Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M-B-P

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Deciding between Grado SR60i, Nokia Purity, and Beats Solo HD.

I've had the Beats Solo HD for about 1.5 years and they're starting to fall apart and sound quality is getting bad. So i'm thinking about getting new headphones.

I listen to hip hop (not that radio rap garbage though) and some classical music when I'm studying. However, I mostly use headphones when watching movies/TV shows on my MBP and listening to lecture recordings. That's where my primary use of headphones comes from. I'm not really concerned with the bass, but more about clarity of sound and decent mids and lows, ect (whatever that means :confused:). I would also like headphones that have some decent noise blocking capabilities for when I'm studying/listening to lecture recordings.

Before the Solo HDs, I only used the Apple earphones and other <30 dollar earbuds so the Solo HDs were a big upgrade for me.

Reading review's i've heard great things about the SR60i. The price point is attractive too. But i've read some reviews suggesting there is significant sound leakage.

The Nokia Purity (http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Purity-On-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B0074F5F4U) are new on the market, but from reading some reviews they offer pretty good sound quality too. They are attractive headphones with nice colors. Also, I think AT&Ts selling them for $99 and they would go great with my new Nokia Lumia 920.

Reading Wilstreak's review on Amazon for the Nokia Purity headphones, he suggests that these are better than the Solo HD and even the SR60i.

Based on your experiences how are the SR60s? How is the sound leakage? And which headphone set would you choose considering that Nokia Purity's are selling for $99?

Thanks in advance.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
the Grados are open headphones...not what you're looking for. the go-to closed headphones for ~$100 are the Sony MDR-V6. if you want something more stylish, I guess look at the Noontec Zoro.

having listened to Beats, I can tell you they're utter crap (for the money). I don't know anything about the Nokias...but I'd still choose them over Beats.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Reading review's i've heard great things about the SR60i. The price point is attractive too. But i've read some reviews suggesting there is significant sound leakage.

Excellent sound quality. If you want to get better sound quality from good HiFi equipment you'll have to pay a lot more. If you want to get better sound quality from an iPod with its limited power, you won't get it for any more. And all the money you pay goes to sound quality, not to fashion or name.

Yes, you'll hear what is going on around you. To me, that's a good thing, I can't stand being cut off from my surroundings.

M-B-P

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Thanks for you replies.

the Grados are open headphones...not what you're looking for. the go-to closed headphones for ~$100 are the Sony MDR-V6. if you want something more stylish, I guess look at the Noontec Zoro.

having listened to Beats, I can tell you they're utter crap (for the money). I don't know anything about the Nokias...but I'd still choose them over Beats.

After a quick google search i'm getting the impression that open headphones like the Grados let a lot more sound in/out than closed headphones. So for studying, where I like to isolate myself from often loud environments, i'm guessing open headphones aren't the best.

How would you compare the The Noontec Zoro to the Beats in terms of purely the sound quality (not considering the price differences)? The bad thing about the Noontec Zoros is that they look like Beats knockoffs.

The Sony's are a little too big for what i'm looking for. But how do you think they are for eliminating outside sound while listening to music for when I'm studying? That is one of the most important factors for me because I think that what I use headphones for most of the time. I'm thinking of using the Sony's for movies/studying when I'm at home and buying a smaller/more stylish pair for when out in public. Also, my budget maxes out at about $200.

Yes, you'll hear what is going on around you. To me, that's a good thing, I can't stand being cut off from my surroundings.

Based on that I don't think the Grados will be good for me. Which set do you recommend for blocking of the surroundings?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
After a quick google search i'm getting the impression that open headphones like the Grados let a lot more sound in/out than closed headphones. So for studying, where I like to isolate myself from often loud environments, i'm guessing open headphones aren't the best.

right, open headphones have effectively no sealing, so you can hear stuff around you and everyone else can hear your music.

How would you compare the The Noontec Zoro to the Beats in terms of purely the sound quality (not considering the price differences)? The bad thing about the Noontec Zoros is that they look like Beats knockoffs.

I haven't actually tried the Zoros, I've just seen good reviews on them. based on the frequency response plot (see comparison below), I'd guess that they're better. two of the problems with the Beats is extremely exaggerated bass and muted mids/highs, which are somewhat improved in the Zoros. the HD800 is just there for reference, i.e. what a neutral headphone might look like.

graphCompare.php

of course, plots don't tell you everything, they're just good as a reference.

The Sony's are a little too big for what i'm looking for. But how do you think they are for eliminating outside sound while listening to music for when I'm studying? That is one of the most important factors for me because I think that what I use headphones for most of the time. I'm thinking of using the Sony's for movies/studying when I'm at home and buying a smaller/more stylish pair for when out in public. Also, my budget maxes out at about $200.

I was actually looking for portable closed headphones last year for similar purposese, I was looking at the Sennheiser HD25 II and some other ones. the problem with depending on closed headphones for isolation is that, for good isolation, they need to be tight. if they're sitting on your ears (supra-aural), that means they get uncomfortable after a while. the way around that is with tons of padding or by going around your ear (circumaural), but then they end up being huge.

I gave up and just bought in-ears. better noise isolation and tiny. a lot of them are compatible with Comply foam tips for more comfort.

M-B-P

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2010
the problem with depending on closed headphones for isolation is that, for good isolation, they need to be tight. if they're sitting on your ears (supra-aural), that means they get uncomfortable after a while. the way around that is with tons of padding or by going around your ear (circumaural), but then they end up being huge.

Great info dude, more than I could have asked for. Now I know about open/close and circumaural/supra-aural. I think for home use for studying/watching movies circumaural headphones would be good for me.

I going to have to visit a music store and test some for myself to see what I like. Problem is finals week is coming up and I can't spend much time on researching the market for good headphones. (Got to get off MacRumors :)).

You seem to know about headphones, do you mind if I PM you in a couple of weeks for advice once i'm done with finals and get time to do some research?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
most of what I know is just from experience, and some figuring out why I don't like some headphones but do like others...but yeah sure, shoot me a PM later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.