Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Macs4lyfe
macrumors newbie

iPhone on T-Mobile

Hey guys. I just saw the 50 discount that Best Buy is offering and wanted to take advantage of it. My dad has an iPhone on
AT T and I have a contract with T-Mobile. I was wondering if my dad could buy the phone from T-Mobile and give it to me. If I switch out the SIM, could I keep my number?
Macs4lyfe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Yes, but you will need to unlock the iphone 5 cause it will still be locked to AT&T till the 2 year contract is up.
You can purchase an IMEI unlock for it on ebay.
Then go to tmobile to get a nanosim with your phone number.
If they dont have nanosims available you can try cutting your sim down to nano size.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Macs4lyfe
macrumors newbie

What do you mean by it will still be locked up with At&t
Macs4lyfe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:05 PM   #4
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs4lyfe View Post
What do you mean by it will still be locked up with At&t
He means that you cant use it on t-mobile until you get the imei unlocked. When the phone is under contract with ATT then dont let you use it with another carrier until your contract is up. To get around that you have to get it unlocked with one of the unlockers on ebay.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:25 AM   #5
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

You guys aren't answering OP's question. He said his dad has an iPhone on AT&T, which is actually irrelevant to his question. He's asking if his dad can get an iPhone through T-Mobile and then give it to him.

OP, the answer is that T-Mobile doesn't sell the iPhone. What you CAN do is get an unlocked iPhone 5 from the Apple store. It'll work just fine on T-Mobile's network. But be advised that 3G/4G only works in certain markets with the iPhone because T-Mobile is still upgrading their network. The entire country should be done by next year, but you want to make sure your area is covered otherwise you could be stuck with a a slower EDGE connection in the meantime.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:56 AM   #6
ladytonya
macrumors 6502

You can only get the $50 discount off of the subsidized price with a 2-year activation. The AT&T line that is activated will have an ETF if you don't keep it for 2 years.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone