Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:22 PM   #76
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR1 View Post
Well I can certainly see the problem in his picture, no microscope needed. I think he should keep exchanging until he gets an unblemished product. Most companies sell blemished products at a discount, not a premium.
You can clearly see it because it's been blown up larger than actual size. Upon opening the image in a new window, it auto scaled to fit my screen (23" 1080p monitor) I couldn't see a damn thing on the device. I could just barely make out all the little silver marks on the bezel, but then again, even this auto scaled image is still larger than actual size on my screen. It wasn't until I viewed the actual size that I could see the piece of dust he was talking about. I don't know what it looks like in person, but I would doubt that it's visible hardly at all unless you're looking for it.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:38 PM   #77
burgundyyears
macrumors 6502

After 5 iPhones and 6 iPads, someone at the Apple Store really should have just apologized and said that Apple products do not meet your standards, we are sorry we are not able to help you, here is all your money back, and please do not return to an Apple store.

Really, my first condo cost $60k and I think even I spent less total on its purchase process than I think you have spent on your present quest for perfection.
burgundyyears is offline   6
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:46 PM   #78
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
You can clearly see it because it's been blown up larger than actual size. Upon opening the image in a new window, it auto scaled to fit my screen (23" 1080p monitor) I couldn't see a damn thing on the device. I could just barely make out all the little silver marks on the bezel, but then again, even this auto scaled image is still larger than actual size on my screen. It wasn't until I viewed the actual size that I could see the piece of dust he was talking about. I don't know what it looks like in person, but I would doubt that it's visible hardly at all unless you're looking for it.
Fair enough, I didn't realize the image was magnified. I still think if he is not happy he should return it.

For the record it wouldn't bother me, as no device that spends time around my kids stays pristine long anyway.
SeanR1 is offline   1
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:42 PM   #79
FrozenDarkness
macrumors 6502a

Fact of the matter is apple products have had issues, their QC didn't just go downhill for the iphone 5 and ipad mini, i think the products are just so beautiful that our expectations went up.

i do admit that iphone 5 is much more fragile, but the level of dedication people put into seeing irregularlities is quite amazing. Try it, go out and just buy a random piece of electronic, it'll not be perfect, nobody cares though. nobody pores through eveyr centimeter of every item they buy.

i actually think it's flattering to apple products that it attracts such dedication to its beauty, but we all know it's going to get a scratch by you in a week anyway so it's all for naught at the end.
FrozenDarkness is offline   1
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:03 PM   #80
OdT22
macrumors regular

I would probably just give up as suggested before.

Figure the odds at least. Apple might open a new store in your kitchen tomorrow, giving you a brand new avenue to harass daily, but probably not.

The safer ROI is likely getting a frequency card at Best Guys, or whatever they call themselves now, and buying the latest Nextus 4, 10, 14, 18, 24 or 37. iIsn't for you. You need MORE!
OdT22 is offline   1
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:26 PM   #81
JS3
macrumors regular

People will kill me for saying this but the full size is built so much stronger. I have both and everytime I pick up the mini I just feel like its not built as well.

People on here are cracking mini and bending them. Its crazy.
JS3 is offline   1
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:59 PM   #82
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS3 View Post
People will kill me for saying this but the full size is built so much stronger. I have both and everytime I pick up the mini I just feel like its not built as well.

How did you come to that assessment? Just because someone bent their iPad mini?

If I slipped and fell awkwardly on an iPad I bet I could bend it just as easily.

iPad mini Wi-Fi 64GB White iPhone 4 16GB White iPod Nano 8GB Silver
EMAN19 is offline   2
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:00 AM   #83
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS3 View Post

Whether you're wrong or right you're right.
AdonisSMU is offline   1
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:16 AM   #84
davideotape
macrumors 6502

I was going to suggest not leaving the store until satisfied but man now I'm imagining a man sitting in the middle of the apple store with a magnifying glass surrounded by hundreds of unwrapped ipad mini boxes
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:41 AM   #85
midwestfisherma
macrumors 6502

Are you OCD people inspecting your devices with a microscope??
midwestfisherma is offline   3
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:31 AM   #86
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

6!!! That's just crazy. If they all where damaged you have the worst luck. What else goes wrong in your life? With luck like that I wouldn't want to be near you.

On the other hand. Sometimes one is too OCD about things.
BHP41 is offline   1
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:46 AM   #87
jon3543
macrumors 6502

Yes. /thread
jon3543 is offline   1
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:57 AM   #88
wrkactjob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
heres that random spec of dust under not the screen butt he BLACK BORDER

its right above the light reflection
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR1 View Post
It doesn't matter if you call it a Nick or Scratch, whatever it is it's there....
You know what?...somewhere in the world there's a lonely guy sitting at a bar and he's called Nick Scratch...just imagine his grief.

Anyway OP thanks for posting the spec of dust....

and for anyone else who likes looking at incredibly small things under a microscope check out the work of Willard Wigan wow who's betting he could recreate the entire Foxconn factory inside the nick on's the OP's iPad?

Last edited by wrkactjob; Dec 10, 2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: apaling speling
wrkactjob is offline   4
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:06 AM   #89
jon3543
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caromsoft View Post
Chuck Norris would NEVER give up!
Chuck Norris can buy a perfect iPad the first time.
jon3543 is offline   1
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:27 AM   #90
marc55
macrumors 6502

Boy, we must be lucky. We have an iPad 3, iPad Mini, and an iPhone 4S, and all three were perfect out of the box.
marc55 is offline   2
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:01 AM   #91
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkactjob View Post

and for anyone else who likes looking at incredibly small things under a microscope check out the work of Willard Wigan wow who bettinging he could recreate the entire Foxconn factory inside the nick on's the OP's iPad?
Awesome stuff in that link....Thanks
SeanR1 is offline   2
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:32 AM   #92
bembol
macrumors 6502a

This is why I try not to buy (from) retail.

First, you're paying full price. Second, it can lead to this exchanging it multiple times.

Majority of my purchases are from kijiji. Not that I can call the seller and ask for a refund but I don't find myself inspecting it with a microscope.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:33 AM   #93
tl01
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
heres that random spec of dust under not the screen butt he BLACK BORDER

its right above the light reflection
Where is the dust spec?
tl01 is offline   3
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:38 AM   #94
bjm2660
macrumors 6502

Quote:
sounds crazy but every ipad mini had an issue. 4 of them had nicks on the bzel, one had dust and junk udner the screen and one had a home button that got stuck under the glass when u pres it.

my 6th one has tiny nicks all over the top part of te bezel

the apple store manager just said its barely noticable, but even the geniuses there acknowledge, "yeah we can see it".

i mean, i spent 600 dollars on this, its my first ipad and i love it but, is there really a flawless product or am i having serious ccrappy luck. im not trying to be obessive, just trying to get what i paid for. yes it doesnt efect the device functionaly but, from apple, you'd expect nothing less

p.s- i didnt open 6 at the store, the last 3 i did, the first 3 was through online orders
Be careful not to be dropped as a customer from the online retailer. A recent thread covered this happening to someone whom Amazon deemed as not worth the cost of business (shipping costs from returns).
bjm2660 is offline   1
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:57 AM   #95
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm2660 View Post
Be careful not to be dropped as a customer from the online retailer. A recent thread covered this happening to someone whom Amazon deemed as not worth the cost of business (shipping costs from returns).
really? has that happened with apple customers?

but this is retail store.
Chuck-Norris is offline   1
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:16 AM   #96
Max(IT)
macrumors 68040

Quote:
3 nicks on the very top part of the bezel neart top corner

theres more on the botton identical to that

found a spec of dust under, not the screen, but the black border portion.

this last exchange i paid 150 more for the cellular model
And you did exchange it for that "defect" ???

Ok, so my opinion is to give up and buy a plastic crappad ... you'll never be satisfied.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
NO!! That is not what I'm saying at all!

Here let me break it down to you. Here's my iPhone at roughly normal viewing distance.

Thumb resize.

Now here's a macro of the same phone taken a few seconds later that shows a close up of a nick I have in the chamfered edge (bottom corner of the phone in the photo, upper left corner when looking at actual phone).
Thumb resize.

Do you see how it's damn near impossible to see from normal viewing distances but looks like a big deal in the close up shot. That little guy is probably bigger than the OP's nicks or "scratches" as you like to call them.

It is not a huge distraction or eye sore. It does not take away from enjoyment of using the device. It does not take away from functionality of the device. If I had picked up the OP's iPad, I would not have noticed those tiny markings.

Look, I understand you've had problems with iOS in the past and you've moved on to Android, so what is the point of you still being here? Every single one of your post are negative. You're not adding anything constructive to the conversation, just telling people to revolt against apple. Please, do the rest of us a favor and stop.
Haters will keep hating
Nokia Lumia 1520 - 32Gb

Last edited by Max(IT); Dec 10, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Max(IT) is offline   2
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:10 AM   #97
JS3
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAN19 View Post
How did you come to that assessment? Just because someone bent their iPad mini?

If I slipped and fell awkwardly on an iPad I bet I could bend it just as easily.
You should try it. I would bet that you would probably bounce off it depending on your weight.
JS3 is offline   1
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:12 PM   #98
Chuck-Norris
Banned

returned the ipad mini for full refund

i had enough
Chuck-Norris is offline   2
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:35 PM   #99
FrozenDarkness
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

i had enough
I'm sure apple feels the same way. Can I bring you when I buy my next car?
FrozenDarkness is offline   2
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:23 PM   #100
Esoom
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to Esoom
Quote:

i had enough
Meh, I'm calling shenanigans.

I have a few ideas what's up with this thread, but I can't prove it so I'll just call shenanigans in general.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...ls-shenanigans

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland