Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashleypenny

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
I'd be interested in getting some kind of figures around what people have had added to their order for free, where they are located and any evidence they can provide that this has been done.

I cant seem to decide if its a well orchestrated hoax or if Apple are being very inconsistent even between local areas, as even though its mostly people in the US getting the freebies, even there some people are being told that its just not possible.

In the UK I don't think we will get anything like that. I tried talking to apple support and they said that as its not an apple site they cant read the forum to review it, but that they have not heard of any such program whereby free items are being given out, but thats not to say that it isn't happening as we all know how uninformed customer service reps can be!

From my own personal perspective i am not bothered about the shipping or the additional redundant keyboard, but I am a little gypped that I paid £58 for the trackpad and everyone seems to be getting it for free :)

So...

1) What did you get?

2) Have you got any screenshots of your order since it was added, and of your order prior to it being added?

3) where are you based?

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
I think it's very generous of Apple to give out free hardware, but I don't think it should be abused. No offense intended, but I think this thread should be closed.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Seems some gets free magic Mouses or trackpads. I assume its to get some of the biggest naggers off their backs while preparing the iMacs. If you are willing to loose dignity and waste tons of time calling and nagging for a free mouse, then by all means go for it. Personally that mouse ain't worth 5 minutes of my time anyway...I'm going to use a Logitech mouse and chose the trackpad as my accessory, since I had to pick one. I doubt ill use it much though..

ashleypenny

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Seems some gets free magic Mouses or trackpads. I assume its to get some of the biggest naggers off their backs while preparing the iMacs. If you are willing to loose dignity and waste tons of time calling and nagging for a free mouse, then by all means go for it. Personally that mouse ain't worth 5 minutes of my time anyway...I'm going to use a Logitech mouse and chose the trackpad as my accessory, since I had to pick one. I doubt ill use it much though..

I'm not chasing anything free, but a little pissed to have paid out for it if people are getting it for free, so more trying to confirm a suspicion that someone saw something said here and it snowballed from there and suddenly everyone's getting free track pads, and then spare keyboards - all up from expedited shipping (which I can believe) Weird as I haven't read anything on any other sites about people being showered with gifts, just the posts here - but dont think I've seen anyones before/after order posts that shows free items either.

dustless

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Belgium
Just asked for expedite shipping. Wasn't possible unless they cancel the order and redo it.
I said hell NO!!!
Can I change my magic mouse for a trackpad, same reply...
I said hell No!!!
Then he talked about the shipping of the Imac and said he would trow in the trackpad for free :)

He did say he could only do that after the Imac was delivered, but I have everything on mail

jkautosports

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
New York, NY
I think Apple is a generous company, and they are willing to give up a little to make customers happy... That being said, some people will try and take advantage of things like this... and I could understand why Apple would stop offering free items.

My guess is that maybe some people want to add items to their order, but are unable to because they would lose their place in line (orders need to be cancelled to be changed). As a kind gesture, Apple may offer to send it out, on the side, for free. This is different from calling in and requesting free items because you saw other people getting stuff comp'd.

This makes sense if the people who are getting free items are those who rushed to place orders as soon as the iMac was listed on Nov. 30th... With delivery dates near Christmas, with no actual guarantee of delivery by Christmas.

I called in because I wanted to actually pay for expedited shipping (30 bucks compared to the $2400 I'm paying is really nothing). They bumped my shipping up to 2-3 day from standard for free (without me even asking)... I saw some people on here getting next-day shipping... I thought to call back, but then I thought... They already did something nice for me, so why ask for more?

iohass

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2012
Canada
not a freebie per se, but my ipad 3 has a dead pixel and I went to the apple store to ask for an exchange. they opened up a new unit for me, and upon inspection, that one also had a dead pixel. opened another one and there were some lighting issues. next one had a dead pixel as well. 4-5 ipads later, the genius bar dude decided that he can't keep opening ipads for me and called the manager.

the manager made a small attempt to convince me that it's normal to have a dead pixel, but i didn't buy it, so she offered to refund me a % of the price i paid for the ipad. got about $70 back and that dead pixel never really bothered me anyway

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009

100% Truth. Nothing else needs to be said. Close this baby.

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
I have no problem with companies giving out extra products for people's inconveniences or as compensation for what they see fit, if it's their idea. I also don't see a problem with people accepting free things if offered - even if they don't really want it.

However I think those who call once, twice or even more just to get free things and nothing else are shameless and greedy, frankly that's abusing the "system" and also people's good will. I lose all respect for a person on this forum when I see "Hah, I got a free mouse and I'm gonna sell it on ebay!!!". So I agree with CoreyLahey, if this thread is going to turn into a discussion about how to weasel out as much free things as possible just for the heck of it, it should be closed.

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
I have no problem with companies giving out extra products for people's inconveniences or as compensation for what they see fit, if it's their idea. I also don't see a problem with people accepting free things if offered - even if they don't really want it.

However I think those who call once, twice or even more just to get free things and nothing else are shameless and greedy, frankly that's abusing the "system" and also people's good will. I lose all respect for a person on this forum when I see "Hah, I got a free mouse and I'm gonna sell it on ebay!!!". So I agree with CoreyLahey, if this thread is going to turn into a discussion about how to weasel out as much free things as possible just for the heck of it, it should be closed.

Calm down people, nobody is getting anything for free, it's a $2k+ computer for god sake...

Those people are trying to get 'extras' rather than free stuff, just see it as an attempt to negotiate, not personally worth my time, but I could see how some people would want to kill some time trying to get those.

Those attempts are no more shameless than hiding the ram slots in the back and charge customers $600+ to upgrade to 32Gb. I hope you are just as vocal to Apple about those shameless and greedy attempts as you are here when you go after the little man spending a large amount of its paycheck on these products.

mazakii

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
I personally wouldn't try to get an extra mouse that I don't need. But I don't think any of us should stop others trying.

It's not abusing the system. It is only something to compensate the wait. For all the money they make, this is absolutely nothing.

And it's totally up to individual.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Calm down people, nobody is getting anything for free, it's a $2k+ computer for god sake...

Those people are trying to get 'extras' rather than free stuff, just see it as an attempt to negotiate, not personally worth my time, but I could see how some people would want to kill some time trying to get those.

Those attempts are no more shameless than hiding the ram slots in the back and charge customers $600+ to upgrade to 32Gb. I hope you are just as vocal to Apple about those shameless and greedy attempts as you are here when you go after the little man spending a large amount of its paycheck on these products.

Well said!!!

Actually Amazon do the same type of thing if they stuff up an order. Just keep the doubles. Perhaps Apple are giving away these trackpads because nobody is buying them???

It's probably part of their PR customer service. Apple play the long term game.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Apple could always say NO ! to a request or hint for a freebie , especially multiple freebies .

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.