Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FiddlersGreen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Well I've got a MacBook Pro. Had it for maybe 4 years. Today I was on it... Turned it of... Got bored and took it down the hall and turned it on... The screen never turns on. When you turn it on, it doesn't even do the sound at the beginning. As far as sounds go, it's like it was sleeping and you opened it so sound from the disc drive and then the fans....that's it. Caps lock don't light up... Nothin. The only thing that works is holding the power down for 5 sec to turn it back off. Oh the little light in front turns on too but big whoop. Shining a light through the apple... It's a dead screen for sure. So did my MacBook just take a dump and its time for a new one? Or can this be fixed?

PatrickMac

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Im having the exact same problem except mines just a 2.4ghz black macbook. disk drives start up and spin but the screen just stays black.
if you take out the ram and turn it on and it beeps really loudly, then your logic board might still be good. thats whats happening to mine and people are saying it might be fixable. but it might be just giving me false hopes :mad:

FiddlersGreen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Umm here's the info from the order confirmation back when I got it.

RFB MBP 17HR/2.6/2X1GB/200-7200-USA
(Refurbished mbpro 17 inch hi res screen and have no clue what the rest means but ya probably understand it)

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Assuming it's not the battery it sounds like what happened to my bosses MBP 2 weeks ago which, unfortunately, was his logic board failing. When he went to turn his mac on the drive would spin-up and you could hear the fan running but no chime or screen would come up.

He got it fixed but out of warranty it's pretty pricey so if this is the case I'd say it's likely time to upgrade: just my opinion though. I think the new logic board (with labour) ran him like 600 bucks. You can buy a used MBP for that much or spend about 600 more and get a brand new one that will run a hell of a lot better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.