Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
If you've done it please let me know your experience. I'm worried about downtime or any problems like spam on iCloud. Gmail has been extremely reliable for me over the years.

I'm considering switching as I'd love to have a single account when I setup my devices. Right now I have 3 (Exchange for Push e-mail, iCloud for Reminders, Gmail for Notes) and I wish I could just have 1 as I'm sick of having it so confusing. Simplicity is what I'm trying to achieve. Tried getting Push working for Mail in OS X(for my Gmail account) and just wasted a few nights with no luck, it sort of worked but wasn't as reliable as it should be which has led me to consider switching completely over to only an iCloud e-mail.

I know there are other threads asking the same question but I wanted to ask it as of today, Dec. 2012 how the service is. I'm guessing over time the uptime gets better, the spam filtering gets better so what maybe wasn't that good 6-12 months ago could be pretty good today.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
There was a massive spam issue in the last month. In my time of using Apple mail since it was still .Mac, I have never seen that happen before. Downtime is a pretty big issue since iCloud came out sadly.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
ive been on @iCloud.com for about 3 weeks now and its fine. No difference really. No downtime that i have noticed and my email alter on my pc happens exactly the same time as it does on my iPhone which is pretty cool

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I"ve tried it....a couple of times. Never can stick with it. Here's why:

1.) Our family has a personal domain that we use for e-mail. Once they made the switch from MobileMe to iCloud they got rid of the ability to send from an external address. You can rig it up for the Mail app on the Mac and iOS devices, but if you want to send from a non-@me.com or a non-@icloud.com address from the web app, you're SOL.

2.) The fact that read status doesn't sync across iOS devices is just annoying. They finally got it where if you move a message to a folder or delete it (basically do anything that gets it out of the inbox) it will update the badge on iOS devices. But if you just go in the web app or on the Mail app on your Mac and read it.....nothing happens on the iOS devices.

3.) Service disruptions happen a bit too often for my liking. I don't do a ton of important stuff over e-mail, but it seems like every time I was waiting for an e-mail that I needed the service would have a hiccup.

4. The lack of access to the web app from iOS browsers. They either need to open up the full range of settings on iOS devices or open up access to the web app. They are pushing the "post-PC" era really hard, which is ironic since you need a PC in order to access most of the settings for Mail.

Everything else on iCloud works great (at least for me). Contacts, calendars, notes, reminders, backup....I really use almost every feature of it (I use MS Office.....so no go on Docs in the Cloud yet). Most of the service is great, but e-mail, arguably the most important feature, just isn't there yet for me. But everyone is different. If the points I laid out above don't bug you....then definitely give it some consideration. It's a very nice looking product (especially when you consider just how robotic Google Mail looks) and integrates well with Apple products.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
2.) The fact that read status doesn't sync across iOS devices is just annoying. They finally got it where if you move a message to a folder or delete it (basically do anything that gets it out of the inbox) it will update the badge on iOS devices. But if you just go in the web app or on the Mail app on your Mac and read it.....nothing happens on the iOS devices.

This would be very annoying considering its supposed to work as Push e-mail I thought. Actually this alone would possibly stop me from switching over, such a small thing but I can't stand when something that's supposed to work just doesn't.

Apothacarion

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2009
USA
I did not even know this had begun to occur. But yes, you can't just read it. You have to archive or delete it to update. Getting there but not quite yet. Still, there is no comparison to Gmail when it comes to reliability... even though it did go down today!

I so bad want to switch over to iCloud for my email, but with the read notifications not totally working correctly and lack of a good web app for the PC, I just can not do it. Nothing can beat Gmail's spam filters either.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
You have to archive or delete it to update.

Is this because of a bug/glitch or is this the way they designed it? Could it be they want us to treat our inboxes as more of a "deal with it later" mentality where if I'm done with the e-mail I archive or delete it. If I'm not done because I'll want to get back to it later, I don't archive or delete so that the read count still makes it look like I haven't dealt with the message. Or am I looking to far into it and in real life it's just dumb? :confused:

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011

This would be very annoying considering its supposed to work as Push e-mail I thought. Actually this alone would possibly stop me from switching over, such a small thing but I can't stand when something that's supposed to work just doesn't.

I did not even know this had begun to occur. But yes, you can't just read it. You have to archive or delete it to update. Getting there but not quite yet. Still, there is no comparison to Gmail when it comes to reliability... even though it did go down today!

I so bad want to switch over to iCloud for my email, but with the read notifications not totally working correctly and lack of a good web app for the PC, I just can not do it. Nothing can beat Gmail's spam filters either.

Weird... I haven't faced this issue...

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本

That's working very well for me; I'm still using me.com and have iCloud.com as alias mail. I also have multiple devices; all with iOS 6.0.1.
I agree that the badge don't get down itself once you read a mail on another device. But if I open the mail app it synchronize the read status with the current device. No complains here.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Weird... I haven't faced this issue...

So for example

You have 1 unread mail, the icon on osx & ios mail shows this
You read the mail on on your mac (or on icloud.com)

The badge then disappears from ios mail without you opening the app?

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
The problem with an "iCloud" email is that it's not really a fully independent email address. By this, I am talking exactly about the email address xxxxxxx@icloud.com

You see, Apple freely gives you (upon request) an email address from the @icloud.com server.

HOWEVER, that (@icloud.com) email address is actually DEPENDENT on your Apple ID address, which would be something like xxxxx@gmail.com or xxxxx@hotmail.com or xxxxxx@yahoo.com or xxxxx@japanmail.com

Your actual Apple ID cannot, must not, will not, absolutely DOES NOT look something like xxxxx@icloud.com (THIS IS A STUPID APPLE POLICY/LIMITATION)

When you log in, you are actually asked to type in your Apple ID address (like xxxxx@gmail.com) and also your Apple ID password. Once you've done that, then you can be directed to your @icloud.com mailboxes, etc.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I am certain that you cannot simply go to any SMTP email client and then type in xxxxx@icloud.com with a corresponding password linked directly to that icloud.com address. Has anyone been able to do this?

Below, I'm posting a screenshot of Apple's policy in HOW they allow you to choose a new Apple ID. Notice where Apple tells you that your Apple ID (which is a primary gateway email address to all Apple/iTunes/AppStore/iCloud services) must not use a domain owned by Apple?

Attachments

• Apple ID Definition.png
    Apple ID Definition.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 171

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Sounds like things have changed since I set my iCloud account up

I use my @mac.com address as the sign in (could of used the @me.com but I never used this one)

apart from iTunes apple id (created before MobilMe/iCloud) everything else is under an apple domain name for me

Glad I am not trying to join now if it doesn't work like this anymor

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
apart from iTunes apple id (created before MobilMe/iCloud) everything else is under an apple domain name for me

Glad I am not trying to join now if it doesn't work like this anymor

I took that screenshot about 1 month ago. So it reflects current Apple policy. And that policy clearly states that when choosing a new Apple ID, you must choose an email address/domain that is not owned or affiliated with Apple.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I took that screenshot about 1 month ago. So it reflects current Apple policy. And that policy clearly states that when choosing a new Apple ID, you must choose an email address/domain that is not owned or affiliated with Apple.

makes my head hurt trying to understad this

I am glad I stopped using (mostly) my mac/me/icloud email address, it used to be easy

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

It makes sense. All of the @mac/@me/@icloud addresses already designated as AppleIDs.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
So for example

You have 1 unread mail, the icon on osx & ios mail shows this
You read the mail on on your mac (or on icloud.com)

The badge then disappears from ios mail without you opening the app?

Yes very much... I have kept it on a 15 minute fetch interval... So if I get an email on the phone and i open icloud.com to check it the badge will disappear the next my phone fetches new email... i.e. 15 minutes later...

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Yes very much... I have kept it on a 15 minute fetch interval... So if I get an email on the phone and i open icloud.com to check it the badge will disappear the next my phone fetches new email... i.e. 15 minutes later...

Cheers, I think that explains why you have not seen it and others do, I assume most people use push email instead of fetch

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
I don't understand why you would Fetch iCloud e-mail, on both iOS and OS X it's by default set to push I thought. Unless you're using Outlook or some other client. I'm hoping to fully embrace iCloud and only use it on iOS, OS X and the rest of the time on iCloud.com.

My other concern is regarding the Apple ID. How stupid is it that I can't just fully ditch all my old e-mail providers and fully move into an iCloud address! I was hoping to convert my Apple ID from the Gmail address I currently have to my new iCloud one. Has anyone tried this? Sounds like you can't.

Still really uncertain if I should make the switch. Just would hate to do it and then have problems or be disappointed and have wasted all that time. The Apple ID thing is an issue plus the possible e-mail spam on top of the mail not being sync'ed properly between all the devices(this one to me is really annoying, this stuff should just work automatically, it's Push e-mail, no?). Damn :(

edit: They could have it that your Apple ID is different so that if your e-mail gets hacked people I guess can't go into a crazy spending spree because they have access to your Apple ID now maybe? Just a thought. Really the syncing is the big thing for me, anyone else confirm that it does NOT work for them between all their devices? (more devices, more problems it seems).

Last edited:

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Stick with Gmail for mail, contacts & calendar (whichever you use) and use iCloud for everything else

You already have Reminders on iCloud so that is sorted

If you have Gmail & iCloud setup in Mac Mail then copy/paste your notes from Gmail notes to iCloud notes, so that is your Notes sorted out

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Thats why I was confused about the above, I have 2 Apple ID's one like yours is a non apple domain one which I use for iTunes/App store

The other is my @mac.com (or my @me.com), when I migrated to iCloud it let me use either of these for my apple ID, so it seems odd that things have now changed

if you create an ID now, eg Joe.Bloggs@icloud.com, this should also be your apple id

one id for everything is a nice idea, personal preference for me is I like to have an email that is compatible on current/future devices for any manufacturer I choose, icloud is not very good on non apple products, whereas gmail works as exchange on others platforms

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
This whole Apple ID thing is messed up in my eyes. They really should allow us once to merge and clean up. I have for whatever reason four Apple IDs and really don't want to manage those anymore.

But I would never switch my primary email to .me or .icloud or .gmail. It makes me too depend on company marketing ideas.
I really prefer my own domain I know will always work (as long as I pay) plus I have more control about aliases etc.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Cheers, I think that explains why you have not seen it and others do, I assume most people use push email instead of fetch

Well that's news to me... I've been assuming only exchange supports push... Rest have to be fetched... Hmmm...

Maybe I'll try your issue and see if I'm facing it too...

In the meanwhile this might help you...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1269627/

OK I set it to push and it still works perfectly for me... I was at office using icloud.com... I tried this at home on my mac using both icloud.com and my mail client on my mac... I put my phone on poush for my icloud emaul... I sent an email from my gmail to my icloud account... I opened the mail client on my comp and read the email... Within a few seconds, or maybe 15-20 seconds the notification tag on the folder I have my mail app in disappeared...

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
OK I set it to push and it still works perfectly for me... I was at office using icloud.com... I tried this at home on my mac using both icloud.com and my mail client on my mac... I put my phone on poush for my icloud emaul... I sent an email from my gmail to my icloud account... I opened the mail client on my comp and read the email... Within a few seconds, or maybe 15-20 seconds the notification tag on the folder I have my mail app in disappeared...

I would love someone to do this test between an iPhone, iPad, and OS X (and maybe even iCloud.com) sending from each device and then seeing if all other devices update right away without having to go into the mail app which manually causes it to catch up. Some people say it works for them, some say it doesn't :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.