Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Well, I just bought an external keyboard for my iPad, and I feel it is great for typing documents. The problem is, word processors for the iPad are usually lacking. I have a few of them, such as Pages, UX Write, Easy Writer, iA Writer, Wisdom... as well as some office suites such as Documents to Go and Quick Office.

None of them offers the full-featured experience of a true word processor such as Microsoft Word or Nisus Writer Pro or Mellel. Most of them lack advanced features such as cross-references or even footnotes. The closest I found was Pages, although UX Write seems to be developing fine as well.

Which word processor do you use for the iPad? Which do you think is the best one and why?

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
I use CloudOn with DropBox.
I can edit or create MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint files right from my iPad. Both apps are free. Same GUI as MS Office.

http://site.cloudon.com/
https://www.dropbox.com/
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cloudon/id474025452?mt=8

"CloudOn brings Microsoft Office to your tablet. All of it. Of course you can format text, change fonts and catch that typo, but imagine being able to track changes while editing Word documents, use pivot tables and insert formulas in Excel and present your PowerPoint slides complete with transitions.

Another nifty little feature is the ability to view PDFs (including 3d PDFs) and fill out PDF forms on your workspace! You also have a universal viewer that lets you view virtually any file – from raw Photoshop images to everyday image files like PNG, JPEG and GIF."

Last edited:

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I use CloudOn with DropBox.
I can edit or create MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint files right from my iPad. Both apps are free. Same GUI as MS Office.

http://site.cloudon.com/
https://www.dropbox.com/
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cloudon/id474025452?mt=8

"CloudOn brings Microsoft Office to your tablet. All of it. Of course you can format text, change fonts and catch that typo, but imagine being able to track changes while editing Word documents, use pivot tables and insert formulas in Excel and present your PowerPoint slides complete with transitions.

Another nifty little feature is the ability to view PDFs (including 3d PDFs) and fill out PDF forms on your workspace! You also have a universal viewer that lets you view virtually any file – from raw Photoshop images to everyday image files like PNG, JPEG and GIF."

CloudOn is OK, but it requires an Internet connection. You can't just work offline. An Internet connection is not available at all times.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Which word processor do you use for the iPad? Which do you think is the best one and why?

Like you said, I think Pages is the closest one in terms of advanced features. Personally, I use Scrivener on my mac and sync it with Elements on my iPad (but as you might know, Elements is just a basic rich text editor), or I use Pages (or DocsToGo/QuickOffice if I'm making minor edits to a Word doc).

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Like you said, I think Pages is the closest one in terms of advanced features. Personally, I use Scrivener on my mac and sync it with Elements on my iPad (but as you might know, Elements is just a basic rich text editor), or I use Pages (or DocsToGo/QuickOffice if I'm making minor edits to a Word doc).

UX Write is promising a lot of advanced features, which, however, are not yet implemented.

Scrivener is heading to iOS, but it seems like it is far from being ready.

Word will come as part of Microsoft Office, but it will have limited functionality on iOS.

And then there are rumors of LibreOffice/OpenOffice being ported to iOS. I don't see much enthusiasm from developers, though, due to the policies adopted by Apple. They seem much more insterested in developing an Android version...

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I have a number of them on my iPad but the one that I use the most is Pages as it syncs with the Cloud. Not sure you need a "full featured" word programme for the iPad. Important part is how it works with the Mac.

Read above that Scrivener is coming to iOS? Source?

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
OP
I'm by no means a 'power user' when it comes to Office programs...however, we do use Word/Pages, Excel/Numbers and Keynote solely...as I like it better than PP.
There is a new update to The iOS and OSx iWork suites...just days ago. It does establish better compatibility and 'tracking' with the MS Office suite.

What is it exactly you find lacking? I'm not exactly fond of doing anything 'significant' on iOS. Often small projects, invoicing and management, PDF annotation, time and employee hour tracking and layout design for room setups and load in/out plans. All of our 'heavier' work is still done on the laptops and iMacs. Payroll, larger presentations, larger invoicing and inventory management, expanded RFPs for clients, et al.
As much as the iPad has truly transformed our business...there are still some tasks the full computer is just bettere at. I think this will, moving forward, be the biggest difference between the two form factors. While not there yet...as faster processing and more efficient multi task ability (split or shared screen)--MS jumping on board (they're a software company...how in the world have they not put iOS 'Office' development in turbo mode is beyond me--over 100mil iOS devices in the wild, this should be an extremely lucrative business model for them!)--and even better intra file communication....this will be the differentiating factor, at least a big one between the "mini" and the full sized iPad. As power grows, efficiency and bandwidth improve for storage, and more iPads enter the enterprise segment...I think we will get there

For now though, best to still own the laptop too:)

We also use EverNote, Dropbox, iaWriter, CloudOn (if you DO have 'net access, earlier poster is correct...hands down, the best and fullest feature set for 'Office' specifically, it's awesome!), iAnnotate PDF, Bento, and Paper 53. All for different reasons pending their strengths, but each has become a star app for us. Box, Pocket, and Dropbox are essentials as well for a stand in file manager and excellent third party 'open in' or 'save to' support.

Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.