Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:57 AM   #51
kiltedthrower
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
What I love about my Note is I can use it as a clubbing weapon on all those people laughing at me.
kiltedthrower is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:04 AM   #52
nick_elt
macrumors 68000
 
nick_elt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I thought the Dell Streak 5 was the first tablet/phone that came out in 2010.

Heard of it?
I have never seen any Dell phones here in Europe or back in nz.
__________________
White Macbook, 2012 Macbook air 13", titanium grey galaxy note 2, ipad 3rd gen, apple tv 3
nick_elt is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:13 PM   #53
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
These back and forth retorts are really lame guys. Put the handbags away yeah?
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:41 PM   #54
einmusiker
macrumors 68020
 
einmusiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Location: Location:
who actually holds cell phones to their ears anymore??? cancer much? how archaic
__________________
I <3 Macbook pro, I <3 GoOgle Voice, I <3 my Android phone.
waiting for the shtuff to hit the fan when people start using tons of data on LTE :Popping popcorn:
einmusiker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:08 AM   #55
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bombay View Post
4.8 inches is the sweet spot
Whatever you say buddy....
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:12 AM   #56
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I have a hard time believing there are people so shallow with such incredibly boring sense of humors they'd laugh at someone because they think their phone is too big. Not only does that person need to get I life I seriously doubt their opinion holds much weight in the real world....

"Whats so funny?" "Did you see the size of that guys phone?!", hard for me to type without rolling my eyes.

Personally the note size phone or larger are to big for me to keep on me all day. I'm a bit to active at work to be keep it in my pocket, I'd probably break it.
cynics is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:17 AM   #57
stridemat
Moderator
 
stridemat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southampton, UK
MOD NOTE

We have removed a number of posts from this thread that had moved from discussion to general bickering / arguing.

This is your reminder.

Please review the Rules for Appropriate Debate before posting.
__________________
stridemat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:11 AM   #58
SomeDudeAsking
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerraAbs View Post
Dream on dude... Andriod sucks up the battery pretty good, and with that big of a screen, the charge will go like WHOOSH!!! :P
Ah, the Galaxy Note 2 has the largest screen out there for a smartphone and has tremendously good battery life. It beats every other phone out there except for the Razr Maxx.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:32 AM   #59
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Ah, the Galaxy Note 2 has the largest screen out there for a smartphone and has tremendously good battery life. It beats every other phone out there except for the Razr Maxx.
What capacity battery did Samsung include for the Note 2? I've heard people stating the bat life is quite incredible.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:02 AM   #60
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
I didn't...

I mean seriously, there has to be a dividing line between phone and tablet, and I'm pretty sure this crosses it. It's just not practical, and I have a hard time believing this will sell, and people won't return it.
There doesn't have to be a dividing line. That's basically the mistake. These companies are just testing the market. When it hits the point of too big to sell, they'll back off. People said the same thing you're saying right now about the Note. Obviously it didn't outsell the iphone or the SIII, but that's not a requirement to be a successful product.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:42 AM   #61
steviewhy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
What capacity battery did Samsung include for the Note 2? I've heard people stating the bat life is quite incredible.
3100 mAh.

My battery experience on the Note II:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviewhy View Post
Yesterday was my first full day with the phone and I tried to kill the battery to no avail. After 16.5 hours and almost 9 hours of screen on time I still had 16% of the battery charge left.
steviewhy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:30 AM   #62
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviewhy View Post
3100 mAh.

My battery experience on the Note II:
3100 mAh is A LOT of battery. Well, for a really large screen, so no surprise there.

Lol, one of the rare times I hear people trying to kill their smartphone battery to no avail. Streaming YouTube videos over cellular drains the most battery in most cases.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:20 AM   #63
SomeDudeAsking
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Revealed: 6.1 inch 1080p Huawei Ascend Mate





http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/23/h...nd-mate-tease/

Still looks like a phone that can be pocketed even though it has a 6.1 inch screen. These pictures make it look bigger than it actually is. There is a video in that Engadget link showing someone playing a video on the Ascend Mate's screen while holding it and it looks normal size to me.

But I am disappointed with the amount of bezel on the Ascend Mate. Surely they could have gotten rid of much of the bottom bezel seeing as how there are no physical buttons there. And it would look much more impressive if they could have slimmed down the other bezel areas in exchange for a bit of extra thickness. The quest for a true edge to edge screen phone goes on.

I don't know if this will be sold in North America since it seems like it is targeted for the Chinese market. I'm curious as to how Samsung will design it's 6+ inch Galaxy Note 3.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:52 AM   #64
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Like the Note II, I'd have to handle and play with one in person to decide whether the phone is to large. Can't wait to see some side by side comparisons between these two.
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:04 AM   #65
Eddie Bombay
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Huawei is a garbage brand no thanks.
__________________
Samsung Series 9 11.6" Notebook | Galaxy S III | Asus Transformer Prime
Apple TV 2nd Gen | iPod Touch 4th Gen
64GB iPad Mini | iPad 2 - 32GB AT&T
Eddie Bombay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:22 AM   #66
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Image

Image

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/23/h...nd-mate-tease/

Still looks like a phone that can be pocketed even though it has a 6.1 inch screen. These pictures make it look bigger than it actually is. There is a video in that Engadget link showing someone playing a video on the Ascend Mate's screen while holding it and it looks normal size to me.

But I am disappointed with the amount of bezel on the Ascend Mate. Surely they could have gotten rid of much of the bottom bezel seeing as how there are no physical buttons there. And it would look much more impressive if they could have slimmed down the other bezel areas in exchange for a bit of extra thickness. The quest for a true edge to edge screen phone goes on.

I don't know if this will be sold in North America since it seems like it is targeted for the Chinese market. I'm curious as to how Samsung will design it's 6+ inch Galaxy Note 3.
I'm waiting for an edge-to-edge, near border less display on a phone too. Is there some technical hurdle for doing something like that, because I can't imagine why more phone makers aren't making super thin bezels.
zbarvian is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:27 AM   #67
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Well once it gets so big that you can no longer fit it in your pocket, it may as well be ten inches.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:33 AM   #68
RMXO
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Can't wait to see the rumored Galaxy Note 3 & hope its true. As much as they are charging for one, I might as get an all in one device.
__________________
Gaming i7 2600K | (Mid 2012) MacBook Pro 15" 2.7Ghz 16GB 750GB 650m | TMO Samsung Galaxy Note 3
RMXO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:43 AM   #69
Axious
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Somewhere in the world
Its going to be a tough fight between Note 3 and this. If Huawei wanted any attention i think they need to make it cheap or at least cheaper than the Note 3

Last edited by Axious; Dec 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Axious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:46 AM   #70
Lunfai
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
At least you can double it up as a weapon. (joking...)
Lunfai is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:13 PM   #71
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
I'm waiting for an edge-to-edge, near border less display on a phone too. Is there some technical hurdle for doing something like that, because I can't imagine why more phone makers aren't making super thin bezels.
The Nexus 4 is near borderless. The glass is curved directly at the bezel.
__________________
Thanks Steve for all of the awesome technology!
Proud owner of an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro, First gen 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 3, Apple TV, Prototype iPhone 5P, and numerous iPods.

Last edited by ChrisTX; Dec 23, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
ChrisTX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:59 PM   #72
3bs
macrumors 603
 
3bs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTX View Post
The Nexus 4 is near borderless. The glass is curved directly at the bezel.
But that's not really the screen going from edge to edge.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:00 PM   #73
tann
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nottingham, England
It is a giant phone! I fear that some manufacturers are forgetting that mobile phones need to be easily mobile. Looking at the picture on the right of this Engadget article it looks ridiculous.

I'm not saying that giant phones won't or don't work, because a lot of people enjoy the Note 2 and original note.

I just would love to see more manufacturers forgetting screen size for a minute (just using a good sized 4-4.7") and instead trying to build a phone that is (more pocketable), long lasting while remaining powerful, lightweight and thin.

Having said all of that I want to see what Samsung now does with the GSIV and Note 3. Especially the GSIV.
__________________
2013 13" MacBook Air i5/8GB/256GB || White 64GB iPhone 5 || 32GB Cellular Silver iPad rMini!
Follow me on Twitter!
tann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:14 AM   #74
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tann View Post
It is a giant phone! I fear that some manufacturers are forgetting that mobile phones need to be easily mobile. Looking at the picture on the right of this Engadget article it looks ridiculous.

I'm not saying that giant phones won't or don't work, because a lot of people enjoy the Note 2 and original note.

I just would love to see more manufacturers forgetting screen size for a minute (just using a good sized 4-4.7") and instead trying to build a phone that is (more pocketable), long lasting while remaining powerful, lightweight and thin.

Having said all of that I want to see what Samsung now does with the GSIV and Note 3. Especially the GSIV.
I think your point would hold more weight if Samsung didn't make multiple screen sizes from 3.7" to 6.1" on mobile devices. Its up to the consumer to pick the appropriate size mobile device, Samsung isn't forgetting a mobile device needs to be mobile....
cynics is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:51 AM   #75
bembol
macrumors 6502a
 
bembol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: iCloud
I saw this news on mobilesyrup. First time I heard of Huawei.
__________________
SHIFT_
27" iMac Late-2012 Base w/32GB RAM & 3TB Fusion | Black 32GB nexus 5 32GB Black iPad Air Wi-Fi
bembol is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC