Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Apple TV with 64gb of storage. A6X graphics and a Bluetooth game controller + App Store = RIP console market.

Hmm, what can Apple bring to the table that the console trio (Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo) doesn't offer?

Wii U is nice (TVii and gamepad as second screen) and on the market. Sony/MS will release their 8th generation consoles in a few months also.

Especially MS' new console looks like a very strong contender in the living room, combined with Kinect and "Smartglass". They could also release a low-end version of their console (XBox TV):

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/1806...blow_of_an_expensive_Durango.php#.UMX-c7aG-K4

Also, console HW is heavily subsidized. MS lost billions when they entered the market a few years ago. Don't know if Apple wants to go down that route and loose money on HW, would be a first for them.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Besides games what apps would be useful on Apple Tv? I can't think of any.

Specialized content involving multiple video streams, live vs. time delays, statistics, etc. Also "event" content considered independent of normal outlets. The Olympics would be ideal, having a plethora of simultaneous feeds, and accompanying data, something which people (moi!) would be willing to pay a hundred bucks or so for, even if just to avoid the "lots of strings attached" of normal cable TV.

Just 'cuz you can't think of any doesn't mean someone's not cooking up ideas worth millions.

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I hate to be "that guy", but...

I wouldn't read so much into it. iTunes store probably just got tangled up with the store on Apple TV. All those rectangular images are vectorized so they would appear and fit on the Apple TV screen no problem.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Wouldn't it be an issue that the current AppleTV's only have something like 8GB of flash storage for caching? I have an AppleTV 2, and I'm sure the 3 is the same (feel free to correct).

If there would be 3rd party apps on the AppleTV, how would someone have more than, lets say 15 apps with current storage? Would it maybe cache apps the same way as movies? Where it downloads whats needed as you get there? That could be problematic, no?

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Apple won't focus on competing. They will just provide the tools and forget about it. Developers will pick up on it. So if its a success great but there don't be any backlash if it doesn't work cause the Apple TV will still do all it's normal functions perfectly.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I, as a developer, don't think Apple really needs to do anything to support apps on the Apple TV over what they already have.

They've given us plenty to stream content from iOS devices to Apple TVs... I don't see much value in being able to control an Apple TV without an iOS device, for indie devs. The Apple remote works for navigating audio/video content and not much else... Without an iOS device there's no practice means of controlling any other type of app, and for an indie developer, I'd say making an app for streaming content really isn't their thing... Like, they'd need content to stream, which means they're a huge content provider company, not an indie developer.

johnswilson1

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Apple TV Apps are the future

Besides games what apps would be useful on Apple Tv? I can't think of any.

I can. Dedicated TV channels. It would be a great way for a studio or filmmaker to serve video content without having to get a cable deal. Also, sports. The Pac-12 doesn't have too many cable deals on the east coast. But they could sell a dedicated app through Apple TV. Really, it's unlimited.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Millions of :apple:TVs already in living rooms not occupied by other consoles.

Ok, Apple could go after the non-console (older?) owning demographic.

I don't see Apple TVs as competition for consoles at the moment.

Apple TV works fine for streaming videos etc., but is underpowered in other areas (not enough storage for games/apps, very weak graphics, missing controller...).

In theory, Apple could offer streamed games (Sony bought provider Gaikai for this purpose recently), but quality is not the same yet.

A console like PS3 with built-in Blu Ray, Netflix etc. or an Xbox/Kinect combo looks like a better value for most consumers. That's is maybe why Apple threats AppleTV as a "hobby" only?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I, as a developer, don't think Apple really needs to do anything to support apps on the Apple TV over what they already have.

They've given us plenty to stream content from iOS devices to Apple TVs... I don't see much value in being able to control an Apple TV without an iOS device, for indie devs. The Apple remote works for navigating audio/video content and not much else... Without an iOS device there's no practice means of controlling any other type of app, and for an indie developer, I'd say making an app for streaming content really isn't their thing... Like, they'd need content to stream, which means they're a huge content provider company, not an indie developer.

you lost me at "indie"

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
All Apple need to do is create a "Controller App", just like the Remote App currently available.

I agree with this. There will be so many 3rd party hardware options that Apple won't need to 'dilute' their brand by going 'backwards' with a dedicated hardware controller.

3rd party options will either be a complete unit, or an iOS device case with the thumbsticks, buttons etc...

This would be my guess as well, of course, but non-tactile controls while looking at the TV? Seems like a mess. Perhaps for accelerometer / gyro functions but touches and drags? Not convinced it could work well enough.

Maybe mouse and keyboard? :p

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Seemless integration with the apps you/your kids play on your/their iOS devices?

Bingo! Plus Mom and Dad would be more likely to use the Apple TV Apps for other things because they use them already on their phone. Add games, and someday add Al-a-cart TV channels and you have a winner.

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
About time they get serious the gaming business is a billion dollar field.

THink for a second.

Apple TV with 16 / 32 / 64 gigs of storage 3 price points.
A6 Processor 1 gig ram

Free Apple Controller APP for iphone, itouch and ipad that works as a remote with the Apple TV. Apple TV can work like a Wii-U as well. Two players One on TV and one on the iPhone or iPad screen airplay synching.

A6 Processor 1 gig ram
Apps $0.99 through 19.99 (Killer feature)

Optional Bluetooth controller that is identical in layout and buttons to free app. So you can choice.

$149.99 for the Apple TV / Game console...
Activate with iCloud and allows you to stream / play your music while you game as well.

This would without a doubt make a major dent in the Game market...

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
Without a dedicated GPU, the :apple:TV will not be able to compete with the consoles. That being said, non-game apps could be huge.

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Without a dedicated GPU, the :apple:TV will not be able to compete with the consoles. That being said, non-game apps could be huge.

Not true look at the iPad and iPhones there is no dedicated like a console and they sell boat loads.. Just improve it some and your good to go.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008

Agreed, everything is already there with iPhone and iPad. ATV is underpowered for games and videos can be streamed over AirPlay. There's nothing to gain for Apple when opening up the current ATV. At the moment you need the most expensive remote in the world, the iPhone or iPad, and that's how they like it.

Now, I would like to see some innovation in iOS apps that use the ATV as a second screen instead of AirPlay Mirroring. Asphalt is the only app I know of that does this.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Hmm, what can Apple bring to the table that the console trio (Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo) doesn't offer?

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/1806...blow_of_an_expensive_Durango.php#.UMX-c7aG-K4

Also, console HW is heavily subsidized. MS lost billions when they entered the market a few years ago. Don't know if Apple wants to go down that route and loose money on HW, would be a first for them.

Apple brings ability to sell its "console" for $100 and still make a profit on it. And there are already millions of these things sold (heck, I've got three myself). These would probably be casual games for the most part and they certainly wouldn't contend with the next generation consoles. But if Apple dropped an A6 processor into the Apple TV, I'm not sure how far behind that processing power would be from the current consoles.

I really don't see why they couldn't support any old bluetooth controller as well, with a little bit of programming.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Agreed, everything is already there with iPhone and iPad. ATV is underpowered for games and videos can be streamed over AirPlay. There's nothing to gain for Apple when opening up the current ATV. At the moment you need the most expensive remote in the world, the iPhone or iPad, and that's how they like it.

Now, I would like to see some innovation in iOS apps that use the ATV as a second screen instead of AirPlay Mirroring. Asphalt is the only app I know of that does this.

There are other apps that utilize the second screen, but not many. I've experimented with it but it seems to me that the market isn't large enough... Not enough people out there own an Apple TV and are interested in using it to stream second screen content from an iOS game, I don't think.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

Are you sure? The A6 is some pretty good tech and I assume it could be dropped into an AppleTV easily and at not much more additional cost. On a lot of stuff the A6 seems to have benchmarks that would be comparable to a desktop from five years ago. Considering how old the consoles are, I'm not sure how different the graphics would be. Next generation consoles is a different story, but we are at least a year from those coming out.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Apple brings ability to sell its "console" for $100 and still make a profit on it. And there are already millions of these things sold (heck, I've got three myself). These would probably be casual games for the most part and they certainly wouldn't contend with the next generation consoles. But if Apple dropped an A6 processor into the Apple TV, I'm not sure how far behind that processing power would be from the current consoles.

Processing power is one thing, but the main problem for Apple (at $99 and turning a profit or break-even) is the GPU.

Console power for games is dependent on a powerful GPU, that's why most consoles sell at a loss and cost more.

Unless Apple streams the games or only does casual games like Angry Birds I don't see people choosing it over "traditional" consoles (Wii U, PS3, XBox).

On the other hand, console makers will release cheaper versions for audio/video streams and casual games (the rumored XBox TV):

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/21/3674802/xbox-tv-set-top-box-casual-gaming-streaming-2013

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.