Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

View Poll Results: Do you like iTunes 11?
I Love It 281 68.37%
I Hate It! > 88 21.41%
I havent upgraded yet 41 9.98%
My computer doesn't support iTunes 11 1 0.24%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:18 PM   #176
OGmaC
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkermit View Post
You don't even know whether I like the latest version or not. I certainly don't have a 'cause'. I'm just pointing out that including choices in the poll that allow respondents to vote without actually giving out an opinion about iTunes 11 negatively influences the percentages for the other choices. Imagine if 'I use Winamp' had been a choice and 50% had responded with that answer. Would that then mean that iTunes 11 has a satisfaction rating of below 50% ?! I don't think so.
i agree, you'd be better off sticking with Winamp. and i'll wait for the next update before i decide on downgrade rigmarole.
OGmaC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:27 PM   #177
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040
 
Mackilroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
I represent and respect the TRUE mac ideal, which is intuitive interfaces, easy to use software and generally low maintenance, fun, easy to use hardware and software.
So you and only you represent this, eh?

In regards to some of your other comments, I have a library vastly larger than 100 songs, and iTunes is easy to use, quite intuitive, low maintenance, and it runs very quickly. Not had a single issue since installation on either of two computers.
__________________
Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable.
Mackilroy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:13 PM   #178
OGmaC
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackilroy View Post
So you and only you represent this, eh?

In regards to some of your other comments, I have a library vastly larger than 100 songs, and iTunes is easy to use, quite intuitive, low maintenance, and it runs very quickly. Not had a single issue since installation on either of two computers.
that doesn't mean you aren't clueless. see how tautologies work? no global setting honored = BETA!
OGmaC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:44 PM   #179
Murgatroyd314
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Loathe it. Two weeks ago, I could play any movie or TV show in my library using Quicktime Player 7 (imho the best video player ever made). Now movies give me the error "This application cannot be used to play [name of movie]", and TV shows give no error and no video or audio.
Murgatroyd314 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:13 PM   #180
OGmaC
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgatroyd314 View Post
Loathe it. Two weeks ago, I could play any movie or TV show in my library using Quicktime Player 7 (imho the best video player ever made). Now movies give me the error "This application cannot be used to play [name of movie]", and TV shows give no error and no video or audio.
thank you for adding to the hate roll call.

iTunes11 is NOT a final release despite the lame-brain Tim Cook et. al. claiming it is. we are suffering from another beta release from Apple.

keep the honest criticisms coming please.
OGmaC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:02 PM   #181
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040
 
Mackilroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGmaC View Post
that doesn't mean you aren't clueless. see how tautologies work? no global setting honored = BETA!
While something you enjoy no longer being present is annoying, yes, that doesn't equate to beta status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgatroyd314 View Post
Loathe it. Two weeks ago, I could play any movie or TV show in my library using Quicktime Player 7 (imho the best video player ever made). Now movies give me the error "This application cannot be used to play [name of movie]", and TV shows give no error and no video or audio.
Have you reported this to Apple? Have you tried finding a solution (or solving the problem on your own)? Have you done anything to actually solve your problem? I'd suggest leaving some feedback here if you want to be constructive.

IMHO your first response should be to find or create a solution, and give Apple feedback so they know someone has had an problem.
__________________
Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable.
Mackilroy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:17 PM   #182
mackandproud
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkermit View Post
It only makes sense to count people who've actually tried iTunes 11. So if you exclude the people who responded to the poll by saying they haven't even upgraded to iTunes 11, you get a satisfaction rating of (currently) 76%
LOL, the poll is closed and people who hate this POS can't vote any longer.

It's pretty stupid to consider this so-called vote in any way a validation of 11.
mackandproud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:42 AM   #183
finepiks
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Absolutely horrible . Every time I open it it crashes after 5 minutes for no apparent reason on early 2011 MBP (crash logs seem to indicate a codec problem). GUI looks cheap and tacky and more like freeware windows apps. For the 5 minutes or so it would work I did notice that it was quicker and less stuttery when scrolling through a large collection but now have reverted back to 10.7 and much happier as it's stable.

Incidentally the Submit iTunes Feedback form only goes up to v10.6.3 in the select which version of iTunes you are using drop down!!
finepiks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:40 AM   #184
kaldezar
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
it's so fast! I cannot even see the "bounce" effect.

i7 2011 air, 40gb library.

and it's beautiful!

(it looks like it's still very slow on windows... but who cares..)
Try it when you have a 160gb library, it's a POS! and thats on a 2011 imac 3.4ghz,24gb RAM, 2GB video! I'd hate to think what it's like on a slower machine!
kaldezar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:41 AM   #185
psg2000
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
keeps freezing.

very counter intuitive

I rarely had to use the "force quit" before on any application but having to each time this is used.

Even leaving it for an hour or two I still have the revolving rainbow ball of W.A.I.T.I.N.G...

dreadful. truly dreadful.
psg2000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:01 AM   #186
tkermit
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Just to provide another data point: I have a 350GB library with ~11000 music files and a few hundred movies,TV episodes, iTunes U items, podcasts and apps, and I have no issues with the speed of the application at all. If anything, it's slightly faster than iTunes 10.

The dropdown search works instantaneously. I suppose the speed of the filtering of results in the main window (after pressing 'Enter') could be slightly improved, but I had issues with that in previous versions as well, especially when the column browser was visible. I certainly don't get any beach balls or anything like that. And no other noteworthy slowdowns when using the app at all (maybe with one exception being Metadata editing, which I feel should be a bit faster).

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm on an SSD (Fusion setup). I'm not using the latest hardware either (C2D MBP). I feel like the app is still riddled with bugs, I miss the cover art in list view a bit and I wish the album view was somewhat more configurable, but speed isn't among my complaints. I'm on 10.8.2 by the way.

I love the improved search – especially the fact that it shows playlists (smart playlists for your most listened to composers for example), too – and the new mini player.
__________________
___🏃_
tkermit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:11 PM   #187
kdum8
macrumors 6502a
 
kdum8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kyoto, Japan
I like the new iTunes. It has been made easier to use and I am rediscovering music I hadn't listened to for years because of the "Up Next" feature.

So for me at least, it's been a good update.
__________________
15" MBP 4.1, 2.5 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM 750GB HD, OS 10.8.3 - iPad 3. iOS 6.1.3 - iPad Nano 6G.
Have a question? First run a search!
kdum8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:25 PM   #188
Planky
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Sunny Isle of Wight
I have my iTunes playing on a mac mini hooked up to my HiFi and control what I want playing using Remote on my iPhone.

If I choose an artist then an album to play it will play the album, but at the end of that album it goes on to play the next album sorted alphabetically by album title and son on until there are no more albums by that artist. Whereas before it would just play the one album then stop.

To get iTunes 11 to only play one album I now have launch Remote to got More then Select Albums then have to search through the 1541 (yup!) albums to find the one I want to play.

So I am not liking iTunes 11.
Planky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:39 PM   #189
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040
 
Mackilroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by finepiks View Post
Incidentally the Submit iTunes Feedback form only goes up to v10.6.3 in the select which version of iTunes you are using drop down!!
Are you using the link in my previous post? I see an option for iTunes 11:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-12-09 at 12.37.53 PM.png
Views:	6
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	382502  
__________________
Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable.
Mackilroy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:53 PM   #190
Yujenisis
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2002
Send a message via AIM to Yujenisis
My immediate reaction was pure Internet-style rage with iTunes 11.

But I was able to alleviate my frustrations by doing the following:
View > Show Status Bar
View > Show Sidebar

Oh, yes that's so much better. And they brought back colored sidebar icons that they killed in iTunes 10.

I actually prefer it now to iTunes 10, especially with significant enhancements made to iTunes Match.
Yujenisis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:29 PM   #191
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by finepiks View Post
Incidentally the Submit iTunes Feedback form only goes up to v10.6.3 in the select which version of iTunes you are using drop down!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackilroy View Post
Are you using the link in my previous post? I see an option for iTunes 11:
I sent six bug reports to Apple. In five of them, I added that you couldn't select iTunes 11. In the last one, it had been added. You may notice that you still can't select iTunes 10.7.
gnasher729 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:14 PM   #192
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040
 
Mackilroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
I sent six bug reports to Apple. In five of them, I added that you couldn't select iTunes 11. In the last one, it had been added. You may notice that you still can't select iTunes 10.7.
Good on you for actually using the feedback option. Even before finepiks posted about it I saw the option to report for iTunes 11, however.
__________________
Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable.
Mackilroy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:32 PM   #193
jon3543
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldezar View Post
Try it when you have a 160gb library, it's a POS! and thats on a 2011 imac 3.4ghz,24gb RAM, 2GB video! I'd hate to think what it's like on a slower machine!
The Specs: i5 750 (4 cores, 2.67 GHz), 12 GB RAM, Windows 7 x64, iTunes library on boot drive SSD, all content on 5400 RPM WD Green drive, 486 GB library, 28000+ songs.

The Comparison: So my library is 3x the size of yours, and my machine is slower with half the RAM, and it's running Windows, which everyone knows is a POS, because iTunes is designed for the Mac and is nothing less than virus bloatware on Windows, and it sucks, hard, by definition, right?

The Reality: iTunes 11 freaking flies. I am seriously impressed at how fast this thing is, from starting up to moving around in the UI. It is better than iTunes 10, which was no slouch itself. For comparison purposes, iTunes 10 was much, MUCH faster than the Zune software, and it was perfectly usable, unlike the Zune software, which was downright miserable. iTunes 11 is even better than 10.

The Conclusion: The iTunes bashers all have nicked chamfering on their iPhones, which spontaneously bend while held gently in the hand, and the only question is, which will they return more often in the first week, their iPhones or iPads?
jon3543 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:02 PM   #194
OGmaC
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackilroy View Post
While something you enjoy no longer being present is annoying, yes, that doesn't equate to beta status.


Have you reported this to Apple? Have you tried finding a solution (or solving the problem on your own)? Have you done anything to actually solve your problem? I'd suggest leaving some feedback here if you want to be constructive.

IMHO your first response should be to find or create a solution, and give Apple feedback so they know someone has had an problem.
I am not a ****ing BETA TESTER! Maybe if Apple gives one 20% off, then sure why not. Having typed that, yes I did send some feedback and an email directly to that hack Tim Cook, because I use iTunes a lot and I'm just that kind of magnanimous guy.

iTunes11 is BETA. No argument can disprove this. No minimize window feature (other than button) means BETA. Omitting global settings = BETA. All the other features that could be invoked via preferences were. I am not a newb and could school most of you here asking inane basic questions without first pouring over the settings = lots of retarded users up in here.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon3543 View Post
The Specs: i5 750 (4 cores, 2.67 GHz), 12 GB RAM, Windows 7 x64, iTunes library on boot drive SSD, all content on 5400 RPM WD Green drive, 486 GB library, 28000+ songs.

The Comparison: So my library is 3x the size of yours, and my machine is slower with half the RAM, and it's running Windows, which everyone knows is a POS, because iTunes is designed for the Mac and is nothing less than virus bloatware on Windows, and it sucks, hard, by definition, right?

The Reality: iTunes 11 freaking flies. I am seriously impressed at how fast this thing is, from starting up to moving around in the UI. It is better than iTunes 10, which was no slouch itself. For comparison purposes, iTunes 10 was much, MUCH faster than the Zune software, and it was perfectly usable, unlike the Zune software, which was downright miserable. iTunes 11 is even better than 10.

The Conclusion: The iTunes bashers all have nicked chamfering on their iPhones, which spontaneously bend while held gently in the hand, and the only question is, which will they return more often in the first week, their iPhones or iPads?
Faster at expense of both useful and BASIC (global) features does not make this a non-beta release. also, have you attempted to do a search in the window? it all but dies using this feature and all other typed searches are deathly slow. searches that on iTunes10 were fast, seamless and INTUITIVE.

I guess if you can SUPER-SIZE IT and MAKE IT FASTER, it must mean it is better. Status quo idiocy and LCD power(less) users!

Steve Jobs passing is being felt with every release.
OGmaC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:53 PM   #195
jon3543
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGmaC View Post
Faster at expense of both useful and BASIC (global) features does not make this a non-beta release.
What's missing? "Find duplicates?" Album art in "songs" view? Despite having a rather massive music collection, I've never used the former, as I've had absolutely no need for it, and while the Column Browser was my main view in the 2 years I've been using iTunes, I'm liking the new Artists view quite a bit and need to go into Column Browser only for a couple of very specific reasons. I understand some people liked to arrange the columns on the side, but I never wanted that because I want to view a lot of metadata, and columns-on-the-side would ruin that. I do mind they removed the artwork from this view along with the separation between albums in the song list, but again, I don't really need to use this view much anymore, and it didn't take me long to get over it.

BTW, I don't see how these features were sacrificed to increase speed, and their absence is certainly irrelevant to it being beta or not.

Quote:
also, have you attempted to do a search in the window? it all but dies using this feature and all other typed searches are deathly slow. searches that on iTunes10 were fast, seamless and INTUITIVE.
I'm not sure how it's less "intuitive", but I don't use search very often in iTunes. I just tried it for the first time in iTunes 11, and it took about 2 sec to narrow down a 4 letter search term in my rather large library. Could be better, but doesn't seem "deathly slow" to me. And I was able to figure it out without thinking, so I'd say it's completely intuitive.

Quote:
I guess if you can SUPER-SIZE IT and MAKE IT FASTER, it must mean it is better. Status quo idiocy and LCD power(less) users!
Makes zero sense.

Quote:
Steve Jobs passing is being felt with every release.
And while he was alive, everything you didn't like was due to his reality distortion field.

Based on your comments, I'd guess your iPhone is bent 15 degrees.
jon3543 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:52 PM   #196
Murgatroyd314
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackilroy View Post
Have you reported this to Apple? Have you tried finding a solution (or solving the problem on your own)? Have you done anything to actually solve your problem? I'd suggest leaving some feedback here if you want to be constructive.

IMHO your first response should be to find or create a solution, and give Apple feedback so they know someone has had an problem.
I've left feedback both there and for Quicktime. I've tried the usual basics (quitting and relaunching everything involved, cold reboot, etc) without any success, and haven't found any indications of what else I could do to solve it.
Murgatroyd314 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:15 PM   #197
finepiks
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackilroy View Post
Are you using the link in my previous post? I see an option for iTunes 11:
Well well, it wasn't an option on Saturday night here!! Not sure that it mattered too much anyway as the title of my feedback was "iTunes 11 constant crashing" but perhaps it shows someone is paying attention!!
finepiks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:05 AM   #198
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040
 
Mackilroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGmaC View Post
iTunes11 is BETA. No argument can disprove this. No minimize window feature (other than button) means BETA. Omitting global settings = BETA. All the other features that could be invoked via preferences were. I am not a newb and could school most of you here asking inane basic questions without first pouring over the settings = lots of retarded users up in here.
Your opinion of it does not make it beta. You can call it whatever you like, but that doesn't make you right. Also, I take it you've forgotten command-M. If you're really not a newb, wouldn't that have occurred to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGmaC View Post
also, have you attempted to do a search in the window? it all but dies using this feature and all other typed searches are deathly slow. searches that on iTunes10 were fast, seamless and INTUITIVE.
Funny, searches are extremely fast even on my old 2006 MacBook. Granted, it's only about 50GB, but my desktop library is around 200GB and searches are still fast.

Tell me, what about the search feature is unintuitive? Where it is? How to type? Are you just throwing out words to make your argument seem more 'right'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgatroyd314 View Post
I've left feedback both there and for Quicktime. I've tried the usual basics (quitting and relaunching everything involved, cold reboot, etc) without any success, and haven't found any indications of what else I could do to solve it.
Fair enough. Maybe try resetting your PRAM? Reinstall iTunes or Quicktime?
__________________
Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable.
Mackilroy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:15 AM   #199
Porco
macrumors 68000
 
Porco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by finepiks View Post
Well well, it wasn't an option on Saturday night here!! Not sure that it mattered too much anyway as the title of my feedback was "iTunes 11 constant crashing" but perhaps it shows someone is paying attention!!
Yeah, the iTunes 11 option wasn't there for me when I left feedback either (within a few days of release). I've seen instances of version numbers not being up to date on the feedback pages numerous times before, iTunes is by no means the only thing. You'd think they could automate it really.
__________________
I really wish Apple would use the option key a little more, and the command key a little less.
*soundcloud/fdporco*
Porco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:52 AM   #200
OGmaC
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Agreed. 11 is Beta at best. The above replies are moronic (e.g. command-M). I guess taking out a global feature but leaving in yellow min button or command-M is okay? If Jobs were around you think he'd say, "yeah it's okay we've forgotten some basic functionality..." Jobs would tell Cook et. al., "you ****ing morons get to work and make it right!"

I'm not even going to get into all the other missteps of this beta release.

Just like last time when Jobs wasn't around, the inept have taken over the company and they will do their very best, but it will never be enough...as evidenced by Maps, iTunes11 and some basic aesthetic missteps in iOS. remember folks: apple is co predicated on aesthetics = GUI/ease of use/functionality.

PS to the member that claims search is acceptable in terms of speed -- i have a 43k song library on a NAS and in iTunes10 search would be INSTANTANEOUS whereas now it is deathly slow. Perhaps there is a caching indexing glitch in iTunes11 = BETA RELEASE!

Last edited by dejo; Dec 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Removed name-calling.
OGmaC is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS 7: Everything is new, with good and bad Apple blogger iOS 7 15 Sep 12, 2013 09:08 AM
Are you a good customer or a bad one? G51989 Community Discussion 43 Aug 26, 2013 05:49 PM
Siri: Good and Bad Vertigo50 iOS 7 12 Jun 13, 2013 01:50 AM
iPhone: BatteryDoctorPro... Good or Bad? bLaZ3n Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 13 May 1, 2013 01:58 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC