Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:20 AM   #1
mrbigglessworth
macrumors member

Question Surround sound on Win7 via Bootcamp...

My rMBP has been ordered and I am trying to gather knowledge and items to get things setup.

I have already ordered a mini toslink adaptor to plug into the end of my current toslink cable.

Does Windows 7 properly pass 5.1 sound using an appropriate application? Say if I have a movie running in VLC with the spdif / surround output enabled?
mrbigglessworth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:45 AM   #2
PaulKemp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigglessworth View Post
My rMBP has been ordered and I am trying to gather knowledge and items to get things setup.

I have already ordered a mini toslink adaptor to plug into the end of my current toslink cable.

Does Windows 7 properly pass 5.1 sound using an appropriate application? Say if I have a movie running in VLC with the spdif / surround output enabled?
In theory this is how should work. You get a 'digital sound' adapter in Windows when connection the toslink cable. I've tried enabling that in VLC under boot camp, but it didnt work for me. The sound stopped. Since i dont have a 5.1 setup connected, i didnt research further. However, I think you'll get this to work if you troubleshoot a little bit.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:22 AM   #3
mrbigglessworth
macrumors member

I'll know more on Wednesday. The rMBP is at Fedex now, but the delivery date isnt for 2 more days.
mrbigglessworth is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac