Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:47 AM   #3951
OllyW
Moderator
 
OllyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Black Country, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozMan68 View Post
Okay...up arrows...up votes...whatever...

I'm defending common sense.....I refuse to defend the stupidity of people.

If everyone knows how bad Apple maps truly are (especially in certain areas of the world) then I have very little sympathy for their getting lost when even Apple has offered up alternatives, most of which are free.

Being sick of these stupid reports of "nearly dying" or "could of/would of/should of" scenarios and complaints on here is getting old.

Even I don't trust Apple Maps enough to use them blindly when I might be late or am worried about possibly traveling into a dangerous area....and they have been perfect for me.
Most normal people do not spend hours on internet forums discussing technology, so they may not realise the Apple Maps app is unreliable and shouldn't be trusted.

Apple have a reputation for turning out good quality products so it's understandable that people will use their apps in good faith and expect them to work.
__________________
Some Apple stuff
Some other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/disco-tramps
OllyW is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:51 AM   #3952
MozMan68
macrumors 65816
 
MozMan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Right here...
Do me a favor...in the article, they quote one couple going from Adelaide to Mildura.

Try those directions on Apple Maps and see if you would have trusted Apple maps even after it asked for you to make the first turn.

Momma always said, "Stupid is as stupid does."

I've always said...if it screws me up once, I'll be pissed off too, but hasn't happened yet due to living in the US...and maybe lucky as well.
MozMan68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:53 AM   #3953
Heb 7:4
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
My word. I had never noticed those up arrows before! Seen it on other forums, but as "rep" where you click a little pair of scales and can leave a message.

You miss the point. Apple maps are ****. Sure, they work well in some parts of the world, but taken as a whole they are pretty awful and importantly significantly worse than the product they replaced. Given how bad they are (and they really are), it was natural for people to be pissed off, and to say they were pissed off. It didn't really help for you (and others to be fair) to come on and try to excuse/justify/minimise every issue. It just makes you look like a desperate apologist.

Maps are just not good. Apple to their credit recognised this pretty quickly, and Cook fired those who were responsible. No one doubts that Apple have the resources and the will to get their **** together and improve things, but still, apple maps has been a cock up of frankly epic proportions. Until this whole thing happened, I thought all the talk of "apple fanboys" was just those who preferred android getting their panties in a twist, but I have to concede they were correct. There are people for whom any criticism of apple, no matter how valid, has to be challenged and if possible explained away. It is tedious. I am a massive apple fan, am too locked into their ecosystem to really make moving to android an option, but having invested so much into apple I feel quite entitled to say when they have made such a massive error.

You aren't defending common sense. You are flogging a dead horse, for reasons I can't fathom. Do you have apple shares or something?
Heb 7:4 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:55 AM   #3954
The Phazer
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozMan68 View Post
If everyone knows how bad Apple maps truly are (especially in certain areas of the world) then I have very little sympathy for their getting lost when even Apple has offered up alternatives, most of which are free.
Oh please.

There are people in the world who don't know who the Pope is, never mind who the mapping provider on their phone is.

For a normal, everyday user who has no interest in technology all they know is that they used to have a maps app that worked great, and installed an "upgrade".

Are they really supposed to be as aware that it was a change in provider and subsequently ruined the information changing the routes from a reasonably popular tourist information spot to leading them into dangerous territory?
The Phazer is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:56 AM   #3955
OllyW
Moderator
 
OllyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Black Country, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozMan68 View Post
Try those directions on Apple Maps and see if you would have trusted Apple maps even after it asked for you to make the first turn.
I can't try it just now, my iPad running iOS6 is at home and my iPhone is still on iOS5 (because I subscribed to this thread back in June).
__________________
Some Apple stuff
Some other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/disco-tramps
OllyW is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:00 AM   #3956
MozMan68
macrumors 65816
 
MozMan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Right here...
Come on...are you really "defending" the people who got lost?

Look at a map (even Apple Maps )

Driving from Adelaide to Mildura has about TWO possible routes...on major roads...these people are idiots....and they're blaming a phone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
I can't try it just now, my iPad running iOS6 is at home and my iPhone is still on iOS5 (because I subscribed to this thread back in June).
Best post in a month!
MozMan68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:07 AM   #3957
m00min
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozMan68 View Post
Best post in a month!
I agree. Maybe if people weren't in such a hurry to update their device the nanosecond the new IOS gets released they wouldn't be getting lost right now :P Updating right away is even more silly when there's no way to downgrade. Of course this doesn't help people who bought new devices, but if I'd been thinking of upgrading to an iPhone 5 this would have held me off doing that. Maybe if Apple saw a dip in cash flow they might take more care, fat chance of that though.
__________________
Obligatory dick waving: 2012 i7/8GB/256SSD MBA; 2010 i7/8GB/256SSD MBP; 2006 Mac Mini; iPhone 4S; iPad 3
m00min is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:16 AM   #3958
MozMan68
macrumors 65816
 
MozMan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Right here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
I agree. Maybe if people weren't in such a hurry to update their device the nanosecond the new IOS gets released they wouldn't be getting lost right now :P Updating right away is even more silly when there's no way to downgrade. Of course this doesn't help people who bought new devices, but if I'd been thinking of upgrading to an iPhone 5 this would have held me off doing that. Maybe if Apple saw a dip in cash flow they might take more care, fat chance of that though.
Second best post in a month....
MozMan68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:38 AM   #3959
Heb 7:4
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
I agree. Maybe if people weren't in such a hurry to update their device the nanosecond the new IOS gets released they wouldn't be getting lost right now :P Updating right away is even more silly when there's no way to downgrade. Of course this doesn't help people who bought new devices, but if I'd been thinking of upgrading to an iPhone 5 this would have held me off doing that. Maybe if Apple saw a dip in cash flow they might take more care, fat chance of that though.
"It just works"

Apple sold itself as being distinct from Microsoft in that it's products were especialy user-friendly. People bought into this and apple's market share soared. It is simply no defence to then say users are at fault for not being technically proficient enough to have researched and found out that the update that their phone was prompting them to make would take away a muck loved and used feature and replace it with a significantly inferior one.
Heb 7:4 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:00 AM   #3960
m00min
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
"It just works"

Apple sold itself as being distinct from Microsoft in that it's products were especialy user-friendly. People bought into this and apple's market share soared. It is simply no defence to then say users are at fault for not being technically proficient enough to have researched and found out that the update that their phone was prompting them to make would take away a muck loved and used feature and replace it with a significantly inferior one.
Technically proficient my arse. My 65 year old mum told me on the release of IOS6 she wasn't updating her iPhone yet, she wanted to wait for the guinea pigs to try it first. Guess what? She's still running IOS5. She isn't particularly technical, she just doesn't believe all the marketing fluff put out by a company who's main aim is to part her from her cash. It was on the main news, it's not like she had to go searching for information.
__________________
Obligatory dick waving: 2012 i7/8GB/256SSD MBA; 2010 i7/8GB/256SSD MBP; 2006 Mac Mini; iPhone 4S; iPad 3
m00min is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:07 AM   #3961
andyroberts
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: London
think of apple maps as like embarking on a magical mystery tour!
__________________
Mac Mini 2012 | i7 2.6Ghz | 16GB RAM | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB SSD | DROBO 5D Thunderbolt | 3TB WD MYBOOK STUDIO USB3 | 64GB iPhone 5 | TV
andyroberts is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:12 AM   #3962
Heb 7:4
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
Technically proficient my arse. My 65 year old mum told me on the release of IOS6 she wasn't updating her iPhone yet, she wanted to wait for the guinea pigs to try it first. Guess what? She's still running IOS5. She isn't particularly technical, she just doesn't believe all the marketing fluff put out by a company who's main aim is to part her from her cash. It was on the main news, it's not like she had to go searching for information.
Good for your mum! My dad hit the upgrade button to get rid of it, despite my warning him not to upgrade. Now he is ****ed off he's lost google maps (doesn't like the web version).

