Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
After posting my last video I had a lot of requests for other color variations like Black screen with a white body and black buttons etc... Here they are. Let me know what your favs are or if you think it's best to keep them the way they are.

Last edited:

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Wow, the dismantling part look quite difficult and looks like you spent quite some time on it.

I like the color of the white aluminium and black glass. Gives a nice feel. If only Apple sells one of these. You consider helping people to mod their iPhones?

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Wow, the dismantling part look quite difficult and looks like you spent quite some time on it.

I like the color of the white aluminium and black glass. Gives a nice feel. If only Apple sells one of these. You consider helping people to mod their iPhones?

I do help people locally to mod their phones. I this is the first iPhone 5 mod. People are concerned about their warranties so it's not typical to start doing mods for several months after a release of a phone.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Nice work, I actually think many people would have taken a "black" iPhone 5 with the bare aluminium casework as you've partly done here, I know it's what I wanted. I would have just gone the whole way with the front glass panel too.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Nice work, I actually think many people would have taken a "black" iPhone 5 with the bare aluminium casework as you've partly done here, I know it's what I wanted. I would have just gone the whole way with the front glass panel too.

thanks man. I have the front glass if I ever decide to go with an all black front panel. I just didn't want to go too overboard with the black.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
thanks man. I have the front glass if I ever decide to go with an all black front panel. I just didn't want to go too overboard with the black.

Yeah, I know what you mean :) I usually prefer black on the front as it's less distracting from the screen but the overall "stealth" design on the iPhone 5 is a bit too bare for me. I definitely prefer the look of the white.

I had a similar problem designing some speakers recently which were all black and uninteresting so I mixed gloss lacquer with rubber front and just a little steel trim to liven it up a bit! :D These

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Congratulations on an original and interesting thread - nice video too!

It stands out from the myriad of useless threads we have to struggle through. :)

Duwsh

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
If I did this I would have only swapped the glass parts, I do like it but wouldn't use it over the normal black or white ones.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Yeah, I know what you mean :) I usually prefer black on the front as it's less distracting from the screen but the overall "stealth" design on the iPhone 5 is a bit too bare for me. I definitely prefer the look of the white.

I had a similar problem designing some speakers recently which were all black and uninteresting so I mixed gloss lacquer with rubber front and just a little steel trim to liven it up a bit! :D These

If those speakers sound half as good as they look... Geez very nice. You designed those?

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012

not to mention making the video and posting it to youtube.

oh and that phone is BUTT UGLY now. the subtle color shifts of the white and black iphone make it look classy

MetzoPaino

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
So you should also have a black & white iPhone to go with your white & black one? I'd like to see that one too.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
If those speakers sound half as good as they look... Geez very nice. You designed those?

Yeah, cheers for that! :) I'm the Brand Manager so I do most things nowadays, was always disappointed with agencies' design efforts so started doing them myself a year or two back, still many ranges to update though! :) Is fun but hard work at times... Still I doubt I could pull my iPhone 5 apart without ruining it!

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
While all of you were discussing the perks and drawbacks of white/black iPhone 5's I was busy making a white and black iPhone 5, the best of both worlds. What do you think?

YouTube: video

Wow no way I could have had the patients and ability to do that without a lot of "coffee" lol.

Good job. I would like to see a black iPhone 5 back with white plates just outta curiosity.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Yeah, cheers for that! :) I'm the Brand Manager so I do most things nowadays, was always disappointed with agencies' design efforts so started doing them myself a year or two back, still many ranges to update though! :) Is fun but hard work at times... Still I doubt I could pull my iPhone 5 apart without ruining it!

If you're gonna do something right you have to do it yourself...

Yeah, I've fully disassembled hundreds of iPhones but this was my first full disassembly of an iPhone 5 though. I was glad to see everything worked when it put them back together.

----------

So you should also have a black & white iPhone to go with your white & black one? I'd like to see that one too.

The black and white one looks fine, the homebutton looks a little silly being white but I plan to buy a black one and throw it on. I'll throw some pics on when I get a chance.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I'm as impressed by your courage as by your taste!

I couldn't even see those little screws inside the iPhone, and if I took them out somehow, half of them would end up lost in the carpeting.

Nice job. :D

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
not to mention making the video and posting it to youtube.

oh and that phone is BUTT UGLY now. the subtle color shifts of the white and black iphone make it look classy

I've always appreciated the subtle yet aggressive look of white with black details. Not a huge fan of white and chrome. But that's what modding is all about... making it look however makes you happy.

----------

If I did this I would have only swapped the glass parts, I do like it but wouldn't use it over the normal black or white ones.

Yeah the normal black and white look great... I love them both. But I also love unique and tearing things apart.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Very nice.

Much better than years ago when people started showing off their red iPhone4's.

Thanks, I actually really liked the red iPhone 4's over most the other colors. The worst in my opinion, I have had a few people request hunting camo. As if it will somehow make it less visible to deer when you are hunting talking on the phone... :confused:

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
I'm as impressed by your courage as by your taste!

I couldn't even see those little screws inside the iPhone, and if I took them out somehow, half of them would end up lost in the carpeting.

Nice job. :D

Thank you. And notice the tackle bins in front of me in the vid, I have to have them to help keep track of all the screws. There is nothing worse than losing a screw in the carpet!

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Looks better than I expected. I like how the power and volume buttons are still black. Have you considered making a white one with the slate antenna band and back?

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
There are plenty of iPhone 5 mods, slightly less subtle than this but they're out there nonetheless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.