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
Omg

The outcome my be something akin to the auto industry. There's no way that Americans can build like the Chinese. The Chinese can do it better and cheaper because their cultural values are different. They are willing to live on the manufacturing campus in bunk beds and work over 12 hours a day like slaves. Let's get real.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
The Mac Pro hasn't been updated for 36 months. Is this move to "Made in USA" a sign that the updates will be more frequent?

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
At least my toy has Thunderbolt. Lmao.

Yeah? I'm so jealous... :rolleyes:
You love paying double for hard drives and $50 to get 20% more speed? I don't... :cool:
I got PCI-express and a 700MB/S Internal Hard Drive. No thunderbolt HD can get even close...
Cheers, baby

Khadgar

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
It is hard to define what is "Assembled in the US and what is "Made in the US". Lots of people buy boxes of Chines parts and stuff them into a case, assembling their own computer on the kitchen table.

What percentage of the parts have to be made in the US for the whole product to be considered to have been made in the US?

Making a relatively few Mac Pros from imported parts would be easy, making millions of iPhones a day is a different deal.

Well, the glass on the iPhone, antenna, and processor at least are manufactured in the US. It's not far fetched to believe the rest of it could as well. The reason why we can't right now is the same reason why we can't go to the moon right now; we have nothing to go to the moon in. It doesn't mean we don't have the capability to do so. We never built any infrastructure to build mass amounts of electronics like we did other things, but it doesn't mean we can't. We will and are.

It's true there's a difference between assembling and manufacturing, but I'll be surprised if this is just an assembly plant. Apple has a lot to gain from owning the manufacture of their products, and the Mac Pro should be the easiest way to start it. I very much doubt this will stop with the Mac Pro. It could possibly even fold over into Canada as well who is also like us beefing up their manufacturing sectors.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
The outcome my be something akin to the auto industry. There's no way that Americans can build like the Chinese. The Chinese can do it better and cheaper because their cultural values are different. They are willing to live on the manufacturing campus in bunk beds and work over 12 hours a day like slaves. Let's get real.

12 hours a day? I think more...
The Koreans have a system called "warm bed". The bed is always warm because when a worker wakes up, the next one is waiting to take that bed. They share the beds and work over 16 hours a day... Poor people... :(

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
That doesn't make a better product (maybe a worse one) but only a faster product. It's the individual worker who decides to do a good job that makes better products. Sadly, though, craftsmanship is becoming increasingly scarce in this world as we look to all products as being disposable.

Liquidstate

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Pacific Northwest
A decision to build the Mac Pro in the US could explain a lot of the confusion. Especially why Apple stopped upgrading it.

Cook said the end of next year, which would mean fall 2013. Not what anyone wanted to hear. But this could be why it's taking Apple so long.

I doubt the MP's form factor will continue to be the iconic aluminum tower. That would be so un-Apple. Also, this would be the first product that's totally on Tim Cook's watch. He's under pressure to continue innovating. Plus, shifting manufacturing to the US means Jony Ive could completely redesign it.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California

I guess my toy (a 27" 2011 BTO iMac built with the following specs: 3.4GHz quad-core Core i7, 2GB AMD Radeon 6970m, and 16GB RAM) is able to run all of my apps simultaneously with no problems, batch process a few hundred photos in minutes, encode video and audio very quickly, run my RAID setup, run my digital life, be a mini-theater system, and look good on my desk just isn't cut out for professional level work. Ok. :rolleyes:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

====

Yeah? I'm so jealous...
You love paying double for hard drives and $50 to get 20% more speed? I don't...
I got PCI-express and a 700MB/S Internal Hard Drive. No thunderbolt HD can get even close...
Cheers, baby

SSD = Solid State Drive
SSD Drive = Solid State Drive Drive
SSD Hard Drive = Solid State Drive Hard Drive
see?

dansix

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
That doesn't make a better product (maybe a worse one) but only a faster product. It's the individual worker who decides to do a good job that makes better products. Sadly, though, craftsmanship is becoming increasingly scarce in this world as we look to all products as being disposable.

Anybody who thinks that US manufacturing will ever get to the level of China knows very little about economics. Americans need to stick to what they do best - management. Americans have a reputation of laziness. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's an ideal characteristic in motivating people to find easier ways of doing almost everything. Chinese culture is one that is marked by diligence and perfectionism, which is probably better suited for manufacturing. They're also willing to work for a lot less, longer hours, and in worse conditions. Speaking in general terms of course.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Macs used to be produced in the United States, so the rumored Mac Pro would hardly be the first. My original Macintosh and Mac II both say they're made in the United States, and there used to be plants in California and Oregon which made them back in the late 80's, early 90's.

My 2008 Mac Pro was assembled in the USA. Some of them have always been assembled in the USA I think.

----------

What do you do for a living that a 12-core machine is too slow? I'm claiming *************

He might mean that it is too slow for the price. I would agree.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California

Where do I begin to dismantle your line of thinking?

Do you really think that people want to work like slaves for such low wages and live in horrible conditions like the people who assemble these products in China? The people there work in these conditions because there's over 1.25 BILLION people in the entire country. If one guy doesn't want a job for $7 per day, it's cool because there are a hundred people behind him that will take it for $6 per day.

You want to get real? Here's the reality. These people are working in conditions that were present in the USA 100 years ago. What you're promoting is turning the clock back and racing to the bottom.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
You love paying double for hard drives and $50 to get 20% more speed? I don't... :cool:
Cheers, baby

I dont even use Thunderbolt. I was just trying to tease you a little because your post is hilarious.

"My mac is the only pro tool yadda specs specs yadda yadda"

Great stuff haha.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Cheers, baby

700MB/s??!!!??! What do you have, striped SSDs? My 2008 Mac Pro gets 200MB/s read/write with 2 striped 7200RPM HDDs.

dansix

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
Tim Cook is full of ****

Tim Cook said it wasn't about cost. That's where I raise the ******** flag. All the Apple fanboys of course will jump all over me on this because they're all zombies, eating up all the B.S. that comes out of Cupertino.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.