Saying its all ok because your mum managed it is as rubbish as claiming apple maps are great because they work in San Francisco. Apple marketed themselves on "it just works". They profited on the back of that trust invested in them. Then they have the phones pop up prompts to upgrade that many people will simply click ok to, then finding they've lost a major feature they liked.
Heb 7:4 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:20 AM   #3963
m00min
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
Good for your mum! My dad hit the upgrade button to get rid of it, despite my warning him not to upgrade. Now he is ****ed off he's lost google maps (doesn't like the web version).

Saying its all ok because your mum managed it is as rubbish as claiming apple maps are great because they work in San Francisco. Apple marketed themselves on "it just works". They profited on the back of that trust invested in them. Then they have the phones pop up prompts to upgrade that many people will simply click ok to, then finding they've lost a major feature they liked.
Do you believe everything you are told? By a company with a vested interest? If so you have no one to blame but yourself. Yes, it sucks that Apple cocked up their maps, but claiming that somehow you, the customer has no responsibility to READ UP ON WHAT YOU'RE INSTALLING is just silly.
__________________
Obligatory dick waving: 2012 i7/8GB/256SSD MBA; 2010 i7/8GB/256SSD MBP; 2006 Mac Mini; iPhone 4S; iPad 3
m00min is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:50 AM   #3964
Heb 7:4
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
Do you believe everything you are told? By a company with a vested interest? If so you have no one to blame but yourself. Yes, it sucks that Apple cocked up their maps, but claiming that somehow you, the customer has no responsibility to READ UP ON WHAT YOU'RE INSTALLING is just silly.
I don't, no. But I'll let my Dad know he has no one to blame but himself. I'm sure that will help. Probably what Tim Cook should have said in his letter too eh?
Heb 7:4 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:50 AM   #3965
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
count me in the "Maps is Disaster" group.

Cant wait for Google Maps to come out!
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:55 AM   #3966
Idefix
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Basic fact: any app that generates this amount of extremely bad publicity is a disaster.

No way to get around that...

And, guess what? Apple could have mitigated the disaster by re-instituting the old Google Maps--and simply letting people choose which would be default.

Instead, Apple keeps the disaster going...
Idefix is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:04 PM   #3967
2ndchancephones
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denton, TX
Personally, I love the Apple maps!!!
2ndchancephones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:47 PM   #3968
m00min
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
I don't, no. But I'll let my Dad know he has no one to blame but himself. I'm sure that will help. Probably what Tim Cook should have said in his letter too eh?
You probably should, maybe he'll remember that next time. I don't mean to be crappy but it's similar to people losing their data when a computer goes bang. They haven't backed up and it's gone, they only tend to make that mistake once. Hell, I did it, lost a load of work in college when the floppy disk got corrupted, now I back up frequently. No amount of telling people they need to actually look after their tech sinks in, until they lose something important.

Apple are absolutely responsible for the crappy map data but the end user needs to either look at what they're installing or call a geeky family member or friend to advise them. It's just simple self-preservation. I help out my mac/ios owning family members (I draw the line at dealing with PCs, it takes up too much time). They've all been told, "don't just hit update, call me and I will advise you".
__________________
Obligatory dick waving: 2012 i7/8GB/256SSD MBA; 2010 i7/8GB/256SSD MBP; 2006 Mac Mini; iPhone 4S; iPad 3
m00min is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:02 PM   #3969
KdParker
macrumors 68030
 
KdParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idefix View Post
Basic fact: any app that generates this amount of extremely bad publicity is a disaster.

No way to get around that...

And, guess what? Apple could have mitigated the disaster by re-instituting the old Google Maps--and simply letting people choose which would be default.

Instead, Apple keeps the disaster going...
Good grief...are we still on this....

People if you have an issue, then report it and move on.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
I can't try it just now, my iPad running iOS6 is at home and my iPhone is still on iOS5 (because I subscribed to this thread back in June).
Are things getting better in England yet?
__________________
64g iPhone6+Space Grey; 16g iPhone6 Silver;16g iPhone5s Space Grey;
15" retina - MBP 2.6 GHZ 16 RAM;
iPad4 retina
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:14 PM   #3970
cyks
macrumors 68020
 
cyks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Westchester County, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Good grief...are we still on this....

People if you have an issue, then report it and move on.
It's hard to move on when problems we've reported months ago still haven't been fixed.
cyks is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:39 PM   #3971
Idefix
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
And it's especially hard to move on when you get the feeling that Apple is still treating the disaster with contempt...
Idefix is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:02 PM   #3972
nikomakhos
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
Technically proficient my arse. My 65 year old mum told me on the release of IOS6 she wasn't updating her iPhone yet, she wanted to wait for the guinea pigs to try it first. Guess what? She's still running IOS5. She isn't particularly technical, she just doesn't believe all the marketing fluff put out by a company who's main aim is to part her from her cash. It was on the main news, it's not like she had to go searching for information.
Maybe the main news talks about Apple Maps in USA, but I think I've only seen one news story about it in my own language and that was on a computer related site, not something that an average person would read.

That being said, I've pretty much given up on Maps as it's gotten pretty clear that Apple is not taking it very seriously. As so many others, I too reported a few incorrect places around my house 3 months ago when iOS6 came out and none of them have been corrected yet.
nikomakhos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:25 PM   #3973
KdParker
macrumors 68030
 
KdParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyks View Post
It's hard to move on when problems we've reported months ago still haven't been fixed.
I understand that, but a majority of the people are having no issues with Apple maps.

Google is not coming back....at least not as an inline app.

We have forgotten that google maps is not perfect. My wife had major issues if Google maps in Washington DC while the beta version of Apple maps was correct.

That doesn't mean that google maps is a complete disaster.
__________________
64g iPhone6+Space Grey; 16g iPhone6 Silver;16g iPhone5s Space Grey;
15" retina - MBP 2.6 GHZ 16 RAM;
iPad4 retina
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:22 PM   #3974
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
I understand that, but a majority of the people are having no issues with Apple maps.

Google is not coming back....at least not as an inline app.

We have forgotten that google maps is not perfect. My wife had major issues if Google maps in Washington DC while the beta version of Apple maps was correct.

That doesn't mean that google maps is a complete disaster.
I beg to differ. The only people who don't have problems with Apple maps are those that reside in the States. If you don't already know by now, Apple maps outside US is , quoting others, "a total poop".
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:43 PM   #3975
Mxbzz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
I beg to differ. The only people who don't have problems with Apple maps are those that reside in the States. If you don't already know by now, Apple maps outside US is , quoting others, "a total poop".
Even Apple Maps in the States is pretty shoddy. More specifically, the POI locations are just horrible. I was looking for directions to a school in San Francisco and it took me nowhere near the right destination.
I also wanted to use Apple Maps to check transit prices for the BART metro, but instead was directed to install another app. Google Maps on Safari is not nearly as good as thr native app. All in all, while Apple Maps looks simplistic and clean, it fails at the fundamentals (in my experience anyway)
Mxbzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Maps satellite pictures a disaster jafingi iOS 6 67 Nov 3, 2013 07:28 AM
Wow. iOS 7 is a disaster. joneun iOS 7 604 Jul 12, 2013 02:22 PM
Google Maps App -- Issues (but not a disaster!) MozMan68 iOS 6 21 Dec 14, 2012 09:37 AM
Wow. The iOS 6 forum is a disaster. Kukulcan Site and Forum Feedback 12 Oct 13, 2012 12:42 AM
Maps Makes My Town Look Like a Disaster Area! NewAnger iOS 6 10 Sep 19, 2012 04:31 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC