Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:29 PM   #1
crewkid89
macrumors regular

TiBook interesting HDD issue

I have a Titanium 800mhz Powerbook. I am able to boot from external drives fine (os 9 on an external usb drive and target firewire booting my leopard powerbook) as well as the internal combo drive. I cannot however boot from the internal harddrive.

The drive is known to be good. It will boot in a USB enclosure to OS 9 but I don't even hear it spinning up when booting it internally. I purchased a replacement cable from pbparts.com (took him 3 tries to send the right one) and it will not work.

I tried apple hardware test, no errors.

Any ideas or is this thing toast?

Last edited by crewkid89; Dec 9, 2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: clarification
crewkid89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:33 PM   #2
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

How do you know that the drive is good? It doesn't sound like its good to me.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:48 PM   #3
mike457
macrumors 6502

If you boot from Leopard in the DVD drive, does it offer the hard drive as a possible place to install? Can you access the hard drive from Disk Utility on the Leopard disk?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:54 PM   #4
crewkid89
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 View Post
How do you know that the drive is good? It doesn't sound like its good to me.
Sorry reading back that wasn't clear. If I take out the drive and put it into an enclosure, it boots.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike457 View Post
If you boot from Leopard in the DVD drive, does it offer the hard drive as a possible place to install? Can you access the hard drive from Disk Utility on the Leopard disk?
The drive is not accessible from my external leopard drive nor is it from an install disc. I don't even understand how I was able to boot leopard I didn't think this computer was capable, it's only 800mhz.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:25 PM   #5
California
macrumors 68040

Have the vaguest of recollections that the hard drive socket on the board can go bad. Try cleaning it and inspecting it, making double sure your hard drive connector orange thingie is good. I actually might have a connector, stumbled on some old parts today. I'll look.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:55 PM   #6
crewkid89
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
Have the vaguest of recollections that the hard drive socket on the board can go bad. Try cleaning it and inspecting it, making double sure your hard drive connector orange thingie is good. I actually might have a connector, stumbled on some old parts today. I'll look.
How would you clean it... can of air? The connector is very small abut it looks intact. Like I said it took three tries to get the right one and it looked quite used when I finally did so maybe the flex cable is bad. Apparently some connectors take a left turn towards the IDE socket and some turn right. I need a rightie (looking on top of the drive with the battery compartment away from you).

If you have one you know to be good and you don't need it, I would be happy to buy it off of you. Are you in the US?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:23 AM   #7
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewkid89 View Post
How would you clean it... can of air? The connector is very small abut it looks intact. Like I said it took three tries to get the right one and it looked quite used when I finally did so maybe the flex cable is bad. Apparently some connectors take a left turn towards the IDE socket and some turn right. I need a rightie (looking on top of the drive with the battery compartment away from you).

If you have one you know to be good and you don't need it, I would be happy to buy it off of you. Are you in the US?
I'll look further but the box of parts I had only had a optical drive flex for it. Actually It might be the optical drive flex for a 12" Powerbook... sorry.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:21 AM   #8
crewkid89
macrumors regular

No worries! Thanks for looking!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs