Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
How about a sub-$2000 Mac Pro with a simple quad-core processor?

A guy can dream.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
What do you do for a living that a 12-core machine is too slow? I'm claiming *************

I think you'll find they're barely faster than a new iMac. MacPro doesn't sport the same buses, Sandy/Ivy bridge, etc. so apps like FCP X that are designed to take advantage of those specific technologies actually run better, faster, smoother on iMac vs. a 12 core mac pro.

Plus, very few apps can actually access the cores, so a 12 core 3 ghz machine is actually much slower than a 4 core 3.4 ghz modern machine for non multi processor aware apps.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
At least my toy has Thunderbolt. Lmao.

Thunderbolt solves a need that isn't completely shared by the mac pro. You gain the ability to purchase a nifty display + docking station and a few external drives. The mac pro had access to better RAID options and mini-SAS years before the debut of thunderbolt. If someone that owns one has such needs, they're still better covered by existing solutions.

Will it still get a bloated price with subpar hardware like all the other Mac Pros have in the last 4 years?

In the dual package workstations, they all have bloated pricetags, although Apple is often at the higher end of that. The single ones can be found for at least $1000 less from other vendors with the possible exception of Boxx, but Apple isn't really a specialty vendor. The case design is way out of date. It's not an issue of size. GPU problems have been fairly common in its history. I'm not sure what they're going to do with it.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
And the new Apple Thunderbolt display with USB 3 and hopefully with matte screen option, even if more expensive. Because it is a health and productivity issue for millions.

A health issue? Seriously? We get it, you don't like glossy displays. Now please seek help.

darcyjames

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
It is hard to define what is "Assembled in the US and what is "Made in the US". Lots of people buy boxes of Chines parts and stuff them into a case, assembling their own computer on the kitchen table.

What percentage of the parts have to be made in the US for the whole product to be considered to have been made in USA?

A product that includes foreign components may be called "Assembled in USA" without qualification when its principal assembly takes place in the U.S. and the assembly is substantial. For the "assembly" claim to be valid, the product’s last "substantial transformation" also should have occurred in the U.S. That’s why a "screwdriver" assembly in the U.S. of foreign components into a final product at the end of the manufacturing process doesn’t usually qualify for the "Assembled in USA" claim.

Example: All the major components of a computer, including the motherboard and hard drive, are imported. The computer’s components then are put together in a simple "screwdriver" operation in the U.S., are not substantially transformed under the Customs Standard, and must be marked with a foreign country of origin. An "Assembled in U.S." claim without further qualification is deceptive.

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus03-complying-made-usa-standard#Assembled in U.S.A.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
I laugh when I see the Mac Book Pro's benchmarks which are like 25% of the power I get on my 2010 Mac Pro.
I got 2 LED Cinema Displays, 1TB Mercury Accelsior PCI-e SSD Drive that gives me 700MB/second Read speeds, plus 6 additional Internal HD's, PCI-e USB 3.0, FireWire 800 and 32GB of RAM. Oh yeah, I removed the CD drive and hooked up a 480GB SSD instead.
Try to upgrade an iMac or Mac Book...
Mac Pro is the only REAL Professional Mac. The rest are toys... ;)

You might want to look at this - http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

The 2010 MacPro with 8 cores is essentially the same speed as a Retina MacBook Pro with 4, yes 4, cores. Just a hair faster. So an 8 core i7 would pretty much smoke that machine. But yeah, a 12 core, with multiprocessor aware apps, sans apps like FCP X, will be closer to double a retina mbpro.

Basically, the MacPro has stood still for so long that i7 mobile processors are starting to catch up with only half as many cores. If they put in newer xeons it would truly be smokin'.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
mac pro is a bit old but

700MB/s??!!!??! What do you have, striped SSDs? My 2008 Mac Pro gets 200MB/s read/write with 2 striped 7200RPM HDDs.
average ssd speed 5-600. you could have one drive and it would do almost 3 times better than your raid.

lacie claims 635 with an ssd on thunderbolt.

http://www.lacie.com/ca/products/product.htm?id=10549

raid them for even better performance but it seems it maxes out at 800. stick that on a macbook pro/air/iMac and lookie lookie.

just going by a couple manufacturers stats.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
This actually makes sense. Shipping a single Mac Pro from China must cost about the same as a dozen laptops, and two dozen Minis. Whatever the extra costs are to assemble them in the US will be balanced by the savings in shipping. Which is sorta what foidulus was saying, I think... (below).... :)

... the Mac Pro is such a low-volume, heavy beast that building large #s of them in China and shipping them by boat or air mailing almost every mac pro sold is a losing venture. They assemble them in the US so that they can get it delivered to a customer rather cheaply w/o having to sit on large piles of unsold finished product. They also used to make the XServes in the US too, but obviously that ended w/ the XServe....

It would be even better to NOT have it built by Foxconn. Company of suicide nets and worker riots.

You mean the company that has a lower suicide rate than the US?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Think it'll have no optical drive, proprietary SSD, a mobile CPU, and soldered in RAM?

Joking right? I'm willing to bet against a mobile CPU and soldered-in RAM, but time will tell.

Well isnt that just fine and flipping dandy, isnt it? cause NO ONE BUYS MAC PROS!!
13" 2012 MacBook Pro

Many people, judging by recent posts here, have been anxiously looking forward to new MacPros.

You might want to look at this - http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks
The 2010 MacPro with 8 cores is essentially the same speed as a Retina MacBook Pro with 4, yes 4, cores. Just a hair faster. So an 8 core i7 would pretty much smoke that machine. But yeah, a 12 core, with multiprocessor aware apps, sans apps like FCP X, will be closer to double a retina mbpro.

Basically, the MacPro has stood still for so long that i7 mobile processors are starting to catch up with only half as many cores. If they put in newer xeons it would truly be smokin'.

It's a safe bet that the new MacPro will be state of the art, and yes, 'smoking' at the time of it's release, otherwise what's the point of releasing it in the first place?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
average ssd speed 5-600. you could have one drive and it would do almost 3 times better than your raid.

lacie claims 635 with an ssd on thunderbolt.

http://www.lacie.com/ca/products/product.htm?id=10549

raid them for even better performance but it seems it maxes out at 800. stick that on a macbook pro/air/iMac and lookie lookie.

just going by a couple manufacturers stats.

500-600 doesn't seem realistic, judging by results I get when searching for SSD benchmarks. I found a YouTube video of a Mac Pro with an SSD that gets around 250MB/s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt_xtlYyLeQ

----------

Oh, I see. That's intense.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
This actually makes sense. Shipping a single Mac Pro from China must cost about the same as a dozen laptops, and two dozen Minis. Whatever the extra costs are to assemble them in the US will be balanced by the savings in shipping. Which is sorta what foidulus was saying, I think... (below).... :)

You mean the company that has a lower suicide rate than the US?

The new Mac Pro is not gonna have a 10-year old body. They will probably make it half the size and weight so shipping won't be such an issue.
And I bet the design is Gonna be stunning. They can't just tweak such an old style machine. It still needs to have 4 PCi slots, at least 4
Hard drives, at least 8 slots for ram and
Maybe a DVD... There is no much they can shrink but it can be a lot lighter. :confused:

----------

500-600 doesn't seem realistic, judging by results I get when searching for SSD benchmarks. I found a YouTube video of a Mac Pro with an SSD that gets around 250MB/s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt_xtlYyLeQ

----------

Not just intense. INSTANT.
There is almost no wait for anything on my machine. :cool:

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach

----------

You and me both buddy...:(

----------

Except not...they just stopped making VHS what 2 years ago? Both will still be around 10 years from now I guarantee.
Ok, 3 years :D
My Audi has a CD/DVD. But it also has a 20GB hard disk for
Music and videos which can be imported from 2 available SD card slots or USB Flash drives, not to mention iPod/iPhone connectivity.
Who wants a CD that holds 15 songs or a low quality DVD when I have dozens of movies and thousands Of songs ready to go?

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
12 hours a day? I think more...
The Koreans have a system called "warm bed". The bed is always warm because when a worker wakes up, the next one is waiting to take that bed. They share the beds and work over 16 hours a day... Poor people... :(

Yeah, terrible but would be much worse if they lived in North Korea. We are very fortunate though most have no idea.

Domalais

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
12 hours a day? I think more...
The Koreans have a system called "warm bed". The bed is always warm because when a worker wakes up, the next one is waiting to take that bed. They share the beds and work over 16 hours a day... Poor people... :(

You're either trolling or incredibly ignorant.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
SSD = Solid State Drive
SSD Drive = Solid State Drive Drive
SSD Hard Drive = Solid State Drive Hard Drive
see?

Yes I do see. I see that you are a self appointed authority on meaningless technicalities. Most will find you obnoxious. See?

eltaurus

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I guess my toy (a 27" 2011 BTO iMac built with the following specs: 3.4GHz quad-core Core i7, 2GB AMD Radeon 6970m, and 16GB RAM) is able to run all of my apps simultaneously with no problems, batch process a few hundred photos in minutes, encode video and audio very quickly, run my RAID setup, run my digital life, be a mini-theater system, and look good on my desk just isn't cut out for professional level work. Ok. :rolleyes:

Still there are other pro's which need really a Powerful Workstation ... Photo/video are not only pro ..

there are digital content creation (3D modeling / animation / simulation / VFX) plus many more.. who need proper workstation not a toy. with Multipule CPU's GPU & hell lot of ram..

i7 ahahhaha its a gaming processor .. Xeon is real deal when 3d rendering ( not processing / encoding photo /video)

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
The better solution for Apple in a workstation class system is to use Opteron 6300 or Vishera FX-8350s in pairs, then coupled with the option to build out the upcoming AMD Radeon 8000 series or the current 10000 CAD Workstation cards because Nonlinear Dynamics loves Double Precision in TFLOPS and Single Precision leaders like Intel are behind in the DP that is AMD.

Yes, a Mac Pro could also benefit from being capable of 256GB and 512GB of RAM expansion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.