Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:24 PM   #1
G4TheWin
macrumors member

What OS for iBook G4?

I'm a new user, and just got an iBook G4. I know this is probably a newbie question, and that it may have been asked before, but I'd like to know what OS I should put on my new laptop. It has a 1.2 Ghz processor, and 768 MB of RAM. Would the benefit of speed outweigh the fact that Tiger's been deemed unsupported by Apple, or should I just stick to Leopard? All my apps work on Tiger, and the only problem for me is running a potentially dangerous operating system.
G4TheWin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:33 PM   #2
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
There are a lot of Tiger fans here, but I'm not one of them. Leopard to me is just better, but that's a personal opinion. Leopard however will run anything Tiger can run. But there are apps that require Leopard and if you have Tiger you of course will not be able to run them.

Max the RAM. A lot of the "slowness" of Leopard can be attributed to not having enough RAM.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:43 PM   #3
skateny
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4TheWin View Post
I'm a new user, and just got an iBook G4. I know this is probably a newbie question, and that it may have been asked before, but I'd like to know what OS I should put on my new laptop. It has a 1.2 Ghz processor, and 768 MB of RAM. Would the benefit of speed outweigh the fact that Tiger's been deemed unsupported by Apple, or should I just stick to Leopard? All my apps work on Tiger, and the only problem for me is running a potentially dangerous operating system.
As has already been suggested, Leopard is the way to go. And max out the RAM. I got my iBook with 768MB, and the difference in 1.5GB is not only noticeable, it makes life much easier.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:01 PM   #4
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateny View Post
As has already been suggested, Leopard is the way to go. And max out the RAM. I got my iBook with 768MB, and the difference in 1.5GB is not only noticeable, it makes life much easier.
The only reason to run 10.4.11 is if you need to run any Classic Apps. Other than that, Leopard would likely be best.

Maxing out the RAM is the thing to do, with either system.
blesscheese is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:11 PM   #5
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Since you are a new user, you probably don't want to deal with all the compatibility issues that come with running an older OS. Leopard, get more RAM, and use Applications optimized for the computer. I always suggest Leopard Webkit for web browsing. Its user interface is identical to that of Safari's, but the code is optimized and it runs about 20% faster.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:43 PM   #6
G4TheWin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
Since you are a new user, you probably don't want to deal with all the compatibility issues that come with running an older OS. Leopard, get more RAM, and use Applications optimized for the computer. I always suggest Leopard Webkit for web browsing. Its user interface is identical to that of Safari's, but the code is optimized and it runs about 20% faster.
I've already tried Leopard Webkit, but it made Software Update and Mactubes crash, so no thank you!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:45 PM   #7
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I've already tried Leopard Webkit, but it made Software Update and Mactubes crash, so no thank you!
I do not think that it was Webkit that made it crash. I successfully run Webkit on a daily basis on two PowerPC macs without no problems whatsoever. Definitely try again- It was something else.
MisterKeeks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:56 PM   #8
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

If you've got Leopard already on there, keep it. Your iBook can definitely handle it but grab a 1GB stick and throw it in there for some extra speed.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:34 PM   #9
G4TheWin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
I do not think that it was Webkit that made it crash. I successfully run Webkit on a daily basis on two PowerPC macs without no problems whatsoever. Definitely try again- It was something else.
Nope. I uninstalled it (and nothing else) and both Software Update and MacTubes worked again.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Zotaccian
macrumors 6502a

Leopard webkit also broke Youview which is why stopped using it.
Zotaccian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:16 PM   #11
B-G
macrumors regular

Do not install Leopard Webkit as system default. From Leopard Webkit feedback page:

Comment by project member Tobias.N...@gmail.com, Sep 24, 2012

Installing is an experimental option that is broken since 537.8 . Just use the supplied WebKit executable to have Safari use Leopard WebKit instead of the system installed version.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:29 PM   #12
PowerPCMacMan
Banned

Webkit?

So, what version of Leopard Webkit for PPC is stable? I think I have 537.10 installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Do not install Leopard Webkit as system default. From Leopard Webkit feedback page:

Comment by project member Tobias.N...@gmail.com, Sep 24, 2012

Installing is an experimental option that is broken since 537.8 . Just use the supplied WebKit executable to have Safari use Leopard WebKit instead of the system installed version.
PowerPCMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:48 AM   #13
B-G
macrumors regular

I'm using 537.10, and it seems pretty stable to me. 536.26.14 should be even more stable. The point is you should not install L-W as system default (at least not with 537.10).
In the .dmg file you download from L-W site you will find 6 files. The one marked as "install" is a shell script that replaces the Apple provided version of webkit with the one you just downloaded. This is a system wide replacement (it affects all the applications using webkit, such as Mail) and it's currently broken.
If you just use the provided L-W executable, you should not see the problems some of the users here are having. It just launches Safari 5 using the updated webkit frameworks from L-W, without altering your system. If even that causes stability problems, you should inform the developers, using the feedback page on their site.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs