Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:57 AM   #51
kiltedthrower
macrumors regular

What I love about my Note is I can use it as a clubbing weapon on all those people laughing at me.
kiltedthrower is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:04 AM   #52
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I thought the Dell Streak 5 was the first tablet/phone that came out in 2010.

Heard of it?
I have never seen any Dell phones here in Europe or back in nz.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:13 PM   #53
matttye
macrumors 601

These back and forth retorts are really lame guys. Put the handbags away yeah?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:41 PM   #54
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

who actually holds cell phones to their ears anymore??? cancer much? how archaic
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:08 AM   #55
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bombay View Post
4.8 inches is the sweet spot
Whatever you say buddy....
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:12 AM   #56
cynics
macrumors 603

I have a hard time believing there are people so shallow with such incredibly boring sense of humors they'd laugh at someone because they think their phone is too big. Not only does that person need to get I life I seriously doubt their opinion holds much weight in the real world....

"Whats so funny?" "Did you see the size of that guys phone?!", hard for me to type without rolling my eyes.

Personally the note size phone or larger are to big for me to keep on me all day. I'm a bit to active at work to be keep it in my pocket, I'd probably break it.
cynics is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:17 AM   #57
stridemat

MOD NOTE

We have removed a number of posts from this thread that had moved from discussion to general bickering / arguing.

This is your reminder.

Please review the Rules for Appropriate Debate before posting.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:11 AM   #58
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerraAbs View Post
Dream on dude... Andriod sucks up the battery pretty good, and with that big of a screen, the charge will go like WHOOSH!!! :P
Ah, the Galaxy Note 2 has the largest screen out there for a smartphone and has tremendously good battery life. It beats every other phone out there except for the Razr Maxx.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:32 AM   #59
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Ah, the Galaxy Note 2 has the largest screen out there for a smartphone and has tremendously good battery life. It beats every other phone out there except for the Razr Maxx.
What capacity battery did Samsung include for the Note 2? I've heard people stating the bat life is quite incredible.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:02 AM   #60
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
I didn't...

I mean seriously, there has to be a dividing line between phone and tablet, and I'm pretty sure this crosses it. It's just not practical, and I have a hard time believing this will sell, and people won't return it.
There doesn't have to be a dividing line. That's basically the mistake. These companies are just testing the market. When it hits the point of too big to sell, they'll back off. People said the same thing you're saying right now about the Note. Obviously it didn't outsell the iphone or the SIII, but that's not a requirement to be a successful product.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:42 AM   #61
steviewhy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
What capacity battery did Samsung include for the Note 2? I've heard people stating the bat life is quite incredible.
3100 mAh.

My battery experience on the Note II:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviewhy View Post
Yesterday was my first full day with the phone and I tried to kill the battery to no avail. After 16.5 hours and almost 9 hours of screen on time I still had 16% of the battery charge left.
steviewhy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:30 AM   #62
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviewhy View Post
3100 mAh.

My battery experience on the Note II:
3100 mAh is A LOT of battery. Well, for a really large screen, so no surprise there.

Lol, one of the rare times I hear people trying to kill their smartphone battery to no avail. Streaming YouTube videos over cellular drains the most battery in most cases.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:20 AM   #63
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Revealed: 6.1 inch 1080p Huawei Ascend Mate

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/23/h...nd-mate-tease/

Still looks like a phone that can be pocketed even though it has a 6.1 inch screen. These pictures make it look bigger than it actually is. There is a video in that Engadget link showing someone playing a video on the Ascend Mate's screen while holding it and it looks normal size to me.

But I am disappointed with the amount of bezel on the Ascend Mate. Surely they could have gotten rid of much of the bottom bezel seeing as how there are no physical buttons there. And it would look much more impressive if they could have slimmed down the other bezel areas in exchange for a bit of extra thickness. The quest for a true edge to edge screen phone goes on.

I don't know if this will be sold in North America since it seems like it is targeted for the Chinese market. I'm curious as to how Samsung will design it's 6+ inch Galaxy Note 3.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:52 AM   #64
F123D
macrumors 68040

Like the Note II, I'd have to handle and play with one in person to decide whether the phone is to large. Can't wait to see some side by side comparisons between these two.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:04 AM   #65
Eddie Bombay
macrumors 6502

Huawei is a garbage brand no thanks.
Eddie Bombay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:22 AM   #66
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/23/h...nd-mate-tease/

Still looks like a phone that can be pocketed even though it has a 6.1 inch screen. These pictures make it look bigger than it actually is. There is a video in that Engadget link showing someone playing a video on the Ascend Mate's screen while holding it and it looks normal size to me.

But I am disappointed with the amount of bezel on the Ascend Mate. Surely they could have gotten rid of much of the bottom bezel seeing as how there are no physical buttons there. And it would look much more impressive if they could have slimmed down the other bezel areas in exchange for a bit of extra thickness. The quest for a true edge to edge screen phone goes on.

I don't know if this will be sold in North America since it seems like it is targeted for the Chinese market. I'm curious as to how Samsung will design it's 6+ inch Galaxy Note 3.
I'm waiting for an edge-to-edge, near border less display on a phone too. Is there some technical hurdle for doing something like that, because I can't imagine why more phone makers aren't making super thin bezels.
zbarvian is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:27 AM   #67
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Well once it gets so big that you can no longer fit it in your pocket, it may as well be ten inches.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:33 AM   #68
RMXO
macrumors 6502a

Can't wait to see the rumored Galaxy Note 3 & hope its true. As much as they are charging for one, I might as get an all in one device.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:43 AM   #69
Axious
macrumors member

Its going to be a tough fight between Note 3 and this. If Huawei wanted any attention i think they need to make it cheap or at least cheaper than the Note 3

Last edited by Axious; Dec 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Axious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:46 AM   #70
Lunfai
macrumors 6502a

At least you can double it up as a weapon. (joking...)
Lunfai is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:13 PM   #71
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
I'm waiting for an edge-to-edge, near border less display on a phone too. Is there some technical hurdle for doing something like that, because I can't imagine why more phone makers aren't making super thin bezels.
The Nexus 4 is near borderless. The glass is curved directly at the bezel.

Last edited by ChrisTX; Dec 23, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
ChrisTX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:59 PM   #72
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTX View Post
The Nexus 4 is near borderless. The glass is curved directly at the bezel.
But that's not really the screen going from edge to edge.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:00 PM   #73
tann
macrumors 65816

It is a giant phone! I fear that some manufacturers are forgetting that mobile phones need to be easily mobile. Looking at the picture on the right of this Engadget article it looks ridiculous.

I'm not saying that giant phones won't or don't work, because a lot of people enjoy the Note 2 and original note.

I just would love to see more manufacturers forgetting screen size for a minute (just using a good sized 4-4.7") and instead trying to build a phone that is (more pocketable), long lasting while remaining powerful, lightweight and thin.

Having said all of that I want to see what Samsung now does with the GSIV and Note 3. Especially the GSIV.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:14 AM   #74
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by tann View Post
It is a giant phone! I fear that some manufacturers are forgetting that mobile phones need to be easily mobile. Looking at the picture on the right of this Engadget article it looks ridiculous.

I'm not saying that giant phones won't or don't work, because a lot of people enjoy the Note 2 and original note.

I just would love to see more manufacturers forgetting screen size for a minute (just using a good sized 4-4.7") and instead trying to build a phone that is (more pocketable), long lasting while remaining powerful, lightweight and thin.

Having said all of that I want to see what Samsung now does with the GSIV and Note 3. Especially the GSIV.
I think your point would hold more weight if Samsung didn't make multiple screen sizes from 3.7" to 6.1" on mobile devices. Its up to the consumer to pick the appropriate size mobile device, Samsung isn't forgetting a mobile device needs to be mobile....
cynics is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:51 AM   #75
bembol
macrumors 6502a

I saw this news on mobilesyrup. First time I heard of Huawei.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices