Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Nam Pla
macrumors member

Country of Sale Targeted Ads?

I recently purchased a used 4s from a friend. His phone was originally purchased in Germany.

When I received the phone, he had wiped out all his settings and data, and I restored it with USA settings, my apps and data, and changed it to English language. But now I notice that the few apps I have that show ads are all in German and from German businesses.

Of course ads are a nuisance anyway in any language, but just wondering if there's something I neglected to change over when I set up the phone. Or does it rely on some embedded info that shows where the phone was originally purchased?
Nam Pla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Nothing you can do.
Some ad companies use the UDID number of the phone to identify it and display the advertising content. Even if you wipe it and setup as new they still have it tied in to the previous original owner.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:41 AM   #3
Nam Pla
macrumors member

Hah! Amazing how these marketers find a way to track your ass down wherever and whenever.

I guess big brother IS watching. Or in this case, grossen bruder!
Nam Pla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I hear you, it's crazy
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting