Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BilbooToo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Hi,

Finally taken the plunge and moved from Windows to Apple, with the delivery today of a Mac Mini.

Pleased with the purchase and just setting everything up, plus getting use to the kit.

I want to move over my iTunes database from the PC to Mac, however the library is held on a Synology DS213+ NAS.

Any ideas on the best way to go about this?

Thanks in advance.

John.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Hi,

Finally taken the plunge and moved from Windows to Apple, with the delivery today of a Mac Mini.

Pleased with the purchase and just setting everything up, plus getting use to the kit.

I want to move over my iTunes database from the PC to Mac, however the library is held on a Synology DS213+ NAS.

Any ideas on the best way to go about this?

Thanks in advance.

John.

I just went through this myself...the easiest way is simply to drag and drop the iTunes folder on the music icon is iTunes in OSX...though I did have other issues this part worked flawlessly...

BilbooToo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Hi JoelBC,

Thanks for the response.

Just to be clear, I point iTunes on the Mac to the same folder on the NAS as the PC iTunes, then just drag the files from the folder into the Mac iTunes?

What were the issues you experienced?

Thanks again

John

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Hi JoelBC,

Thanks for the response.

Just to be clear, I point iTunes on the Mac to the same folder on the NAS as the PC iTunes, then just drag the files from the folder into the Mac iTunes?

What were the issues you experienced?

Thanks again

John

Careful here...the simplest thing to do assuming that you want to leave all of your music on the NAS is to:

1. Preference --> Advanced --> Point iTunes to your NAS folder.

2. File --> Add to Library....this will create the necessary links within iTunes so that your music shows up in iTunes...this is one of the ways in which iTunes for OS X differs from iTunes for Windows as in windows this step is NOT necessary.

Hope this helps...

Joel

BilbooToo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Hi Joel,

Just been trying yours suggestion but having a few problems.

On my PC the iTunes pointer to the music database looks something like...

//DiskStation/music

However when I point iTunes on the Mac to the same place it shows...

//Volumes/music

No music can be found, and can't seem to change the pointer to match the PC.

Any ideas?

Thanks
John.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
From windows to mac is a little tricky. If it's from mac to mac it is whole lot easier.

I have my iTunes library in my Synology 1812+. This is what I suggest you do.

If you have spare storage on your NAS that is at least as large as your iTunes library, create another new folder for a new iTunes media folder and start from scratch.

Point iTunes to the new iTunes media location, and consolidate and add the old media location to the new library. This way you ensure the the iTunes library file is fully updated, and all files are managed. After you have done this, you can delete the older iTunes folder.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Hi Joel,

Just been trying yours suggestion but having a few problems.

On my PC the iTunes pointer to the music database looks something like...

//DiskStation/music

However when I point iTunes on the Mac to the same place it shows...

//Volumes/music

No music can be found, and can't seem to change the pointer to match the PC.

Any ideas?

Thanks
John.

John:

Sorry to hear that you are having problems as I know how frustrating this can be....I would suggest the following which has always worked for me...

1. On your Mac delete the folder USER/ITUNES as it is not needed...

2. Restart your Mac

3. Mount your NAS share that contains your music

4. While holding down the OPTION key start iTunes...it will prompt you for a library...point towards your NAS drive and all should be good other than some of the cover art will not be imported which is a known bug with iTunes 11

Let me know how this works...

Joel

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Joel, how does one mount the NAS drive on a mac? Assuming it's not like Windows.

Mounting a NAS drive is the equivalent of connecting the network drive / share in Windows [i.e. the Windows equivalent of File manager | Tools | Map Network Drive | Specify Drive letter and Share Name]...

OS X process is Finder | Go (from the menu bar) | Connect to Server (i.e. will be in the form of smb://server name/share name where server name could also be the IP address) and voila...

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
Mounting a NAS drive is the equivalent of connecting the network drive / share in Windows [i.e. the Windows equivalent of File manager | Tools | Map Network Drive | Specify Drive letter and Share Name]...

OS X process is Finder | Go (from the menu bar) | Connect to Server (i.e. will be in the form of smb://server name/share name where server name could also be the IP address) and voila...

OK I've done this but when I option open iTunes and try select the library now on the NAS drive it says it's locked....?

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
OK I've done this but when I option open iTunes and try select the library now on the NAS drive it says it's locked....?

The only thing that I can think of is that the iTunes library is being accessed by another device or user...I would suggest making sure that no other devices or users are connected and then try again...

HOiYA

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
Permission errors after moving library to NAS?

I also have been trying to move my iTunes library to the Synology NAS. I have all the files copied over and have changed the location of the media library to point to the NAS (in the advanced tab of the preferences).

The error I am seeing is that iTunes cannot write to the NAS location: The iTuned Library cannot be saved. You do not have privilege to make changes.

I've tried chmod the NAS dir to 777 and still get the same error. Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.