Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:55 PM   #1
magicshoemonkey
macrumors newbie

Lexmark x4650 - Macbook Air can't find wirelessly

There is a three or four year old thread that deals with this (kind of), but it didn't help me and hasn't had any posts in the last few months. I thought it better to start a new thread than resurrect an old; I hope that's acceptable.

So, I have had this printer for years, but the Air is one I got (refurbished) a few months ago. I've been trying to get it to connect to my Lexmark x4650 for those months, off and on. I tried the straightforward method of installing the wireless setup software to my Mac, connecting the printer to the network through the Macbook Air, and searching for the printer over the network with my Mac, but, while the printer connects to the network fine, the Mac doesn't see it over the network.

I tried connecting through the IP address, but even that didn't work. It first said it couldn't identify the printer, then when I ignored that and connected anyway it said there was a new printer connected through the IP but wouldn't print or anything.

I also installed the updated software and drivers from both Apple and Lexmark. After all of that and trying for a 50th time to re-setup the wireless connection, I went to the printer settings on my Mac and searched for the printer to add. At the time I still had it connected through the USB, and that connected fine, but when I went to add another printer to the queue, while the USB connection was visible in the list, the wireless wasn't. Then, like some sneaky French ghost, the Bonjour connection popped into existence, but when I moved the cursor up to click on it, it disappeared. It did that twice. I feel like I'm living in a cartoon now.

I feel there must be something obvious I'm missing, but I haven't been able to guess what that is yet. Maybe somebody here can help?
magicshoemonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:43 PM   #2
RoyalEagle02
macrumors newbie

Had the same issue and found a solution on another thread that worked...

Add the printer like you did before through the IP address. System Preferences>Print & Scan> click the "+" sign. Click on "IP" and enter your printer's IP address in the top line. Then select "HP Jetdirect - Socket" in the Protocol drop down menu.

Then under the "Use" drop down menu, click on "select printer software..." and click Lexmark 3600-4600 Series. Then click add and it might work. It did for me.

Best of luck.
RoyalEagle02 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 12:33 AM   #3
magicshoemonkey
macrumors newbie

This worked! I actually gave up on this after no reply for a week or two.

Thanks so much.
magicshoemonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:56 AM   #4
pradercomet65
macrumors newbie

Thank you Thank you!

My wife just got a new Macbook Air, and we were having the same problems as the poster. Once I connected the Air to the printer via USB (let them shake hands) and installed the software it NOW realized it needed, I followed you advice and SHAZAM! it work.

Thank you for your help and willingness to share. [emoticon deleted out of respect]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalEagle02 View Post

Add the printer like you did before through the IP address. System Preferences>Print & Scan> click the "+" sign. Click on "IP" and enter your printer's IP address in the top line. Then select "HP Jetdirect - Socket" in the Protocol drop down menu.

Then under the "Use" drop down menu, click on "select printer software..." and click Lexmark 3600-4600 Series. Then click add and it might work. It did for me.

Best of luck.
pradercomet65 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Bill0328
macrumors newbie

Worked for me too!

Quote:

Best of luck.
Let me join others in thanking you. It worked like a charm.

For others, in order to find out what the current IP address is of your printer, there is a setup option on the printer that will print your network information.
Bill0328 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:38 PM   #6
Artimus12
macrumors regular

Quote:

Best of luck.
Another new Mac user saying Thanks ...it's working great now.
Artimus12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help